THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

revel

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 07:15 pm
I believe that CI already showed enough sources to show that Bush did indeed push for a reduction in Vet. benefits.

As for the other, I don't agree with across the board tax cuts and will leave it at that.

You completely missed my point about the rebates. When Clinton left office there was a surplus. Bush said that he was going to give the money back to us with it. He should have saved it for a rainy day instead since the rebates didn't amount to more than a couple of trips to grocery store at best anyway. That way when 9/11 came around we would have had a little more money for the economy than we did. I am not saying that would have held off the recession, but every little bit helps when money is tight.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:13 am
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IRAQ?SITE=FLROC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Mar 27, 7:40 AM EST

Iraq police fire on protesters, kill one

By EDWARD HARRIS
Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- Security officials opened fire on a crowd of protesters Sunday, killing one, and al-Qaida's arm in Iraq posted a video purportedly showing an Iraqi Interior Ministry official being killed.

Iraq's newly elected lawmakers, meanwhile, were expected to meet Tuesday to choose a speaker and two deputies, according to a National Assembly statement released Sunday. The lawmakers met on March 16, but have repeatedly postponed a second meeting because of negotiations over Cabinet positions; it was unclear whether they would name the country's new president on Tuesday, expected to be Kurdish leader Jalal Talabani.

Violence persisted Sunday, with bodyguards for Science and Technology Minister Rashad Mandan Omar opening fire on a crowd of protesters who had gathered in front of the ministry's offices to demand their full wages, said Hamid Balasem, an engineer at the ministry.

Balasem said about 50 ministry guards were demonstrating because they said they were paid only part of their wages. It was unclear why the guards opened fire.

Also Sunday, insurgents hit a police patrol with a roadside bomb in the southern oil city of Basra, injuring one nearby civilian, Lt. Col. Karim Ali Al-Zaydi said. They also damaged an oil pipeline in northern Iraq, halting exports to Turkey. The pipeline has been targeted in the past.

Late Saturday, assailants opened fire on a cafe popular with ethnic Kurds in Kirkuk, killing one and injuring three, said Sarhat Kadre of the police force in the ethnically mixed city 180 miles north of Baghdad. The motive in the attack was not known.

Iraq's insurgency appears to be scaling back attacks on U.S. military forces while focusing its deadly efforts on government workers, primarily targeting Iraq's fledgling security forces.

A video posted Sunday on the Internet purportedly showed an Iraqi Interior Ministry official hostage being shot dead by militants from Abu Musab al-Zarqawi's terror network.

There was no way to independently authenticate the video, which was posted on a militant Web site.

The video showed a man identifying himself as Col. Ryadh Gatie Olyway seated between two masked men wearing black. He displayed his Interior Ministry identification card and said he was a liaison officer with the American forces. Behind the men was the black banner of Al-Qaida in Iraq.

Olyway said he provided the U.S. military with the names "of officers of the former Iraqi army, who are Sunnis, and their addresses."

An Interior Ministry official, who spoke on condition of ', said Olyway worked as a liaison officer between the Interior and Oil ministries and was kidnapped more than a month ago. He had not seen the video, and could not confirm whether the hostage was Olyway.

The hostage, referring to alleged female Iraqi prisoners, said he had witnessed "different methods of torture and violation of their honor" at the hands of American troops.

Al-Qaida in Iraq has said many of its latest killings were in revenge for female Iraqi prisoners. The American military has denied it is holding any Iraqi women.

Olyway was then shown blindfolded, and a third masked man appeared to shoot him once in the head.

Also Sunday, the top U.N. envoy in Iraq, Ashraf Qazi, met with top Shiite cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani in Najaf, but details of the meeting were not immediately released.

Congregants gathered at the Virgin Mary Church in Baghdad to celebrate Easter.

"We wish Iraqis in general and Christians in particular a happy Easter and wish them a happy year," said one parishioner, Sabah Rasam, part of a Christian community that accounts for an estimated 3 percent of Iraq's 25 million people. "We are brothers with all Iraqis and will remain so forever."
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 12:02 pm
The most succinct statement regarding this war and the statements by the administration as regards why and how it goes that I have seen....

