THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 03:53 pm
oe's quote, "The Court is now a reality, but the U.S. choose to stand in line with pariah states of the international criminal justice system (for example, Libya)."

This is just too funny for words. The US has the temerity to criticize the UN for letting Lybia have a position in one of their departments, and the US cries bloody-murder, then they vote with Lybia.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 04:39 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Yes Revel, but I am not talking about intended ends resulting from devious motives. I am talking about unexpected good results.

Only when you separate the motive from the unintended good results can you see the picture clearly. One has nothing to do with the other.

If the Bush administration had bad motives, then yes, we should look at that. So far, I haven 't seen anybody present much information that I find credible to support that.

But good results, whatever the initial motives might have been, are good results nevertheless.

It is too soon call it the good results despite the high turn out in the election and capture of Saddam Hussien. We don't know how all this is going to turn out and like I said previously, we won't probably for a while yet. At the present it is still similar to a war zone and might even be shaping up for a more of an internal clash. (I don't think it will be a full fledged all out civil war, but maybe some violent clashing here and there before it is all over.) Not only that but also there are just too many differences in all the factions for this to be a success story any time soon.

I think that there has been plenty of evidence of bad motives by the bush administration by the mere fact that they wanted to go to war before 9/11 and those high up in the administration were part of the Plan For The New American Century which is in fact a legitimate document with signed signatures from wolfwitz (?spell) and others.

I understand you disagree and will leave it at that if you want.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 04:49 pm
old europe wrote:
Quote:
... Scientists at the Bavarian archive for geology in Munich are currently using a method called isotope analysis, which can search for trace elements such as sulphur, to roughly determine where in the world el-Masri has been in recent months. Munich's Ludwig-Maximilians University is world famous for the procedure -- in fact, isotope analysis has helped solve many difficult crimes in the past.

According to initial results, el-Masri's story is, in fact, true. Fearing far-reaching global diplomatic consequences, the German government, however, wants to see the case treated rather discretely. After all, el-Masri's allegations are not directed at some random rogue state but at the most powerful nation in the world...

I'm really just getting so worked up about this because it's completely obvious. el-Masri was perfectly innocent. He was abducted by the f*cking CIA. Your f*cking president had signed all this into law.

Benefit of doubt? Anytime. In this case? No.

Let's look at some of the pertinent details...

Quote:
El-Masri's ordeal began, he says, when he decided to escape, for one week over New Year, the stress of living in a single room in Ulm as the unemployed father of a family of six. On a friend's recommendation he bought a cheap bus ticket to Skopje, capital of Macedonia, intending to find a hotel when he got there.

Ok, so he's unemployed with kids and instead of trying to find he decides to go on vacation... Now, where is he decides to go on vacation? Skopje. A hotbed of Islamo-fascist activity. Did el-Masri have alternative reasons for visiting Skopje instead of say Munich, Berlin, Switzerland, Itay, Greece or any other, closer place? Back to the story...

Quote:
El-Masri was kept prisoner in the room for 23 days; Macedonian civilian police were constantly present, and he was subject to repeated interrogations about his links to Islamic organisations - he says he has none - and about the mosque in Ulm where he worships.

I bet Bin Laden would deny any connections as well... Not suspicious in the least.

Quote:
El-Masri soon discovered that the prison, though technically Afghan, was run from behind the scenes by the US. His first encounter with an American was with a masked individual who spoke English with what el-Masri believes was an American accent. He had a Palestinian translator. The American took a blood sample and photographed el-Masri naked again.

So, he believes the US is behind it because one of his alleged captors spoke English? Oh, wait, he had an American accent... right. That means he must be CIA, not a mercenary working in Macedonia or elsewhere...

Quote:
By whispering through the door, and exchanging messages on pieces of toilet paper, el-Masri found out a few details about his fellow prisoners: two Saudi brothers of Pakistani origin who had been imprisoned for two years, two Tanzanians, a Pakistani, a Yemeni, and several Afghans. (Mr Gnjidic says two of the prisoners have been traced but he didn't want to identify them for fear of putting their lives at risk.)

Rather convenient, that, eh?

Quote:
Repeatedly, he would be asked the same questions, challenging his identity, accusing him of attending terrorist training camps. Some of the interrogators, el-Masri believes, were American.

They wore masks and never spoke, yet they are Americans? No suspicious activity on el-Masri's part though right?

Quote:
After about a month, el-Masri met two unmasked Americans who other prisoners referred to as "the Doctor" and "the Boss". The Doctor was a tall, pale man in his 60s with grey collar-length hair. The Boss was younger, with red hair and blue eyes, about 5ft 10in, and wore glasses. ...

The Boss told him he had to get Washington's permission to help him, but was clearly angry, saying: "He shouldn't be here. He's in the wrong place." "I had the impression that the Doctor thought I wasn't guilty, and had sent a report saying so even after the second interrogation," says el-Masri. ...

