Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,546 • Replies: 90
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 07:54 pm
Lol. This is a surprise?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 09:23 pm
No. But it is (though again, shouldn't have been) a surprise that the military has 'psychological teams' running about in jeeps with loudspeakers.

"Beloved free Iraqis...America understands your feelings. We celebrate those feelings. Close your eyes now and reach down, down, down...touch those feelings. Caress them. Own them. America wants YOU to now own your feelings. We do not wish to own them, they are yours, noble Iraqis. Your angers and hatreds and fears...in your new freedom, take ownership of that which is truly yours and yours alone. Curfew begins at sundown"
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 09:27 pm
there are highly moral people that have the problem in which recognizing the truth about themselves would destroy them. they not only thrive in their mythology, they recreate the world to match.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 09:31 pm
To be fair, Bill did find a link with a whole lot more info (the full text of the book thats quoted in this article, in fact) - and it tells the story a little differently from how Zucchino summarises it ... link
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 10:46 pm
I am somewhat reminded of the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima, a great symbolic image that had to be re-staged after the photographer showed on the scene and the subsquent death of Ira Hayes (the "hero" of Iwo Jima) in the gutter of Phoenix Arizona years later, forgotten and only surviving as the image cast in bronze, I seem to feel that the lowering of the statue be it by Iraqi's in celebration or the US troops, it served as a symbol to those that needed it and provided justification as in "we bring you freedom" or "we now have freedom." Symbols are just that, symbols, that do not contain the freedom they imply.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 10:52 pm
Symbols, however, are powerful tools to be used for good or bad.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 11:58 pm
And they help to keep people from thinking too much.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 12:54 am
Click on the link below and scroll down until you see the big bold heading:

You will see that David Zucchino a total liar. Dude should be fired for such a deliberate misrepresentation. Btw Edgar, it would be a simple thing to change your misleading title. Idea
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 02:29 am
That site will not load for me, Bill.

Perhaps you can explain or copy?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 07:40 am
dlowan wrote:

Somehow the site shuts down my cut and paste feature completely while it is open. I just checked the link and it still works for me, and apparently it worked for nimh. Anyway, I did manually type these two quotes for my response on the other thread.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
This is a good example of how to twist a story. I remember this incident, and will forever actually; because when I saw that cheering crowd working on that statue it brought tears to my eyes. Naturally, some leftwing idiot has to try to spoil the image. Not this time. Here's what the book actually said:

Quote:
"The people had already tied a noose around the neck of the statue with some rope. They were trying to just tug on it and bring it down and were hitting it with sledgehammers; it was clearly getting crazy in the square. We were no longer in crowd control, as there was just no controlling this crowd at this time. We decided to just ride along with the crowd, and we started just kind of celebrating with the Iraqi people."

The Marines pulled it down with a chain, not a rope. You can read the actual story instead of this hyper-partisan crap (that only includes a small, misleading portion of the story) by clicking here. Like I said; the Iraqi's were already hard at work when the Marines got involved.

Looks like a good book btw. Not quite the message you guys want to believe though. Here, I'll quote some more of it from before the toppling:

Quote:
"Crowds of Iraqi citizens started coming out and cheering the American convoy. We started to do some PSYOP broadcasts about bringing about a free Iraq, but knowing that we were to continue some clearing operations; we were telling them to stay away from our military vehicles for their own safety. We eventually dismounted from our vehicle and continued to inform the civilians to stay back from the military vehicles. The Iraqi civilians were very receptive to us, and [we] continued to engage them with our interpreter."

Again, you can read the truth by clicking here.

My eyes were glued to the TV watching this unfold live. The Iraqi's were indeed dancing in the street, and the Soldiers appeared somewhat shocked at how happy these people were to be rid of Hussein. I bet it was a good 30 minutes of coverage between the time that they started filming the Iraqis wailing away with sledgehammers, shoes and whatever they could find... and the time the US Military got decided to help. At the same time they were just swamping the soldiers, apparently with thankyou's. Iraqi's were climbing all over our military equipment as if it were they were posing for pictures after a victorious football game. At first the soldiers tried to keep them back, but soon it became obvious that these people were gathered to celebrate Saddam's overthrow and were showering the soldiers in love, not hate. It brought tears to my eyes, Deb, to see these people celebrate with reckless abandon for the first time in their lives. It was one of those moments that just couldn't have gone any better. This liar, David Zucchino, took what was probably the most beautiful moment of the war and spoiled it with his straight lies.

Okay, back to the book.
PSYOP was there basically to announce our intentions as we moved through the city for the first time clearing out any resistance. The book says we were just amazed at the near utter lack of resistance this team encountered. Once there, they were caught up in celebration. It made it clear that the Iraqi's had been working on that statue before the US Military got involved. The only decision PSYOP may have made was to help the people accomplish bringing down the statue. And it may have been a PSYOP officer that ordered the overzealous American who had draped an American Flag over the head of the statue with an Iraqi flag. This would have been corrected anyway. Everyone there as well as the reporters and those of us glued to our TVs knew that it was a mistake to put our flag there. I assure you that it was an honest mistake and as soon as it was corrected the Iraqis resumed celebration with reckless abandon. For this jerk to have claimed this was staged is an outrageous lie that is not supported by anything in the book he sources (boy I'd like to pop him in the mouth for trying to spread hate out of a beautiful piece of history Evil or Very Mad ).