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/03/26/books/eichenwald-illus184.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 12:03 pm
blatham, I see you're on a "nasty" streak.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 12:53 pm
ican's comments are in blue
revel wrote:
I believe that CI already showed enough sources to show that Bush did indeed push for a reduction in Vet. benefits.
I agree "that CI already showed enough sources", my wiseguy parenthetic comment to the contrary not withstanding.

While President Bush allegedly changed his mind and is now allegedly pushing for a major increase in veterans health benefits, his alleged previous pushing for a decrease is simply unforgiveable. While we can easily forgive that kind of chang-of-mind behavior when exhibited by everyone else, it simply cannot be tolerated by a President of the United States of America who is also a Republican.

As for the other, I don't agree with across the board tax cuts and will leave it at that.
By "across the board tax cuts" I assume you mean same amount of reduction in tax rate for everyone. For example, if the income tax rates on annual taxable incomes of $20,000, $100,000, $500,000 and $2,500,000 were, respectively, 10%, 15%, 20%, and 25%, you would not agree with reducing each of these tax rates by 5% to, respectively, 5%, 10%, 15%, and 20%.

Much as I have resisted it, I finally understand that as a practical matter, the U.S.Constitutional is not really "the supreme Law of the Land;" the US Supreme Court is the supreme law of the land. For example, the following excerpts from the Constitution are, practically speaking, merely quaint historical phrases no thinking person should really take seriously and think are applicable to our modern progressive era:

Quote:
Excerpt from Article IV Section 2 (1789): The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states.

Excerpt from Article V (1789) : The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress

Excerpt from Article VI (1789): This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land

Amendment V (1789): No person shall be ... deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment XIV (1868): Section 1. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Section 5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Amendment XVI (1913): The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several states, and without regard to any census of enumeration.

Everyone knows, right, the US Supreme Court has on its own authority amended Amendment XVI to read:
The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several states, and without regard to any census of enumeration, and without regard to anything else in the US Constitution.

Who needs the Rule of Law, anyway? Crying or Very sad

You completely missed my point about the rebates.
Please accept my apology.

When Clinton left office there was a surplus. Bush said that he was going to give the money back to us with it. He should have saved it for a rainy day instead since the rebates didn't amount to more than a couple of trips to grocery store at best anyway. That way when 9/11 came around we would have had a little more money for the economy than we did. I am not saying that would have held off the recession, but every little bit helps when money is tight.
Foolish me. I believe those economists who then and now allege that distributing those rebates helped reduce the severity of the recession and its attendent loss in jobs and job income that had been brought on by the burden of excessive income tax rates. They allege that the bigger help to reducing the recession was/is the additional tax rate cuts that followed. (Our personal rebate, because we pay a 15% tax rate on our income was about $600.) By investing and/or spending that rebate, I think one did more to improve the US economy, its attendent increase in jobs and job income, and its consequent increase in subsequent income tax collections, than leaving it with the US Treasury would have done.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 01:18 pm
blatham wrote:
The most succinct statement regarding this war and the statements by the administration as regards why and how it goes that I have seen....

blatham's signature: "Conservatives understand that there can be a difference between a lie and an untruth".

I infer that you do not understand that Conservatives understand that a lie is knowingly telling an untruth, a falsehood, or a falsity.

Maybe my inference is a falsity. You may actually understand this, and are knowingly telling an untruth by falsifying what you know Conservatives actually understand. In such case then:

LIAR LIAR, YOUR PANTS ON FIRE
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 03:27 pm
Ican you are a conservative, I am a democrat, we see all these economic issues differently.

Wars cost money that don't come from the private sector but comes from the government and if you give it all away you are not going to have it so in desperation you have to talk about taking away benefits from the very people who serve in the wars and from other needy people like the disabled and elderly and public schools...

