results/result

WBYeats

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 01:27 am
What's the difference in meaning between

-Results of Okinawa School students compared to that of Japanese Candidates in the AL exam have been released.
-Results of Okinawa School students compared to those of Japanese Candidates in the AL exam have been released.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,104 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2015 01:37 am
@WBYeats,
There is no "difference" in meaning. Only one sentence (the second) has meaning. The first sentence is simply wrong. The word "results" is plural therefore "that" is incorrect.
WBYeats

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 05:36 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thank you.

What do you think is the reason that 'those' (=results, not 'result') is the only correct form?

1. There is more than one student forming 'Japanese candidates', so each student has one result, and they altogether have 'results'.

2. One student has one result in one subject; Japanese candidates each take more than one subject, so they have 'results'.
McTag

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 06:21 am
@WBYeats,

A plural subject needs a plural verb, and a plural pronoun where required.

results - those
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 06:23 am
@WBYeats,
It's called number agreement. Subjects and verbs have to agree in number, and pronouns and antecedents have to, also.
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 11:14 pm
Thank you for your replies, but I still haven't solved this problem.

What's the difference between result and results generally speaking, disregarding the question I asked first.
FBM

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2015 11:22 pm
@WBYeats,
WBYeats wrote:

What's the difference in meaning between

-Results of Okinawa School students compared to that of Japanese Candidates in the AL exam have been released.

Plural 'results' doesn't match singular 'that.' Grammar error.

Quote:
-Results of Okinawa School students compared to those of Japanese Candidates in the AL exam have been released.

Plural 'results' match plural 'those.'

It's not that the meaning changes. The reader will understand the message, even in the one with the grammatical flaw. If this were spoken in dialog, nobody would even notice it. Or, if they did, they wouldn't go to the trouble of correcting you.

On the other hand, if you're doing academic writing, then this is exactly the kind of issue that you should be focusing on. Number agreement between pronouns and antecedents.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2015 02:10 am
@WBYeats,

Quote:
What's the difference between result and results generally speaking, disregarding the question I asked first.

result = general outcome (pass/fail, win/lose)
results = individual marks (enabling a comparison in individual subjects)
WBYeats

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 01:17 am
@McTag,
Do you mean even when we are talking about one subject, only 'results' is possible, and 'result' is wrong?

eg I took the physics exam last week, and the result will be announced tomorrow.
eg I took the physics exam last week, and the results will be announced tomorrow.
McTag

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2015 09:39 am
@WBYeats,

No. Why are you so awkward?

It depends what the intended meaning of the statement is:

My result will be announced tomorrow.
My results (if there are more than one) will be announced tomorrow.
Everyone's results will be announced tomorrow.
WBYeats

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 04:43 am
@McTag,
By 'if there are more than one', do you mean 'more than one subject(=discipline, not a term of grammar)'?
McTag

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 07:15 am
@WBYeats,

More than one subject/ discipline, and hence more than one result/ mark.
WBYeats

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 10:52 am
@McTag,
Based on your explanation or definition, is this correct?

-Tom's and Peter's results compared to that of mine will be released tomorrow.

Here we go back to the question I asked in the first post; here I think 'that' is the only correct form, and 'those' would be wrong, because I took the exam of one subject only; do you agree?
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 11:16 am
@WBYeats,
WBYeats wrote:
s this correct?

-Tom's and Peter's results compared to that of mine will be released tomorrow.

That doesn't even make sense.
McTag

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 03:11 pm
@WBYeats,

Quote:
Here we go back to the question I asked in the first post; here I think 'that' is the only correct form, and 'those' would be wrong, because I took the exam of one subject only; do you agree?

This is nothing like the question you asked in the first post, but yes.

To go back to a question I asked earlier: why are you so awkward?
WBYeats

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2015 08:00 am
@McTag,
Um...what's the meaning of 'why are you so awkward? '
0 Replies

WBYeats

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 03:55 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thank you for the reply; then could I use the singular here?

-The result of the physics exam will be released tomorrow.(one subject, so result, not results)

What unsettles me is, even after consulting dictionaries, there's no way I can know the difference between 'results' and 'result'; according to Mctag, if I take one subject, then I have one result. But in non-native printed material I've seen the singular like the sentence above. Do you think it's wong? Logically we took one exam, but there's more than one candidate, so there must be more than one result, but language isn't something you can understand by logic always.
McTag

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 06:28 am
@WBYeats,

If there were multiple candidates sitting the exam, I would always use "results" in that case.
Each candidate has his own result.
McTag

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 06:31 am
@McTag,

The result if the exam was an increase in the suicide rate among students, as they considered their unacceptable results.
Smile
WBYeats

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 11:03 am
@McTag,
Is it a typo? Do you mean 'of (the exam)'?