THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

ican711nm

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:32 pm
revel wrote:
You seem to going over my post in pieces. Waiting would not have hurt.

Yes, this time I did go over your post in pieces. Sorry about that. I was interrupted twice by flying opportunities.

Waiting would have hurt some.

It would have hurt those who would have been murdered by Saddam's regime while we waited.

It would have hurt those who would otherwise have been murdered by terrorists trained in Iraq.

I already know what your thinking. You've given me the same response enough times for me to finally remember. You're thinking we cannot know for certain what would have happened if we had waited. I agree!

Therefore we cannot know for certain, "Waiting would not have hurt."
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:43 am
revel wrote:
OE, why oh why did you have to ask?

Very Happy
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:08 am
300 billion $ spent ...... on what?

Quote:
WASHINGTON
Soldier: Lack of armor likely factor in comrade's death in Iraq

By MICHAEL COLLINS
Scripps Howard News Service
April 07, 2005

WASHINGTON - The Pentagon said Thursday it is investigating a Kentucky National Guard soldier's complaint that an improperly armored military truck may have contributed to the death of a member of his company in Iraq.

Staff Sgt. Brad Rogers, who is with the 2113th Transportation Company in Paducah, Ky., complained in an e-mail to friends and co-workers in Kentucky that soldiers in his unit are driving old M915 tractor-trailers that frequently break down.

Rogers called the trucks "a dinosaur" and said they are equipped with only one armored panel on each side and are not fitted with protective glass, or ballistic windows.

Rogers said he decided to speak out about the dangers to his unit after a fellow soldier, Sgt. James A. Sherrill, was killed last Sunday when a bomb exploded near his military vehicle.

Sherrill, 27, died when a piece of metal went through the truck window and hit him around his left temple, Rogers said.

"I feel in my heart that Sgt. Sherrill would still be with us if he had had ballistic windows," Rogers wrote.

Rogers, who lives in Hebron, Ky., just south of Cincinnati, asked his friends to help bring the issue to the attention of the media and Congress.

The e-mail touched off a flurry of activity in Washington, with several lawmakers demanding that the Pentagon investigate.

"I strongly believe that if our government is unable to fully equip our military men and women, we need to bring them home immediately," Rep. Ben Chandler, D-Ky., said in a letter to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

Rep. Anne North, R-Ky., said "making sure every soldier, regardless of rank or role, has the best equipment possible must be a top priority."

Pentagon spokeswoman Nancy Ray said military brass is aware of Rogers' concerns. "We are looking into it," she said.

Rep. Ted Strickland, D-Ohio, called Rogers' letter "very disturbing" and said it echoed similar concerns he has heard from other soldiers and their families.

"It's sad and tragic that more than two years after the beginning of this war, we have soldiers that are not being provided with the most basic life-saving equipment that a soldier would need in a battle situation," Strickland said.

After other soldiers raised questions about the lack of armored vehicles last year, Rumsfeld promised that only those Humvees and other vehicles that have been upgraded with armored protection would be allowed to leave U.S. bases on combat patrols or convoys.

"There will not be a vehicle moving around in Iraq anywhere outside of a protected compound that does not have the appropriate armor," Rumsfeld said Feb. 3.

Strickland, who has been urging the administration for more than a year to provide adequate body and vehicle armor to the troops, said Rogers' letter shows that not enough has been done. He charged that there has been a lack of concern about the issue at the Pentagon and in Congress.

"There is just not a sense of urgency, and it is because it is somebody else's kid out there in danger rather than the sons and daughters of us who serve in this administration or in this Congress," Strickland said.

(E-mail Michael Collins at CollinsM(at)shns.com.)
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:10 am
I hoping this will stop the insurgents. Such a terrible crime.

source

Quote:
Apr 8, 6:52 AM EDT

Four Children Killed in Baghdad Explosion

By ANTONIO CASTANEDA
Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- Four children collecting trash were killed Friday by a homemade bomb in Baghdad, and masked gunmen killed an Iraqi Army officer in a restaurant in the southern city of Basra, police said.

The children died in the New Baghdad neighborhood in the southeast section of the city, police Capt. Sabah Hamid Al-Fartosi said. Insurgents frequently use hidden roadside bombs against U.S. and Iraqi Army convoys.

In the attack in Basra, three masked gunmen killed an Iraqi Army officer - Maj. Mahmoud Hassan Al-Yassiri - late Thursday, Capt. Firas al-Timimi of the Iraqi Army said.

A U.S. Marine was killed Wednesday in a vehicle accident during combat operations in Fallujah, 40 miles west of Baghdad, the military said Friday in a statement.

In my opinion the event of the children accidently getting killed by a planted bomb will erase any lingering sympathies.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:16 am
old europe, it is just me and ican and a couple of others have been kind of staying here in this thread so like even Ican said, we all pretty well know what the other is going to say and sometimes even the sources they are going to use.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:21 am
gel, I know I find it ironic how quickly we are willing to send people off to war without protection and then when they get home they are treated as yesterday's trash in terms of care and their financial needs. And this all in the name of God and patriotism.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:28 am
revel wrote:
old europe, it is just me and ican and a couple of others have been kind of staying here in this thread so like even Ican said, we all pretty well know what the other is going to say and sometimes even the sources they are going to use.

revel,
I've been following this thread for quite some time now, and I totally agree with you. Actually, I was pretty sure what ican would post, too. Which is why I had to laugh when you posted!
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:45 am
Kinda like the department of redundancy department.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:13 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:22 am
At times I feel like the man in Monty Python's "Argument Clinic":

Quote:
Receptionist: Yes, sir?