Its all very well to say that the rebates helped to avoid an even bigger recession when there is no way to prove such a thing since the rebates were taken out of the surplus and we did have a recession and we are now having to talk about drastic cuts to cut down on the ever growing defecits that has always grown under republican presidents and under Bush has reached record highs. But of course it is clinton's fault. Everything is always everyone else's fault besides Bush.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 05:32 pm

revel wrote:
Ican you are a conservative, I am a democrat, we see all these economic issues differently.

I don't know what the label conservative really means, so I don't know if I'm one or not. I also do not know whether any of the following other labels apply to me: rightist, republican, leftist, liberal, or democrat. I don't know what any of these really mean either.

I want to conserve the rule of law. I want the rule of law and its governance to conserve life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I believe one honors oneself simply by willingly and knowingly joining that group whose members all honor the life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness of all members of that group, regardless of the risks. But maybe that makes me a liberal too. Shocked

I agree we see economic issues differently.

Wars cost money that don't come from the private sector but comes from the government and if you give it all away you are not going to have it so in desperation you have to talk about taking away benefits from the very people who serve in the wars and from other needy people like the disabled and elderly and public schools...

Here's an example of our disagreement on economic issues. I think all of the money that pays for government services including those paying for fighting a war, come from the private sector in the form of tax revenues paid by the private sector to government. This money does not ever come from government. All of this money is limited both by tax laws and the wealth and income from the private sector. Any tax money paid to government reduces incomes and investments, and consequently reduces employment opportunities. Unfortunately, if the government tries to take too much tax money from the private sector, the total amount of tax revenue collected by the governent is actually reduced.

For example, if the government were to take 100% of the income received in the private sector, the government would actually receive as much tax revenue as if it taxed 0%, because it would discourage people from bothering to earn any taxable income at all. People wouldn't voluntarily risk investing their money or labor in their own or anyone else's enterprises. To survive, people would seek other ways to trade value for value than using taxable money. Perhaps secret barter agreements would work in many cases. If the tax rate were say 50%, many people would still look for non-taxable ways to trade value, because that is exactly what a great many are doing now. While I don't know the optimum tax rate that will produce maximum tax revenue for the government, I bet it is somewhere between 10 and 29%. I bet less than or more than that optimum rate will produce less tax revenue.

Of course, the Supreme Court could simply decide to repeal both Article V of the Constitution and the 13th Amendent, and compel us all into involuntary servitude to the governent. While some might prefer that, I'm not one of them. Maybe it's that that makes me a conservative. I want to conserve my and everyone else's liberty. Whoops! There I go again. Maybe that makes me a liberal too! Shocked

Its all very well to say that the rebates helped to avoid an even bigger recession when there is no way to prove such a thing since the rebates were taken out of the surplus and we did have a recession and we are now having to talk about drastic cuts to cut down on the ever growing defecits that has always grown under republican presidents and under Bush has reached record highs. But of course it is clinton's fault. Everything is always everyone else's fault besides Bush.

I have repeatedly stated here in this forum my opinion that every president of the US has errored, bungled, and blundered. Bush is no exception. Some of these presidents have nonetheless managed to make timely corrections that enabled them to accomplish making things better and not worse. I don't know yet whether Bush will be able to do that too.

Your claim that ever growing deficits and its consequent federal debt has always grown under republican presidents is false. For example, deficits were eliminated under Eisenhower and Kennedy, and deficits were increased under Roosevelt, Johnson, Carter and Reagan. Historically, some presidents from all political parties (democratic republicans, whigs, federalists, republicans, democrats) have run deficits.

We have no way to prove anything with certainty without assuming at least one thing which we cannot prove with certainty. For example, I assume that a particular airplane I fly is airworthy, but I cannot prove with certainty that is true. If it is true, and if I fly it competently, and if other airplanes do not collide with mine, then I won't crash. In other words you, I and billions of other humans are repeatedly taking the risk of making decisions based on their judgment and experience about what will work. Some decisions work and some don't work. Some decisions work better than others. Some decisions don't work as badly as others. One thing we can be relatively confident of: making no decision will probably not work for very long. That seems to me to be too close to being brain dead.

