THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:04 am
Quote:
British troops may replace Italians in Iraq
By Kim Sengupta
19 March 2005

Britain could send more troops to Iraq to fill the gap left by the proposed withdrawal of Italian soldiers, General Sir Mike Jackson, the head of the Army, has said.

The news of the possible deployment comes as protesters gather for what is expected to be a well-attended march today against the continuing presence of British troops on the anniversary of the invasion.

British troops have already had to step in to take over from the 1,500-strong Dutch contingent as the "coalition of the willing" continues to evaporate in the face of continuing violence in Iraq and protests at home.

Poland, Ukraine and Portugal are all in the process of pulling back their forces, and Silvio Berlusconi has announced the 3,200 Italian soldiers will begin withdrawing in September.

General Jackson said yesterday that no decision has been made on further British deployment, but he added: "Of course there is a capacity to do more if that is the decision ...There seems to be, shall we say, a little confusion precisely as to the Italian contingent and that will be clarified in due course."

The Italian force, a combination of troops and carabinieri, are based at Nasiriyah, in British-controlled southern Iraq, as were the Dutch. Senior US officers are said to feel that it will be "logical" for Britain to take over their role.

Charles Heyman, a senior analyst with the defence information group, Jane's, said: "It's going to be a big hole. I think it's almost impossible for the Americans to produce another 3,000 extra troops. We are probably going to be asked to fill the gap ... people will be looking around for other coalition contingents to help out and it doesn't look as though they are going to find much success in finding anybody else who's going to send 3,000 troops to Iraq."

A defence official said yesterday: "We haven't got a huge amount of commitment elsewhere and there will not be any major logistical problem in deploying more to Iraq. The main problem, of course, is political."

Downing Street claimed yesterday that Mr Berlusconi's remarks about withdrawal had been misrepresented and Italian troops will not pull out. However, Mr Berlusconi had said that he had already discussed his forces' withdrawal with Tony Blair. "We need to construct a precise exit strategy. It is public opinion in our country which expects this decision," he said.

"We will begin to reduce our contingent in Iraq before the end of the year, in agreement with our allies. The first reduction will start in September."

Britain had planned to cut its troops after the Iraqi elections at the end of January. But 650 soldiers, from the Queen's Dragoon Guards and The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, had to be sent to replace the Dutch in the province of Muthanna.

The exit strategy said to have been agreed by the US and Britain is based on Iraqi forces taking over the main burden of security, but there are fears not enough progress has been made.
Source
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:34 am
Foxfyre wrote:

But there are those, some even on this thread, who still think the Americans are the bad guys and are especially evil because they shoot to kill terrorists.

Shoot to kill terrorists, shoot to kill innocent people, bomb villages and towns, lie about motives, lie about events, torture detainees, kill captives- have I missed anything out?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 02:20 am
I would think it would take more courage and a whole lot more honesty to acutally name names when insulting and passing judgements on posters.

Having said that I think foxfrye whole statement is kind of screwed. It is an obvious given that terrorist are bad; why the need to point that out when we are discussing the leader of a such as strong country as the United States and it's decisions which affect the whole world?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 06:01 am
From todays Guardian

At the time that Kevin Bendermans unit was called up for a second tour in Iraq with the Third Infantry Division, two soldiers tried to kill themselves and another had a relative shoot him in the leg. Seventeen went awol or ran off to Canada, and Sergeant Benderman, whose family has sent a son to every war since the American revolution, defied his genes and nine years of military training and followed his conscience...
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 08:14 am
source

Quote:
At dusk the night the Iraq war started in March 2003, Staff Sgt. Spurgeon M. Shelley was near the Kuwaiti border, watching the orange glow of missiles streak overhead as he guided one Marine ammunition convoy after another north across the line of departure.

Manning a dirt berm while wearing his gas mask and full chemical suit, Shelley was determined to make it home alive to see his daughter, Lena, 2. "I'm going to do whatever I have to, to survive," he told himself.

Today, Shelley is on duty in what he calls a "one-man fighting hole" on another battlefield -- a Marine recruiting station in Lexington Park, Md., in St. Mary's County -- with a mission to persuade young men and women to enlist, and probably go to war.

One recent night, after making dozens of fruitless phone calls to high school students, Shelley said his recruiting job is more taxing than combat. "I hear 'no' more times in one day than a child would hear in their entire childhood," he said. "If I had hair, I'd pull it out."

The active-duty Army and Marine Corps, and five of six reserve components of the military, all failed to meet at least some recruiting goals in the first quarter of fiscal 2005, according to Defense Department statistics. The active-duty shortfalls came amid rising concern among Army and Marine officials that their services risk missing annual recruiting quotas for the first time this decade.

Shelley, for example, has signed up four people in nearly six months, despite working 16-hour days. Asked why recruiting is so difficult, he has a quick reply: "The war."

Increasingly, surveys show that the main reason young American adults avoid military service is that they -- and to a greater degree their parents -- fear that enlisting could mean a war-zone deployment and death or injury. One survey showed such fears nearly doubling among respondents from 2000 to 2004.