So, Two more Americans... A doctor (everyone knows the CIA has the best doctors) and "the boss" (Springsteen perhaps?)

So far we have Macedonians, Afghans, Americans, Palestinians, Sadi's, Pakistani's, Tanzanians, Yemini's, Lebanese, Germans, and Albanians in on this kidnapping. A good global event. Not suspicious in the least. CIA all the way.

Quote:
It was to be more than a week before el-Masri finally got out of the prison; the German told him one of the obstacles to his speedy release was the Americans' determination not to leave any evidence that he had ever been there. He was flown to Albania in what he thinks was a small passenger jet, blindfolded and in plastic handcuffs.

Ah yes, it was the Americans fault. If they wanted to get rid of the evidence, why didn't the bastards just plant some lead in his brain? That removes evidence quite well.

So, am I suspicious of the events told by el-Masri? You bet. Do I doubt something happened to him and he believes the American were behind? Maybe, I'd like to see some evidence of it though before I just blindly follow an out-of-work salesman who deserted his family for 5 months...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:00 pm
Here's where your credibility drops to zero:

Quote:
Ok, so he's unemployed with kids and instead of trying to find he decides to go on vacation... Now, where is he decides to go on vacation? Skopje. A hotbed of Islamo-fascist activity. Did el-Masri have alternative reasons for visiting Skopje instead of say Munich, Berlin, Switzerland, Itay, Greece or any other, closer place? Back to the story...

Islamo-facist? What are you, a freeper?

Sheesh

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:03 pm
German Interior Minister Otto Schily has sought an apology from CIA chief Porter Goss over the kidnapping. German Interior Minister Otto Schily was the only German minister who was a loyal friend to the US even during the Iraq war.

So if he has sufficient reason to believe el-Masri, I will follow suit.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:16 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Here's where your credibility drops to zero:

Quote:

Islamo-facist? What are you, a freeper?

Sheesh

Cycloptichorn

This is why I rarely bother trying to answer questions with any detail anymore. People like Cyc. pick out a single word and then use that to base a stupid come back with instead of trying to respond with any sort of actual discussion.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:17 pm
old europe wrote:
German Interior Minister Otto Schily has sought an apology from CIA chief Porter Goss over the kidnapping. German Interior Minister Otto Schily was the only German minister who was a loyal friend to the US even during the Iraq war.

Well, as long as Porter Goss says we didn't do it, that's good enough for me.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:20 pm
Actually, he kind of admitted it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:20 pm
old europe wrote:
Actually, he kind of admitted it.

Question
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:31 pm
On a side note dealing with Iraq...

Did you know that 47 countries have re-established their embassies in Iraq?

Did you know that the Iraqi government employs 1.2 million Iraqi people?

Did you know that 3100 schools have been renovated, 364 schools are under rehabilitation, 263 schools are now under construction and 38 new schools have been built in Iraq?

Did you know that Iraq's higher educational structure consists of 20 Universities, 46 Institutes or colleges and 4 research centers?

Did you know that 25 Iraq students departed for the United States in January 2004 for the re-established Fulbright program?

Did you know that the Iraqi Navy is operational? They have 5- 100-foot patrol craft, 34 smaller vessels and a navel infantry regiment.

Did you know that Iraq's Air Force consists of three operation squadrons, 9 reconnaissance and 3 US C-130 transport aircraft which operate day and night, and will soon add 16 UH-1 helicopters and 4 bell jet rangers?

Did you know that Iraq has a counter-terrorist unit and a Commando Battalion?

Did you know that the Iraqi Police Service has over 55,000 fully trained and equipped police officers?

Did you know that there are 5 Police Academies in Iraq that produce over 3500 new officers each 8 weeks?

Did you know there are more than 1100 building projects going on in Iraq? They include 364 schools, 67 public clinics, 15 hospitals, 83 railroad stations, 22 oil facilities, 93 water facilities and 69 electrical facilities.

Did you know that 96% of Iraqi children under the age of 5 have received the first 2 series of polio vaccinations?

Did you know that 4.3 million Iraqi children were enrolled in primary school by mid October?

Did you know that there are 1,192,000 cell phone subscribers in Iraq and phone use has gone up 158%?

Did you know that Iraq has an independent media that consist of 75 radio stations, 180 newspapers and 10 television stations?

Did you know that the Baghdad Stock Exchange opened in June of 2004?