By the way the rebates were not taken out of the surplus. They were taken out of tax revenues we the people paid that same year. Those rebates were truly refunds of some of the taxes we previously paid in.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 06:50 pm
Quite an inspirational column by the Albanian Ambassador in today's Washington Times. Smile

The Washington Times

Albania stands with U.S. in Iraq

By Fatos Tarifa
Published March 27, 2005The announcement several days ago Albania -- a small country with limited resources -- was sending an additional 50 well-trained troops to Iraq came as a surprise to some observers. But it really should not have surprised anyone.
    Albania was one of only four countries to send combat troops during the operation "Iraqi Freedom." Albania is probably the most pro-American country on Earth. It showed its support of the United States early, when it initially sent 70 commandos to join the Coalition of the Willing's effort to bring peace, stability and free elections to Iraq. These new troops bring to a total of 120 Albanian soldiers serving in Iraq.
    From a country with only 3.5 million people, the troops -- the flower of Albania's youth -- represent the best Albania has to offer. Why does Albania do this when it could have avoided President Bush's call for support, or when it could have dropped out as others have done when the going got tough? The answer is not difficult to find. If you believe in freedom, you believe in fighting for it. If you believe in fighting for freedom, you believe in America.
    Unlike people in other countries in Europe and elsewhere, the Albanian people have not forgotten what it is like to live under tyranny and repression. The Albanians for more than 40 years were held in thrall by the repressive forces of the communists, living like prisoners without rights in their own country. It was to the United States that freedom-loving Albanians looked for inspiration during those dark years, and the Americans have not let us down.
    "We Albanians are a nation of freedom fighters who know something about living under oppression," Albanian Prime Minister Fatos Nano wrote in a letter to President Bush. "That is why we wholeheartedly support the American-led effort to free the people of Iraq. And though we are a small country with a small military, we are proud to stand side by side with our allies in the fight to end the reign of terror in Baghdad."
    Europe is a small place and it is hard not to run into history there. It is also hard to avoid the historic contributions of the United States in the defense of freedom and liberty on the Continent. There are cemeteries throughout Europe -- in France, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg -- containing the remains of American soldiers who died in battle to free Europe in two world wars.
    Although it is not fashionable to talk about it, the face of Europe would indeed be much different today were it not for the Americans who died storming the Normandy beaches.
    Were it not for the Americans, there is a good chance there would be no France, nor a United Kingdom nor a Belgium, as we know them today. Were it not for the United States it also is very possible no Balkan countries would be free.
    Upon committing Albania to the Coalition of the Willing, Prime Minister Nano urged his fellow European leaders to visit Normandy "to see for themselves what the United States has been willing to undertake in the name of freedom. We should all visit Normandy. We should pay homage to those brave Americans who stormed ashore at Omaha Beach and gave their lives for the freedom of others. The wonder of it is that the Americans are willing to do it again," Mr. Nano said.
    And of course, it was the U.S.-led effort of NATO to rein in Serbian dictator Slobodan Milosevic and his ethnic cleansing campaign in Kosovo that proved to the world that, in the name of freedom, the United States was willing to fight for the freedom of the oppressed, regardless of religious belief.
    So it is with Iraq. The importance of the American-led effort to liberate Iraq and establish a democratic government for the first time in this country's history cannot be underestimated. It is not the first time the United States has faced suicide bombers trapped in a cult of death. The Japanese kamikazes sought to do to the Americans toward the end of World War II what the terrorists are attempting in Iraq today. The kamikazes failed then, the terrorists will fail now. Japan became a democracy and so will Iraq.
    The difference between the United States and the Islamic terrorists is this: The terrorists export death. The Americans export freedom.     The surprise is not in Albania's decision to send more troops to fight for freedom in Iraq. The surprise would have been if Albania did not.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/functions/print.php?StoryID=20050326-103551-1550r
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 07:16 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Quite an inspirational column by the Albanian Ambassador in today's Washington Times. Smile

Thank you Thank you Thank you JustWonders for posting that. Wow! Very Happy
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 07:27 pm
I promise you I will not forget this.