I think maybe that it is harder to sell the war to those that would have to go to war when the only reason left to say that they may have to go off and die is for democracy for others. That sounds really bad and selfish on our part, but I think it may be true.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 10:28 am
"I think maybe that it is harder to sell the war to those that would have to go to war when the only reason left to say that they may have to go off and die is for democracy for others. That sounds really bad and selfish on our part, but I think it may be true."

Has it ever occurred to you Revel that American troops sent to Iraq may be there for reasons other than the voting rights of Iraqis?

Now I know Mr Bush has a long history of showing concern for Iraqi voting rights. I think if I remember correctly he made several speeches to that effect as Governor of Texas..."Vote for me" he said, "and I will ensure everyone in Iraq, which is in the middle east, will get to vote. If they don't get the vote, I will send the sons and daughters of Texas to war to secure it, so vote for me George Bush...because I really care about Iraq".

On another occasion I remember him (almost in tears) recalling the terrible plight of women in Afghanistan who were forced to wear unsuitable clothing. "Have you any idea how hot it gets in one of those bourkhas? This is a scar on the conscience of the world, and that's why I sending our special forces, with some ofthe finest American women's wear to get them cool and fresh and Christian as God intended".

Yes Mr Bush truly has the welfare of the poor, the dispossessed, the disenfranchised and hot women in bourkhas everywhere when he sends American troops to invade their countries.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 10:53 am
Actually I think the quote was 'I want to put some democracy on em' .....
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:10 am
Steve writes (I presume sarcastically)
Quote:
Yes Mr Bush truly has the welfare of the poor, the dispossessed, the disenfranchised and hot women in bourkhas everywhere when he sends American troops to invade their countries.

No, the purpose for invading Afghanistan was in retaliation for 9/11. We accomplished that with the even more gratifying result of freeing people from a cruel and despotic government and giving them the chance to rule their own destiny.

Then while we were at it, we decided to remove what most of the free world considered to be a significant threat: Saddam Hussein's WMD and WMD program complete with evidence he had used them and would use them again along with tolerating, funding, and sheltering terrorists while thumbing his nose at U.N. resolutions, taking potshots at those attempting to enforce the sanctions, and thwarting the inspectors.

Once in Iraq the WMD didn't pan out as expected, but then we found plenty of good reasons to be there not the least of which we learned that sanctions were enriching Saddam and killing his people by the tens of thousands, and we learned that most of the Iraqi people wanted to be free and wanted a better life.

At that point this became a humanitarian mission and yes, the vast majority of our American troops understand that and are behind it 100%. We would not abandon those people to murderous butchers who would slaughter them by the hundreds of thousands if we leave before they are ready to defend themselves.

The unexpected benefits have been enormous as the new winds of freedom blow across the Middle East and we are witnessing what some have described 'the Arab spring'. Even the most selfish American with any sense of history and/or economics has to see the enormous benefit in that.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:18 am
http://www.allhatnocattle.net/778.jpg
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:39 am
Revel writes
Quote:
I would think it would take more courage and a whole lot more honesty to acutally name names when insulting and passing judgements on posters.

What is more accurate: Saying 'some on this thread seem to condemn the USA. the President, and the troops more than the terrorists' or saying 'Revel seems to condemn the USA more than the terrorists?' Do you wish to be singled out? Do you think you deserve the accusation?

Is it easier to discuss a point of view when it is presented generically or objectively rather than personally directed?

What takes more honesty? Saying you think the USA are the bad guys? Or posting post after post after post putting the USA, the President, the troops in the worst possible light and giving every impression that one thinks the problem is there instead of with the murderous thugs who kidnap, terrorize, cut throats, lie to young gullible kids to be suicide bombers who then kill large numbers of purely innocent men, women, and children?

Ican talks about the 'Irratios'. Well I think only Irratios would think those who condemn the USA and do not condemn the terrorists are not actually in sympathy at least somewhat with the terrorists or perhaps do not consider them to be terrorists at all but simply freedom fighters defending their country from the evil, greedy occupiers. In other words, if there was no USA or no USA initiative in the Middle East, there would be much less incentive for the terrorists to be terrorists; i.e. it is the USA's fault that the terrorists terrorize.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:52 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:

No presumption necessary.

Quote:

No, the purpose for invading Afghanistan was in retaliation for 9/11.

Very far from being true, but unfortunately the desire for revenge gave Mr Bush the impetus his neo-con advisers and planners wanted. The invasion of Afghanistan was planned before that.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:55 am
Fox, painting all that oppose your march into the showers view, as the scum that scum scrapes of their shoes is your answer? You can't make something true by saying it and I for one am damn tired of having you tell others what I am thinking!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:56 am
You are entitled to your opinion. However in my case you are wrong. I have already stated my views about the Bush administration and their handling of just about everything but in particular their handling of Iraq. I infer you don't accept my defense and I can accept that.

I think the insurgents, who are still called insurgents btw, have crossed over the line of defending their country from what they perceive to be occupiers when they started killing their own and innocent by-standers like civilians who work in Iraq.

I have never agreed with those who have come from other countries to join with the insurgents though Bush invited them to come in.