At this same time I remember the reporters explaining that some of the seemingly pro-Saddam cheering that was going on was at odds with the behavior of the clearly overjoyed people. It seems that chanting good things about Saddam was the only way they knew how to publicly celebrate, as it was they only way they had ever been allowed to celebrate in their entire lives. I assure you; our PSYOP people could never engineer anything this beautiful.

I sure wish there was some footage available of the 30 minutes or so before and after the toppling of that statue. I'd push it 20 times as hard as the audio file referred to in my sig line. Whether you approve of the war or not, you can at least be happy for these people. They were truly overjoyed.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 11:02 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Somehow the site shuts down my cut and paste feature completely while it is open. I just checked the link and it still works for me, and apparently it worked for nimh.

Yeh, works for me. Its huge, tho, must be dozens of print pages. No way its something to integrally copy into here.

Not possible anyway. Cant copy/paste (or print, for that matter), it seems. Or open the source text. Nifty bit of copyright protection there ;-)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 12:26 pm
It appears to be a US military site? It just sits and won't load for me.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 12:33 pm
Its that "Army's internal study of the war in Iraq" that the LATimes article is based on, I believe. But which according to Bill is actually grossly misrepresented in the article. Full text of it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 12:38 pm
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 12:42 pm
If that don't work, let me know and I'll type it out manually.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 01:32 pm
Okay, here you go:

Quote:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 02:00 pm
dlowan wrote:

If you use IE it should work, it won't display in Opera.

The entire page's source is encrypted so the size is very large.

It doesn't say anything to negate the title of this thread BTW, just portrays the psychological operations and stage management in a better light.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 02:15 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
dlowan wrote:

If you use IE it should work, it won't display in Opera.

The entire page's source is encrypted so the size is very large.

Shocked Does that mean I didn't have to type that out by hand? Typing sucks!

Craven de Kere wrote:
It doesn't say anything to negate the title of this thread BTW, just portrays the psychological operations and stage management in a better light.
That is BS Craven. The book makes it clear the Iraqis were working on that statue before PSYOP showed up. The news coverage I watched was covering the story for a good while before PSYOP showed up. The title implies that it was a PSYOP plan for propaganda purposes, which couldn't be further from the truth. The article is a deliberate chop job to obscure the truth. Your assertion to the contrary is painting you in a hyper-partisan light. Idea

Btw, how did that page suspend my cut and paste in other programs?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 02:42 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:

That is BS Craven. The book makes it clear the Iraqis were working on that statue before PSYOP showed up.

False. And you just typed it up so you should know better. They had a rope around it before they brought the chain but the statue was targeted by US military PSYOPS and they told the Iraqis about taking it down.

Here, from the text you just typed:

Quote:
The Marine Corps colonel in the area saw the Saddam statue as a target of opportunity and decided that the statue must come down. Since we were right there, we chimed in with some loudspeaker support to let the Iraqis know what it was we were attempting to do.

Quote:
The news coverage I watched was covering the story for a good while before PSYOP showed up.

Bull. Bill, quit making stuff up, this type of this is tantamount to a declaration that you do not really know what happened but know what you really would like to think happened.

Quote:
The title implies that it was a PSYOP plan for propaganda purposes, which couldn't be further from the truth.

False, that is exactly the truth. PSYOP's job is propaganda and this was a PSYOP operation in which they did their job well.

Quote:
The article is a deliberate chop job to obscure the truth. Your assertion to the contrary is painting you in a hyper-partisan light. Idea

Nonsense Bill. I don't care if PSYOPs does this, that's their job and they do it well.

You are just tying to salvage all the meaning you read into it, and that's cool because PSYOPs is not mutually incompatible with it. That PSYOPs managed this does not mean that the few hundred (probably less than 200) were not genuinely happy.

Some Iraqis really were there and happy about it. The PSYOPs made it out to be more. This was a well managed PSYOPs operation and you should not need to try to deny this.

Here are pics and clips and such since you wanted some for your signature.

Here are some wide angle shots that PSYOPs did not prefer:

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/images/SQ1.gif

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/images/SQ2.gif

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/images/SQ3.gif

Here is a clip, since you said you wanted one (sorry that the Iraqis seem bored here, they get exited later when PSYOPs drag it around the street and film it.

http://68.1.17.8/informationclearinghouse3/ustroopsstatue.wmv

BBC pissed people off by this sequence that shows some wide angles and some photos that are not nice closes:'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/photo_gallery/2933629.stm

Quote:

Btw, how did that page suspend my cut and paste in other programs?

Javascript
0 Replies