Quote:
We Albanians are a nation of freedom fighters who know something about living under oppression," Albanian Prime Minister Fatos Nano wrote in a letter to President Bush. "That is why we wholeheartedly support the American-led effort to free the people of Iraq. And though we are a small country with a small military, we are proud to stand side by side with our allies in the fight to end the reign of terror in Baghdad."
Upon committing Albania to the Coalition of the Willing, Prime Minister Nano urged his fellow European leaders to visit Normandy
"to see for themselves what the United States has been willing to undertake in the name of freedom. We should all visit Normandy. We should pay homage to those brave Americans who stormed ashore at Omaha Beach and gave their lives for the freedom of others. The wonder of it is that the Americans are willing to do it again," Mr. Nano said.

0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:36 pm
Ican, I will give you that some democrats had rising deficits, I spoke hastily. I was just remembering the difference between the clinton years and the former Reagan years and now Bush years and that is why I said what I said.

You are also correct that the reason the rebates were given was to stimulate the economy. I got the rebates confused with the tax cut and Bush saying the words, "give it back". In any event, the argument still stands that we should have not spent the surplus which we had under Clinton and saved it for a rainy day. Bush also justified his tax cuts by saying that we would have such a huge surplus under him that we should give the money back to those who made the surplus possible. HE was wrong. We should have saved it for the following hard years.

Some links of interest to the subject at hand.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/09/27/clinton.surplus/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/02/24/national/main274334.shtml

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A36514-2005Mar15?language=printer
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:41 pm
Note, my point to all this which I admit has been labored past the point of interest, is that now we are having to pay for all those tax cuts which in the beginning were justified because we had so much money and then justified to spur the economy.

If the people are not paying money into the govenment which funds the wars then we will simply not have as much money. It is so simple I don't understand why it is made complicated.

I will now shut up about this. :wink:
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:27 pm
revel wrote:
Note, my point to all this which I admit has been labored past the point of interest, is that now we are having to pay for all those tax cuts which in the beginning were justified because we had so much money and then justified to spur the economy.

Yes, we will have to pay for those tax cuts. We will see whether we will have to pay for those tax cuts with higher tax rates on our higher incomes, or with higher tax rates on our lower income, or with the current tax rates on our higher incomes. I bet its the last one, but of course we agree that no one can prove whic until it actually happens oneway or the another.

If the people are not paying money into the govenment which funds the wars then we will simply not have as much money. It is so simple I don't understand why it is made complicated.

Yes, if we don't pay the money into government to fund the wars in a reasonable time, government will go into still greater debt. That will fuel still greater inflation which will make our incomes worth less. That result is equivalent to a consumption tax that hurts the poor disproportionally more than the rich.

I will now shut up about this. :wink:

Me too ... for now. :wink:
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:33 pm
revel wrote:
Ican, I will give you that some democrats had rising deficits, I spoke hastily. I was just remembering the difference between the clinton years and the former Reagan years and now Bush years and that is why I said what I said.

You are also correct that the reason the rebates were given was to stimulate the economy. I got the rebates confused with the tax cut and Bush saying the words, “give it back”. In any event, the argument still stands that we should have not spent the surplus which we had under Clinton and saved it for a rainy day. Bush also justified his tax cuts by saying that we would have such a huge surplus under him that we should give the money back to those who made the surplus possible. HE was wrong. We should have saved it for the following hard years.

Yes, only Clinton (who did it with a tax increase) ran a surplus since Kennedy (who did it with a tax decrease) did that, and only Kennedy did that since Eisenhower (who did that with a tax decrease) did that. As for tomorrow: "We shall see my little chickadee." After all you said we cannot prove now what we claim now will happen in the future. Laughing

Some links of interest to the subject at hand.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/09/27/clinton.surplus/

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/02/24/national/main274334.shtml

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A36514-2005Mar15?language=printer
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 10:28 pm
Some Creditors Make Illegal Demands on Active-Duty Soldiers
By DIANA B. HENRIQUES

Published: March 28, 2005

gt. John J. Savage III, an Army reservist, was about to climb onto a troop transport plane for a flight to Iraq from Fayetteville, N.C., when his wife called with alarming news: "They're foreclosing on our house."

