Failed to understand "and now' - What does it mean?

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 09:57 pm

Context:

http://t1.qpic.cn/mblogpic/a2a0b662050fa3c9d2f2/460

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 09:50 am
@oristarA,

I'm guessing because this is not written in good English

"My major is orthopaedic research in Stanford and now."

I think it probably means: My major is orthopaedic research done at Stanford University and also here.
oristarA

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 10:12 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I'm guessing because this is not written in good English

"My major is orthopaedic research in Stanford and now."

I think it probably means: My major is orthopaedic research done at Stanford University and also here.

Thanks.
The rest of it is good English?
McTag

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 12:29 pm
@oristarA,

No, it is not.
oristarA

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 05:39 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

No, it is not.

Well. Since the passage is so short, I wonder you would like to make it a pretty one.
McTag

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 01:21 am
@oristarA,

If you will accept more guesswork, I will attempt to do that later. Unfortunately the text will not accept COPY and PASTE commands.
oristarA

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 01:25 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

If you will accept more guesswork, I will attempt to do that later. Unfortunately the text will not accept COPY and PASTE commands.

Here for COPY and PASTE:

My major is orthopaedic research in Stanford and now. What is discussed in this paper is what is accepted in this field. But we still need more and bigger cohort study.
McTag

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 07:27 am
@oristarA,

Okay. This text is so slight and imprecise, I ask myself why you are interested in it.

Quote:
My major is orthopaedic research in Stanford and now. What is discussed in this paper is what is accepted in this field. But we still need more and bigger cohort study.

Here's my take on that. Note, the word "cohort" is seldom seen, and to me seems out of place here.

My major (the principal discipline studied) is orthopaedics, involving research at Stanford University and also here, up to the present time. What is discussed in this paper is what is accepted in this field (mainstream orthodoxy). But we still need more extensive and bigger samples to study, to develop this work.

(Sorry if it seems a bit clunky. And it did need some guesswork on my part.)
oristarA

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 09:08 am
@McTag,
Cool. I'm inspired.
I'm interested in the passage, because it is involved in a heated debate presently underway in China.
0 Replies