Did you know that 2 candidates in the Iraqi presidential election had a recent televised debate recently?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:35 pm
Quote:
Laut Spiegel gibt es für el-Masris Entführung sogar ein Eingeständnis aus Washington. Bei diplomatischen Gesprächen hätten die „Amerikaner das Kidnapping unter der Hand eingeräumt und vage angedeutet, wie ihnen die Sache aus dem Ruder gelaufen" sei. Auf die offizielle Tagesordnung will die Bundesregierung den Fall aber nicht setzen. Man fürchtet um die wieder genesenden Beziehungen zu US-Präsident Bush & Co. Angeblich soll Innenminister Otto Schily, der in Washington ein gutes Ansehen genießt, vorsichtig den Fall zur Sprache bringen. Der Spiegel schreibt:„Berlin will eine Zusicherung, dass es sich um einen einmaligen Fehltritt handelt."
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:55 pm
McGentrix wrote:
old europe wrote:

Well, as long as Porter Goss says we didn't do it, that's good enough for me.

Here we go:

Quote:
According to 'Der Spiegel' Washington even confessed the abduction of el-Masri. During diplomatic talks the "the Americans quietly admitted to kidnapping el-Masri and vaguely implied how the whole matter had somehow gotten out of hand". However, the German Federal Government does not want to put this on the official agenda, being afraid to put at risk the improving relationship with US president Bush & Co. Allegedly Minister of the Interior Otto Schily, who enjoys a good reputation in Washington, will discretely mention the issue. 'Der Spiegel' writes: "Berlin wants assurance that this was a one-time lapse."

source, translation by me.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:56 pm
MGC, do you have sources for each of your facts to prove each fact is true?

If we can be accused of wanting the Iraq situation to look bad, your side can be accused of the opposite ignoring the bad in the process.

The net result of both is that all of us get skewed slants of news of Iraq since we go after what we want discounting the rest. There have been excpetions and when there is it stands out like a sore thumb it is so rare.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:59 pm
I'm all for good news. But...

McGentrix wrote:
Did you know that there are 1,192,000 cell phone subscribers in Iraq and phone use has gone up 158%?

... I'm looking forward to McGentrix explaining how the 158% increase of phone use in Iraq justifies abductions of innocent citizens around the world.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:00 pm
Did you know that the war in Iraq is costing American taxpayers four to five billion every month?

Did you know that the war in Iraq is costing American lives at more than one every day?

Did you know that many vets coming home from the war are living homeless?

Did you know that many vets coming home from the war are not getting proper medical care?

Did you know that some of our soldiers are commiting crimes in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Did you know that many of our schools in this country are closing?

Did you know that many schools are letting teacheres go because there is insufficient funding?

Did you know that many of our roads are in disrepair and dangerous?

Did you know that our borders are letting illegals into our country?

Did you know that over 90 percent of cargo delivered to our ports does not get inspected?

Did you know that Congress would rather spend time and effort to issue legislation for one brain damaged citizen over many others who are alive?

Did you know that many hospitals in our country are closing?

Did you know that the media in our country lacks the guts and wherewithal to criticize our congress members when they overstep their boundries?

Did you know that our country is reducing our police force from lack of funding?

Did you know that more and more minority students are dropping out of school before they graudate?

Did you know that we have more Americans in poverty now than in the past?

Did you know that middle class Americans can't get medical care, but illegals can?

Did you know that president Bush enjoys the lowest job performance rating of any president in recent history?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:18 pm
One thing that fascinates me: instead of discussing the issue when evidence might turn up, why not post a list of totally unrelated stuff?

It's like "hey, we have proof you robbed this bank", answered by "now look at the beautiful weather today"...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:19 pm
Quote:
This is why I rarely bother trying to answer questions with any detail anymore. People like Cyc. pick out a single word and then use that to base a stupid come back with instead of trying to respond with any sort of actual discussion.

Enough with the hypocrisy; I've seen you do the same thing many, many times McG, so get off it...

Would you rather I addressed your actual argument, which seems to consist of the following:

1. There's no proof America had anythng to do with it
2. There's no reason to believe America does this sort of thing (despite the fact it's admitted)
3. We should decide to trust people, or not, based on their employment, b/c that makes a difference
4. We should decide to trust people, or not, based upon their religion, b/c that makes a difference
5. People cannot take vacations in Muslim areas, have anything to do with Muslim churches, or actually BE Muslim without being suspicious.
6. Therefore, b/c this guy is a Muslim, and out of work, we can't believe what he says.

Does that sound about right?

I can go back to the one-liners if ya like

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 08:30 pm
old europe wrote:
I'm all for good news. But...

McGentrix wrote:

... I'm looking forward to McGentrix explaining how the 158% increase of phone use in Iraq justifies abductions of innocent citizens around the world.

Look at the thread title and you tell me.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 08:32 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
A bunch of stuff

I think you need to take off those rose colored glasses.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 08:34 pm
old europe wrote:
One thing that fascinates me: instead of discussing the issue when evidence might turn up, why not post a list of totally unrelated stuff?

It's like "hey, we have proof you robbed this bank", answered by "now look at the beautiful weather today"...

Perhaps you missed the first sentence in that post... Let me post it again so you see it.

On a side note dealing with Iraq...

Does that help?
0 Replies