Sergeant Savage recalled, "There was not a thing I could do; I had to jump on the plane and boil for 22 hours."

He had reason to be angry. A longstanding federal law strictly limits the ability of his mortgage company and other lenders to foreclose against active-duty service members.

But Sergeant Savage's experience was not unusual. Though statistics are scarce, court records and interviews with military and civilian lawyers suggest that Americans heading off to war are sometimes facing distracting and demoralizing demands from financial companies trying to collect on obligations that, by law, they cannot enforce.

Some cases involve nationally prominent companies like Wells Fargo and Citigroup, though both say they are committed to strict compliance with the law.

The problem, most military law specialists say, is that too many lenders, debt collectors, landlords, lawyers and judges are unaware of the federal statute or do not fully understand it.

The law, the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, protects all active-duty military families from foreclosures, evictions and other financial consequences of military service. The Supreme Court has ruled that its provisions must "be liberally construed to protect those who have been obliged to drop their own affairs to take up the burdens of the nation."

Yet the relief act has not seemed to work in recent cases like these:

¶At Fort Hood, Tex., a soldier's wife was sued by a creditor trying to collect a debt owed by her and her husband, who was serving in Baghdad at the time. A local judge ruled against her, saying she had defaulted, even though specialists say the relief act forbids default judgments against soldiers serving overseas and protects their spouses as well.

¶At Camp Pendleton, Calif., more than a dozen marines returned from Iraq to find that their cars and other possessions had been improperly sold to cover unpaid storage and towing fees. The law forbids such seizures without a court order.

¶In northern Ohio, Wells Fargo served a young Army couple with foreclosure papers despite the wife's repeated efforts to negotiate new repayment terms with the bank. Wells Fargo said later that it had been unaware of the couple's military status. The foreclosure was dropped after a military lawyer intervened.

Little-Known Legislation

The relief act provides a broad spectrum of protections to service members, their spouses and their dependents. The interest rate on debts incurred before enlistment, for example, must be capped at 6 percent if military duty has reduced a service member's family income.

The law also protects service members from repossession or foreclosure without a court order. It allows them to terminate any real estate lease when their military orders require them to do so. And it forbids judges from holding service members in default on any legal matter unless the court has first appointed a lawyer to protect their interests.

The law is an updated version of the Soldiers' and Sailors' Civil Relief Act, which was adopted on the eve of World War II and remained largely unchanged through the Persian Gulf war of 1991. But in July 2001, a federal court ruled that service members could sue violators of the relief act for damages. And the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11 prompted Congress to take up a long-deferred Pentagon proposal to update the old act. The revised statute, clearer and more protective than the old one, was signed into law in December 2003.

But the news was apparently slow in reaching those who would have to interpret and enforce the law.

"There are 50,000 judges in this country and God knows how many lawyers," said Alexander P. White, a county court judge in Chicago and the chairman of one of the American Bar Association's military law committees. "Are people falling down on the job - the judges, the bar, the military? Probably." And broad understanding of the law "is not going to happen overnight."
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 12:53 am
Hey seen this? I am reminded that it was just after Saddam started pricing his oil in Euros, that Iraq got invaded.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/032705Y.shtml

Currently, the United States, by having an inflationary monetary policy, can force more of that growth to go here rather than elsewhere. Not because the US is doing better, but because oil is priced in dollars and protected by US carriers

