What did you mean?

Sat 30 May, 2015 07:17 pm
i hope I am not over analyzing .... a New Yorker colleague said when we were alone in the office that "I enjoy your company" and then waited for my response/reaction. I like him a lot and gave him a heartfelt smile but nothing else as I did not know how else to react, and for fear of misinterpreting what that sentence actually meant. I am Asian and conscious of potential cultural misinterpretations. He said the same again one week later and I smiled, nodded and kept quiet. To give context he is a peer to my manager hierarchy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 913 • Replies: 9
Topic Closed

Setanta

Sat 30 May, 2015 08:30 pm
I would say that it is never a good idea to become involved with your co-workers.
SarahLee

Sun 31 May, 2015 03:07 am
@Setanta,
Thanks Setanta ... So it's not a being polite I had a great time kind of thing right ....he's saying he likes me?
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 31 May, 2015 04:43 am
You have misunderstood me. I am advising you that it would not be a good idea to continue an attempt to have a relationship with this individual.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Sun 31 May, 2015 10:32 am
"I enjoy your company" COULD be a lead-in for something more. He MAY be interested in getting to know you better outside of work.

If that is not what you want, then smile and say, "I liked working with you, too. My BF and I would like to meet you and a friend some time at the local bar."

But - if you ARE interested in him, then say back, "I enjoy your company, too. Let's get together after work some time."
SarahLee

Mon 1 Jun, 2015 08:48 am
@PUNKEY,
Thanks Punkey for answering my question. I'm in my twenties and he's thirty-ish and both single so this will not be some illicit affair or don't **** in your backyard kind of thing - besides I am about to move to a new job. I needed to validate my interpretation of what he meant.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 1 Jun, 2015 05:36 pm
@SarahLee,
Will you see him before you move to your new job?

If so, and if you'd like to see him socially, take a moment to let him know that before you move to your new job.

something like,

I've enjoyed working with you. Maybe we can get together for coffee to chat after I've started my new job.
SarahLee

Wed 3 Jun, 2015 09:05 am
@ehBeth,
Thank you - appreciate it.
0 Replies

SarahLee

Wed 3 Jun, 2015 09:18 am
Thanks - that's why I wasn't sure and I guess it matters to me so the need to consult with folks.
timur

Wed 3 Jun, 2015 10:09 am
@SarahLee,
However, you should avoid advice from people who come to this forum to sell something.
The method the previous poster is trying to promote doesn't work, at least with normal people.
0 Replies