Paint goof - advice please

chai2

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:31 pm
I wasn't thinking...

Yesterday I etched our concrete driveway, and today proceeded to paint (tinted garage floor paint.)

First I painted over an area that had been previously stained, then turned to the bare portion.

I'd only painted maybe a 12' by 5' area when wally walked out of the house...

Wally baby, this paint is soaking into the concrete like water...

"Well fucky-do chai, didn't you prime it first?"

uhh.....

anyway, I'm prime the rest during the week, but....can I put primer over the small area I already covered?

Wally sez no, but what does he know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,353 • Replies: 15
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:50 pm
@chai2,
As far as I know you can put primer over just about anything.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:55 pm
@chai2,
I agree with Boom, provided all materials are of the same base...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:56 pm
@chai2,
http://home.tips.net/Pages/T003773_Painting_Concrete.html
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 01:01 pm
@chai2,
is this a spot close by the house? Where you have room to put down a little patch of primer and see what they look like side by side? If there is no real difference, just use the primer and go. But if the color difference is extreme, pick which ever way you like and go.
With out primer, wont the color fade from the concrete quicker? That in itself may be a cool effect too..
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 01:05 pm
@shewolfnm,
A sealer is required before priming and painting.

BBB
chai2

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 01:49 pm
@shewolfnm,
thanks everyone.

boom, I knew if you saw the word "paint" in the subject line, you'd be the first one here..

shewolf, I don't think the primer color will make a bit of difference, it's going to get painted over.

naw, it wouldn't look cool at all letting it just soak in. have you seen my walkway since I painted it (with the primer first)? The driveway's gonna look like that.

I'm going over the stain that didn't work out.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 01:50 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
actually, the sealer is the last thing you put on.

primer gives the paint something to adhere to and not soak in.

sealer protects the whole shabang.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 01:56 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

actually, the sealer is the last thing you put on.

primer gives the paint something to adhere to and not soak in.

sealer protects the whole shabang.

Actually, BBB is correct. You would have to seal the concrete to prevent anything (including the primer) from soaking in.

You are also correct, but not in the case of concrete.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 02:09 pm
@chai2,
For concrete, you'll want sealer - then primer - then whatever your preferred topcoat is - and then a final sealant.

The primer colour will effect the outcome - which is why you want the same primer base on the entire surface (if you want the top to have a consistent colour).
Intrepid

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 03:12 pm
@ehBeth,
Nice to see that we agree Smile
ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 03:15 pm
@Intrepid,
We do? we did Shocked

Very Happy
chai2

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:34 pm
@ehBeth,
ok, color me wrong.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:53 pm
@Intrepid,
That's right. Concrete is porous.

I'm quiet here, in that I've only seen olden days California small porches, usually with faux spanish houses like my aunt's, have the concrete painted, and, of course, the occasional garage steps - I may do my own one step between garage interior and house to distinguish it to the eye. Have the paint, a shock yellow, and my doing this awaits more clearance of boxes.

My bias is to natural concrete, but I've spec'd integral and dust-on stains many times. Generally, I like paths and driveways to "read away" and not be the stars of the scene. BUT, that said, I'm listening, since I also can get "landscape play".

And I'm nearly always charmed by garden segments like herringbone brick paths, various stone arrangements in japanese gardens, even the decomposed granite between corten steel at the Getty. So I contradict myself at least somewhat, re "reading away".

I've no idea re wear re automobile tonnage on a painted driveway, would be interested if it works over time and under what climate conditions, since, pooper that I am, I like the ability to do this kind of driveway play.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:18 pm
@ossobuco,
I should add I've long loved those California faux spanish houses, even more so as they've disappeared, replaced by McMansions or condo complexes, and I did like the porches.

Probably called spanish colonial, or maybe not - I haven't looked it up. The ones dearest to my heart are/were mostly bungalows, but I also like some of the larger ones. My old boss called them "spanich". Will post a photo of my aunt's place w/porch, one of these days.

Also remember the porches were painted every few years. But that was a long time ago, and I doubt they seal or primed.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Neighbours of mine did the painted concrete driveway/steps/small porch thing about 7-8 years ago. We've got some pretty dang adverse weather conditions, but with re-sealing at the beginning and end of each season, it all still looks quite good.

Their particular version is a bit sparkly for my taste, but I only have to look at it briefly as I walk to the subway.
0 Replies