"Collision Course
By Stirling Newberry
t r u t h o u t | Perspective
Sunday 27 March 2005
Europe is in the process of trying to pass a new constitution, and it is going to be a delicate business. Le Figaro reported that, for the first time, more than half of French surveyed were against the new constitution, and the opposition asked Chirac to put his own political weight behind its passage.
Why should this be of interest to the US, and even more so to the opposition to Bush? Because Europe and the Bush are on a collision course, over a deep issue: what kind of world we will live in. It is a global game of chicken over wages and prices.
What is this division? George Bush and Alan Greenspan are pushing a world where materials prices are higher, wages are lower, and the profits of large corporations are higher. They are doing this by running very high budget deficits, having very low interest rates, and using China as a vast engine of deflation to keep wages, and thus consumer inflation in line. This leads to what Professor David Hackett Fischer called a "money drought" in his book The Great Wave. We can see the results: oil has gone from a rock bottom $11 a barrel, to hovering over $55 dollars a barrel. Real wages in the US have barely moved, and yet Wall Street banks are showing record profits. Bush wants everywhere to look just like here: high profits, low wages, and a rush for mining and drilling.
This catches Europe in a bind, because it imports energy, and manufactures goods. The higher material prices go in real terms, the more they have to manufacture to buy energy. The European Central Bank warned about the dangers of increased material prices, and painted a picture of high European unemployment combined with sluggish growth - and said that they were committed to staying the course of fighting inflation. This hard stance has meant that the dollar has fallen dramatically against the Euro, the Swiss Franc, and the British Pound Sterling.
This discipline from Europe is not an issue of left or right: center-right, center-left and left governments have all backed strong currencies. It is not only the Eurozone, as Great Britain and Switzerland show. Instead, it is about holding the line on falling real wages, and being willing to withstand the pressure from the Federal Reserve and United States. Europe has decided to maintain real wages, and not buckle. Either the US Federal Reserve wins, and Europe devalues, or the US runs out of money to borrow, and must dramatically cut expenditures.
Many have commented that the current budget and trade deficits cannot be maintained or sustained; what is not as widely written about is whether Europe can withstand the political pressure of having Germany with 12.5% unemployment, and 8.9% unemployment across the E25 nations. The pressure is for Europe to throw in the towel, lower interest rates dramatically, and accept dramatically lower wages in real terms.
Through most of 2002-2003, it seemed that Europe was alone: most of the other economies in the world devalued to match the dollar, and the Asian central banks bought US debt, allowing the US to finance its borrowing binge. However in 2004 Korea and Japan began "limiting their dollar exposure," which is central bank speak for buying more Euros. Even the Chinese, pinched by higher steel prices and facing a hard slowdown that threatens their internal security, has started to be more assertive.
If Asia swings away from the Bush-Greenspan inflation policy, then the United States will have to come to terms quickly. If it backs that policy, Europe will face increasing internal pressure. Already "blaming Europe" has become something of a pastime in France, and without the European Union, no single nation in Europe is strong enough to fight the Fed by itself.

…..(more) "
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 06:48 am
Quote:

Anthony Shadid of the Washington Post profiles SCIRI preacher Jalal al-Din Saghir of the Baratha Mosque in Baghdad. Shadid finds him full of a rhetoric of excess, a black and white view of the world, and a Shiite triumphalism that scares the Sunnis.

It was Saghir's election to parliament, as part of the United Iraqi Alliance slate, that Americans got all happy and excited about last January 30.

Richard Ingram on the current role of the British Army in the south of Iraq::
"According to Ms Philp, the town of Basra is today controlled by fanatical religious militias which disapprove of things like picnics. So what has happened to the British army which, we thought, was in charge? When one of the students appealed for help at the British military base he was told to 'go to the Iraqi authorities'. From this account, it appears that our army is confined to barracks waiting to be told what to do by a government that doesn't exist. That probably suits Mr Blair, as the last thing he wants is more British casualties hitting the headlines. But one wonders what the army thinks about it. "
Sun, Mar 27, 2005 23:30

Quote:
1. No Government and 16 Dead US Generals revealed on...
No Government and 16 Dead

US Generals revealed on Sunday that a) guerrillas in Iraq are able to keep the number of attacks at about 60 a day and b) that the proportion of fighters that is foreign jihadis has increased somewhat in the past few months. (The proportion seems to have been about 5 percent through last fall). The CIA is worried that the jihadis are getting training in Iraq that will allow them to contribute to destabilizing the Middle East and might impel them to attack the United States, as the veterans of the Reagan Afghanistan Jihad did.

