An Open Letter to that Person with a Stick Stuck in their Tuchas

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 12:01 pm
@izzythepush,
Three strokes a second will normally do it.

Not that I know, of course.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 12:26 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
you must have been going some to get banned.

I was giving it some welly, I admit.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 03:37 pm
I recently got what I believe was my first zero (a thumb down.) I was crushed, devastated, hurt, bewildered, and demoralized. Who moi? A thumb down? The ignominy.

I'm glad to find out that the thumb wasn't necessarily a reflection of my content. Just someone who likes thumbing.

Relieved.
neologist

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 03:49 pm
@Roberta,
I'm hoping the little thumb I just gave you will make the boo boo all better, kind kitty. Very Happy
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 08:16 pm
@Ionus,
Just curious with you lot being smarter than me and all, if I'm doing it how do I vote my own posts down, especially that of a brave soldier who got a thumbs up tattoo on his stumpy arm ? More to the point, how do I do it 4 times ? And you are worried about your sacred cows, Letty and Automatic Suzy . Don't you think a wounded soldier is deserving of the same respect as your sacred cows ?
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2015 08:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Just agree with them Frank...they'll thumb you down and blame me .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 08:37 am
More than one thumb bum, it appears.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 08:52 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

I agree with Calamity Jane.

If anyone who normally would "thumb up/down" a comment would simply write a quick note of agreement or disagreement...the entire "thumb" fiasco would go away. As would the anonymity.

You're just missing the point by a few thousand miles. Someone is thumbing down nonpolitical/nonphilosophical posts like pictures of kittens and rainbows. Kind of unnerving in their tenacity against harmless and cute thing. No where in my post did I address thumbing down each other's political debate postings.

There is hardly anything to agree or disagree on those feel good threads.

As far as whoever's doing the thumb down thing now, it's apparent it's someone with nothing better to do.

I do feel giving the thumb up/down option is important, but that a lot of people in the world have totally gone bonkers with it.

There's another forum I'm on, that doesn't have this feature, and I miss it. Not for the thumb down option, but for the thumb up.

Sometimes someone says something that I strongly agree with or learned something from. I don't want to comment on it, I simply want to show, well, solidarity sometimes. I don't want to rack up another post saying yet another lol, or "I agree!" or "funny!" or "good point".

Also, from what I can see, if you do feel you need to make a comment on every damn thing someone says, it just opens the door wider for other ususal suspects to respond to you about what you responded, and before you know it, there goes another perfectly good thread.

I don't really need or want the person that posted to know it came from me. Just that someone acknowledged them positively.

However, from my brief experience now on facebook, which I'm totally bored with BTW, people go nuts with posting these little agreement statements that basically boil down to "hey, notice me now, I said something!" I can't say it doesn't appear that I've ever done that on FB, but I avoid it.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 09:00 am
The thumb down thing, when taken to an extreme, is some unhappy soul, who feels they are being dissed, crying for attention. A thread like this gives it to them in spades.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 11:37 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

The only other thing that I meant to say in my earlier post (about ignoring arseholes) is that if you are aware that a member is well known for being aforementioned a-hole, then plaese try to remember not to quote them when replying, as this then makes their bullshite fully visible once again.

Re ^, I see that some people do this quote within quote within quote, ad nauseam thing. Usually it's someone who feels they need to go back pages and pages to find one word or 3 word phrase that proves (I guess) something.

Christ on a crutch. I can't remember what I ate for breakfast, and you're going back hours/days/weeks/months to pull some some all important quote out of somewhere, so you can continue some totally boring and oft repeated thought you have. One that has been said by you so many times already, it hardly needs repeating.

It's like, FML, not again.
chai2

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 11:38 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

AT this point, I'd be up for dismantling the thumbs up/down feature.

I'd be up for dismantling it for people who are assholes, and just want to beat a dead penguin.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 11:42 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Usually it's someone who feels they need to go back pages and pages to find one word or 3 word phrase that proves (I guess) something.

That's rich coming from someone who didn't use a primer.

Quote:
I'd only painted maybe a 12' by 5' area when wally walked out of the house...

Wally baby, this paint is soaking into the concrete like water...

"Well fucky-do chai, didn't you prime it first?"

http://able2know.org/topic/125274-1
chai2

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 11:47 am
@izzythepush,
Well played izzy, well played.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 11:48 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

I'd be up for dismantling it for people who are assholes, and just want to beat a dead penguin.

Dead penguins especially need extra beatings ... to make sure they don't take over the world as penguin zombies.
http://www.imdb.com/poll/QGH0Rv-kFds/
izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 11:48 am
@chai2,
Thank you, I was a bit worried you might take it the wrong way.
chai2

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 11:49 am
@izzythepush,
Oh hell, one of my favorite expressions is "the jokes on me"
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 05:19 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
It seems glaringly evident to me that removing the down-thumbing of posts would make the forum appear more credible, not to mention palatable, to anyone who happens upon the site.
You do know it is invisible to non-members, right ?

I know that if I open a different browser, go to the site not logged in, I can still see the -3 thumbs above your post.
Ionus

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 07:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
PENGUIN ZOMBIES ? Shocked Actually if they are animals they are called zoombies .
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 07:36 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
I know that if I open a different browser, go to the site not logged in, I can still see the -3 thumbs above your post.
Yep. I got that wrong, but I definitely didnt see the thumbing the only time I viewed without logging on . Strange things happening lately with A2K . I think the servers may be stretched thin ?
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2015 07:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

How about a counter-campaign? Everyone who isn't the douchenozzle in question can make it a habit to thumb up anything that appears to have been randomly vandalized by this knobjockey.

I'd write more, but I'll have to think of some more disparaging ne0logisms..