I think the Bush adminstration and the leaders in the military have done a lousy job since the fall of saddam hussien notwithstanding the election that only came about through the security being locked down tighter than a debutante in Victorian England and through the nobel efforts of those who risked their lives to vote.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:57 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:

No, the purpose for invading Afghanistan was in retaliation for 9/11. We accomplished that with the even more gratifying result of freeing people from a cruel and despotic government and giving them the chance to rule their own destiny.

Then while we were at it, we decided to remove what most of the free world considered to be a significant threat: Saddam Hussein's WMD and WMD program complete with evidence he had used them and would use them again along with tolerating, funding, and sheltering terrorists while thumbing his nose at U.N. resolutions, taking potshots at those attempting to enforce the sanctions, and thwarting the inspectors.

Once in Iraq the WMD didn't pan out as expected, but then we found plenty of good reasons to be there not the least of which we learned that sanctions were enriching Saddam and killing his people by the tens of thousands, and we learned that most of the Iraqi people wanted to be free and wanted a better life.

At that point this became a humanitarian mission and yes, the vast majority of our American troops understand that and are behind it 100%. We would not abandon those people to murderous butchers who would slaughter them by the hundreds of thousands if we leave before they are ready to defend themselves.

The unexpected benefits have been enormous as the new winds of freedom blow across the Middle East and we are witnessing what some have described 'the Arab spring'. Even the most selfish American with any sense of history and/or economics has to see the enormous benefit in that.

The difference between our two posts Foxfyre was that my sarcasm was pretty obvious, whereas yours is unintentional. Smile
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 11:58 am
McTag, I have read that there are war plans for invading England, Japan, Germany, the Phillipines, Texas. and any place else you can name safely tucked into the Defense Department computers in the very remote possibility that these might be needed in some future circumstance.

I am amazed, however, (and impressed) that you give our President such good marks for insight, initiative, and foresight to invade Afghanistan during the eight months he was in office when 9/11 happened. You see, we know he's not nearly so dumb as the neolibs wish him to be. I'm gratified that you recognize it however far fetched your theory of his intentions might be.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:02 pm
Geli writes
Quote:
And painting all that oppose your march into the showers view as the scum that scum scrapes of their shoes is your answer? You can't make something true by saying it and I for one am damn tired of having you tell others what I am thinking!

Hmm I don't think I included all in my comments Geli, but thanks for being honest enough to include yourself in the 'some' indicated. Smile
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:05 pm
Steve writes
Quote:
The difference between our two posts Foxfyre was that my sarcasm was pretty obvious, whereas yours is unintentional.

Except mine isn't sarcasm at all. It is 100% heartfelt.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:12 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Geli writes
Quote:
And painting all that oppose your march into the showers view as the scum that scum scrapes of their shoes is your answer? You can't make something true by saying it and I for one am damn tired of having you tell others what I am thinking!

Hmm I don't think I included all in my comments Geli, but thanks for being honest enough to include yourself in the 'some' indicated. Smile

you have to be talking to someone ...... if you don't name names you are talking to everyone.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:16 pm
Well I don't know about that Geli. When I went to school 'some' meant fewer than all or everybody. But I admit liberalism has considerably damaged education in this country, so maybe the definition of 'some' isn't what it used to be.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 12:22 pm
Worldwide protests mark Iraq war

There is still widespread opposition to the Iraq war
Protests have been taking place across the world marking two years since the start of the war in Iraq.
Thousands turned out in Japan and Australia to complain about their countries' involvement in Iraq.

People have been gathering in London for a rally expected to attract tens of thousands, with events also taking place across Europe and in the US.

US President George Bush said the war took place "to disarm a brutal regime, free its people, and defend the world".

More than 4,500 people marched in Tokyo during a visit by US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

"The Self-Defence Force [Japan's military] should withdraw from Iraq immediately... and the occupation of Iraq should be stopped," said Ken Takada, a member of civic group World Peace Now.

I think it's outrageous what Blair and Bush think they can get away with

John Salway
Protester, London

Japan has about 550 troops in southern Iraq in a non-combat role.

In Canberra and other Australian cities, protesters marched against what they called the "coalition of the killing".

Australia recently announced the deployment of a further 450 soldiers to Iraq.

In Greece, unions and left-wing groups organised marches on the streets of Athens.

An organiser said 5,000 people took part, while police put the figure at 2,000.

"Bush, the number one terrorist," said leaflets being passed out to marchers.

Mayor's mansion

Anti-war protesters gathered in London's Hyde Park on Saturday for their own march.

"I think it's outrageous what Blair and Bush think they can get away with," said John Salway, 59.

While some said they wanted British and US forces to withdraw from Iraq, others disagreed.

"We got the Iraqis into this mess, we need to help them out of it," said Kit MacLean, 29.

In Istanbul, Turkey, an estimated 15,000 people marched against the war, while in Stockholm, Sweden, about 300 people turned out to display their anger.

In the US, the Troops Out Now Coalition said it had won the right to march through New York's Central Park and on to the mansion of the city's mayor, Michael Bloomberg.

The International Action Center said protests would also take place in more than 700 cities throughout the US.
0 Replies