By the way, if there are 60 attacks a day, why do I only read about 7 or 8 of them?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 06:51 am
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/03/28/iraq.main/index.html

Monday, March 28, 2005 Posted: 6:06 AM EST (1106 GMT)

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Insurgents struck at Iraqi security forces Monday, killing the head of a Baghdad police station and another officer in separate attacks, police said.

Col. Abdul Kahrim Fahad, head of the Balat al-Shouhada police station, and his driver were gunned down Monday morning in a drive-by shooting in southeastern Baghdad.

Fahad was on his way to his office around 8 a.m. (12 a.m. ET) in his private car when the attack took place.

About half an hour earlier, a roadside bomb exploded near an Iraqi police patrol in southwestern Baghdad, killing one Iraqi policeman and wounding five other people, including three Iraqi police.

On Sunday, a group claiming to be al Qaeda in Iraq said it killed an Iraqi Interior Ministry official, according to an unauthenticated video posted on an Islamist Web site.

The video shows a blindfolded man who identifies himself as Col. Ryadh Katie Olyway. He is shown holding an identity card with that name. A group of men with machine guns then point their weapons at him.

In a portion of the tape unavailable to CNN, the men appear to kill the blindfolded man, according to The Associated Press.

Col. Ryadh Katie Olyway was kidnapped about a month ago, an official with the Iraqi Ministry said. The official said Olyway works with both the Interior Ministry and the Oil Ministry.

The Interior Ministry has seen the video, but was unable to immediately verify its authenticity or say definitively whether Olyway is the man in the video, the official said.

The group al Qaeda in Iraq has claimed responsibility for numerous killings of foreigners and Iraqis. U.S. officials say the group is run by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, whom the U.S. government calls the most wanted terrorist in Iraq.

Other developments

An Air Force an unmanned reconnaissance plane -- an MQ-1 Predator -- crashed early Sunday near Balad, Iraq, the Combined Air Operations Center said. The military made no comment about the cause of the crash, but said that "a board of officers" would investigate.

Two U.S. soldiers were killed and two others wounded when a car bomb exploded in southwestern Baghdad, the U.S. military said Saturday. The Task Force Baghdad soldiers were on patrol Saturday around 8:30 a.m. (12:30 a.m. ET) when the car bomb detonated, according to a military statement. Also, a U.S. Marine was killed in combat in the western province of Anbar on Friday, the U.S. military said. Since the start of the war in March 2003, 1,527 U.S. forces have died in Iraq.

A political official says Iraq's transitional national assembly plans to convene Tuesday morning. The 275-member transitional body was to meet this weekend, but the office of Barhim Salih, the interim deputy prime minister, said the assembly will meet Tuesday morning instead.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:05 am
McTag, I believe you are looking at the primary reason for the invasion of Iraq.

Ican:
Quote:
Here's an example of our disagreement on economic issues. I think all of the money that pays for government services including those paying for fighting a war, come from the private sector in the form of tax revenues paid by the private sector to government. This money does not ever come from government. All of this money is limited both by tax laws and the wealth and income from the private sector. Any tax money paid to government reduces incomes and investments, and consequently reduces employment opportunities. Unfortunately, if the government tries to take too much tax money from the private sector, the total amount of tax revenue collected by the governent is actually reduced.

The line I bolded is what I take issue with. I believe this is patently untrue, for several reasons.

First, you assume that any monies not paid in taxes lead to increased employment opportunities. This is not a logical position to hold, as there are many ways to spend one's money that do not in fact lead to greater employment opportunities, and a whole host of ways to spend it that do not lead to greater employment opportunities in America. Not to mention the very real possibility that you may not spend the money at all. Therefore it is disingenuous to say that taxation causes less job opportunities because it simply isn't true, and is the same old Voodoo economics all over again. I'd like to see your reasoning on this.

Second, how many are employed by the gov't itself? I know you think that number should be as close to zero as possible, but there are a large number of critical jobs for society that are funded with public monies, and when there aren't enough public monies, that reduces job opportunities in that sector accordingly. So by avoiding taxes, one can actually be said to be lowering job opportunity for many Americans.

Last, a question: how do you differentiate the private sector and the public sector of society?

Cheers to all

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies