Setanta

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 06:33 am
The objections to ethnic humor of this type have two sources. The first is that you are tarring millions of people with the same brush. For example, while there are undoubtedly stupid Poles (just as there are stupid Spaniards, and Moroccans, and Pakistanis, and Chinese and Australians, etc.)--it is infamous to characterize the entire population of a nation as being stupid. The second objection is that these insults are interchangeable. They can be and usually have been applied to the populations of several nations. It is one of the lowest forms of humor because it is, itself, obviously stupid.
Vernon of Prague

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 04:20 pm
@Setanta,
well thank you Mr. Obvious for stating the obvious and for concluding ridiculous. If you truly desire to use smart words to rubbish ideas, here is one : where is logical link between "applying the same brush to everybody" and "low type of humour". Aren't at least most types of humour based on same objectification - maybe policemen, engineers, geeks, etc. Everybody cat tell the same of most of them. Engineers have low social skills but they are smart. Many similar jokes deal with geeks or Chinese in this matter. Not to speak some engineers or geeks or whoever are less socially capable, some more.

I think the point is that funny is what people take for funny. Most of my friends (18-30 y.o.) take these jokes for "hilarious". There are millions of fans of Country Balls on the internet. second, it's "better society" who dictates what is low and what is not. Most of these fans are engineers, businessmen, lawyers...

I think the conclusion is clear. If you don't like country jokes, fine, but don't sentence such judgement over people who do like it.
Vernon of Prague

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 02:35 pm
@Vernon of Prague,

at Olivier5

Quote:
which is precisely why I can't laugh with Izzy on his French jokes: he thinks they are based on actual facts

but they are! Laughing

Her's typical show of application of French culture in Canada (ripped from some documentary or something...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WULsZJxPfws
Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 02:43 pm
@Vernon of Prague,
Keep your snide remarks to yourself, you pea-wit. No, most humor resides of the inadequacies or misfortunes of individuals, not entire nations, nor even subgroups of society.

If i see you saying stupid things, such as you just have, i'm going to tell you you're stupid. Get over it.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 04:12 pm
@Vernon of Prague,
As an English Canadian once put it: there are dozens of songs about Montreal, but none about Toronto. That should tell you something...
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 04:48 pm
@Olivier5,
That's because Celine Dion never bleedin' shuts up.

That bloody Titsnic song. Music to commit suicide by, or what.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 05:48 pm
@Lordyaswas,
It's about a British ship so you're not entitled to complain, not about this particular piece of CĂ©linian art at least.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 09:08 pm
@Setanta,
So you believe these jokes to be true ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 09:09 pm
@Setanta,
Ah, yes, real insults are much better than pretend jokes . Didnt take you long to get around to insulting people did it ?
0 Replies

Vernon of Prague

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 05:02 am
@Vernon of Prague,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq8IqZXy1s8
0 Replies

Vernon of Prague

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 05:12 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
As an English Canadian once put it: there are dozens of songs about Montreal, but none about Toronto. That should tell you something...

just as there are millions jokes on French but a few on Czechs. That tells something too Smile
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 05:16 am
@Setanta,
I recall the ethnic humor went through several cycles in my life. First it was "Italians are dumb", then Polaks and Slovaks were dumb"
Then it was Arabs and Muslims are all killers.....oh wait"

It all gets old and most are merely recycled for a new generation.
I did like the French Army knife though.

Any Newfie Jokes worth listening to?
timur

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 05:34 am
@farmerman,
I like this one:

SUSIE TOBIN FELL IN LOVE;
SHE PLANNED TO MARRY JOE
SHE WAS SO 'APPY 'BOUT IT ALL
SHE TOLD HER PAPPY SO.

PAPPY TOLD HER, SUSIE, MAID,
YOU'LL HAVE TO FIND ANUDDER.
I'D JUST AS SOON YOUR MA DON'T KNOW,
BUT JOE IS YOUR 'ALF BRUDDER.

SO SUSIE PUT ASIDE HER JOE
AND PLANNED TO MARRY WILL,
BUT AFTER TELLING PAPPY THIS,
HE SAID, "DERE'S TROUBLE STILL.

YOU CAN'T MARRY WILL, MY DEAR,
AND PLEASE DON'T TELL YOUR MUDDER,
BUT WILL AND JOE, AND SEVERAL MO'
I KNOWS IS YOUR 'ALF BRUDDER.

BUT MUDDER KNEW AND SAID, MY CHILD,
JUST DO WHAT MAKES YOU 'APPY.
MARRY WILL OR MARRY JOE.
YOU HAIN'T NO KIN TO PAPPY.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 05:41 am
@Vernon of Prague,
Quote:
just as there are millions jokes on French but a few on Czechs. That tells something too

Yes, that the Czechs are not significant enough to be worth joking about.
FBM

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 05:56 am
@timur,
OK, that was good. Laughing
0 Replies

Vernon of Prague

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 06:05 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Yes, that the Czechs are not significant enough to be worth joking about.

Yes, Czechia is so boring country... We have little to no unemployment... No immigrant issues... Muslims don't bomb our butts... Most of us speaks English... humble people... peeing in our streets is illegal. Just as camping on city squares... Hehehe! But our wine sucks, we have only beer and plum brandy and we use the same type of bread to everything. Also, we have to import our cheese and meat, what sometimes turns to be some horse from Poland... Smile

Vernon of Prague

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 06:09 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Any Newfie Jokes worth listening to

Not really, but since France is turning to Africa, England to Pakistan and Germany to Turkey, you can make fun of these nations and pretend to speak of Fr, En, Ge?
0 Replies

Vernon of Prague

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 06:13 am
@Olivier5,
this is our president and his song. It calls p@ssy here p@ssy there as he likes to use such expressions in public... Last time I saw him he had egg yolk on his face....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEbksaOlqiY
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 06:14 am
@Vernon of Prague,
So you're like the Swiss but poorer?
Vernon of Prague

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 06:23 am
you know, you, ladies and gentleman are a bit older people so I am starting to understand that this sort of humour is not really your cup of tea... in my generation this is very popular, but I see we probably won't find common talk. If you don't find funny this, then I think posting any more country jokes would be basically waste of servers...

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10501993_1612882312312383_5297441106994046539_n.jpg?oh=226b2081a35ea1732e9443dc9d823e96&oe=55EF06F7
0 Replies