Man: I'd like to have an argument please.

Receptionist: Certainly, sir, have you been here before...?

Man: No, this is my first time.

Receptionist: I see. Do you want to have the full argument, or were you thinking of taking a course?

Man: Well, what would be the cost?

Receptionist: Yes, it's one pound for a five-minute argument, but only eight pounds for a course of ten.

Man: Well, I think it's probably best of I start with the one and see how it goes from there. OK?

Receptionist: Fine. I'll see who's free at the moment... Mr. Du-Bakey's free, but he's a little bit concilliatory... Yes, try Mr. Barnard -- Room 12.

Man: Thank you.

Read on, and discover the incredible similarities between ican and Mr Vibrating!

Very Happy
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:30 am
old europe wrote:
Read on, and discover the incredible similarities between ican and Mr Vibrating! Very Happy

No! Instead you will discover the incredible similarities between old europe and Mr Vibrating! Very Happy

I don't charge! Besides, I provide the same evidence to refute the same allegations. Laughing
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:34 am
ican711nm wrote:
No! Instead you will discover the incredible similarities between old europe and Mr Vibrating! Very Happy

No, you won't!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:37 am
Quote, "old europe wrote:
Read on, and discover the incredible similarities between ican and Mr Vibrating!

ican wrote:
No! Instead you will discover the incredible similarities between old europe and Mr Vibrating!"

Mr ican in action! LOL
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:41 am
old europe wrote:
ican711nm wrote:

No, you won't!

I agree! Laughing

But then again .......... maybe I don't Question
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:44 am
old europe: Fine. (makes a note of it) Thank you. Anyway you won't.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:53 am
old europe wrote:
old europe: Fine. (makes a note of it) Thank you. Anyway you won't.

WHY NOT Question
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:59 am
old europe: Now, let's get one thing quite clear... I most definitely told you!
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:05 am
old europe wrote:
old europe: Now, let's get one thing quite clear... I most definitely told you!

TOLD ME WHAT Question
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:09 am
old europe: (pressing the bell on his desk) Thank you, good morning.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:14 am
old europe wrote:
old europe: (pressing the bell on his desk) Thank you, good morning.
Thank you, good afternoon. Laughing

Quote:
Democratic Dominoes
People power takes hold in the Middle East
By Ilan Berman
Knight Ridder Tribune News Service
April 6, 2005

What a difference a year can make. Last spring, the White House was weathering a firestorm of controversy, buffeted by mounting casualties in Iraq and growing domestic opposition to the war.

Now, however, officials in the Bush administration appear to have a lot to smile about. The success of Iraq's January 30th elections - and the considerable strides toward mature nation-statehood since taken by Baghdad - have proven critics of the idea of post-totalitarian transformation profoundly wrong. What's more, Washington is discovering that its policies in the War on Terror have catalyzed a wave of pro-democratic stirrings in one of the world's most turbulent regions.

By now, the groundswell of popular opposition to Syria's nearly three-decade-long occupation of Lebanon generated by the mid-February assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri has become old news. Yet Lebanon's "Cedar Revolution" is just the most visible in a series of similar transformations that are now underway in the Middle East.

In Egypt, ailing president Hosni Mubarak, bowing to both U.S. urgings and domestic demands, has altered the rules of the national political game. In late February, the Egyptian leader announced plans for major electoral reforms ahead of the country's looming presidential election in September. If implemented as promised, the outcome of the desired changes would, in Mubarak's own words, provide "the chance for political parties to run for the presidential elections and guarantees that allow more than one candidate for the people to choose among them with their own will."

The countries of the Persian Gulf are also in transition. In Kuwait, mounting calls for women's suffrage have mobilized hundreds of protesters in recent weeks. In Bahrain, the arrest of three Internet bloggers in early March has sparked an escalating series of protests against the regime in Manama, and a new surge of pressure for constitutional reform within the Gulf state. Even Saudi Arabia's puritanical government, bowing to external pressures, has set in motion municipal elections designed to make the country's regional political bodies accountable to their constituents for the first time in history.

Signs of change are also visible in Syria, where the Assad regime's long-standing stranglehold on Syrian hearts and minds is being eroded by a new medium: the Internet. Almost 500,000 Syrians out of a population of 18 million are currently estimated to be using the Internet on a regular basis, and the public's demand for information appears to be progressively outstripping the ability of the regime's instruments of power to control it. As well, a number of Syrian opposition figures, emboldened by the political transformation taking place in neighboring Lebanon, are finally finding the courage to speak out against Damascus.

Moreover, technology has made such civic opposition more possible - and sustainable - than ever before. "Thanks to satellite television channels and the Internet, the people are monitoring what is happening in the world and are beginning to be conscious of their natural rights and of freedom," former Lebanese Prime Minister Selim Hoss recently told one journalist.

To be sure, these democratic stirrings could still yield profoundly undemocratic results. In Saudi Arabia's recent polls, conservative Islamist candidates reportedly made serious political gains. Radical groups like Hamas are expected to do the same when Palestinians go to the polls this month to pick legislative representatives in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. And in Egypt, the influential Muslim Brotherhood - the ideological progenitor of al-Qaeda and its affiliates - is marshalling a mounting challenge to the Mubarak regime under the guise of political participation.

Nevertheless, progress is increasingly becoming palpable. In his State of the Union Address on February 2nd, President Bush emphasized America's desire for a "higher standard of freedom" in the Middle East. If the events of recent weeks are any indication, the Administration could end up getting its wish far sooner than expected. The region, and the world, will be the better for it.