THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 11:34 am
Well New Mexico isn't exactly 'up north', Tico Smile But yes, I heard about it. As I said before, both of my kids got their undergraduate work at Wichita State during the 80's (we were living in Salina at the time) and we have dear friends in Wichita as of now. I'm glad they caught him finally. And I'm really really glad he wasn't you Smile

Speaking of trials, I wonder when they're going to put Saddam on trial? Will that be televised?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 11:42 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Well New Mexico isn't exactly 'up north', Tico Smile But yes, I heard about it. As I said before, both of my kids got their undergraduate work at Wichita State during the 80's (we were living in Salina at the time) and we have dear friends in Wichita as of now. I'm glad they caught him finally. And I'm really really glad he wasn't you Smile

<psst> Salina is "up north" when you're in Wichita. Laughing

And I'm glad it wasn't me too.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 11:44 am
Quote:
Speaking of trials, I wonder when they're going to put Saddam on trial? Will that be televised?

It won't be televised, and it won't be a public trial.

In fact, I doubt that it will be a 'trial' at all. Why? There's little doubt that Saddam knows many, many dirty secrets that people don't want revealed; you can't just put him on TV and let him blab about how we assisted him in the use of chemical weapons in the 80's.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 11:52 am
Geez, Cyclop, don't you ever get tired of making these bold pronouncements that keep turning out to be wrong?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 11:56 am
Guess not. Do you ever get tired of using terrible logic in your arguments, having little factual basis to rest those arguments on, and speaking about college as if you knew anything about the current college atmosphere at all?

Like I said, I guess not.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 12:00 pm
Top lawyer or judge working on the Saddam prosecution, and an assistant, were shot dead this morning, leaving their home for work.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 12:03 pm
Where did you see that McTag? It hasn't hit the radar screen here this morning, but I have only been listening to local radio too.

And Cyclop, I might know a bit about the current college atmosphere--you know nothing about me or what I do or where I go everyday. At least however illogical my arguments may be, nobody is using my negative prophecies as a Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval for the probable success of initiatives on the international scene. Smile
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 12:08 pm
So, you do admit that your arguments are illogical?

Quote:
By Mariam Karouny
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Gunmen in Baghdad killed a judge working for the Iraqi special tribunal set up to try Saddam Hussein and his top lieutenants, a setback in efforts to close the chapter on decades of oppression.

Elsewhere in the Iraqi capital, two car bombs killed 13 Iraqi soldiers and wounded dozens in attacks claimed by Al Qaeda's wing in Iraq, led by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

Judge Barawiz Mahmoud and his son, who worked as a lawyer, were killed as they left their home in north Baghdad Tuesday.

His death was the first assassination of a member of the special tribunal, which includes around 50 trial judges, investigating magistrates, prosecutors and appeals court judges.

Mahmoud's other son Maryon said the attack was politically motivated because his father was seeking to bring Saddam and former members of his Baath party to justice.

"I was sleeping and I heard shooting. I came out and saw blood running from my father's neck. My father was shot twice and my brother 11 times," he said near the scene of the shootings. A female relative wailed inside the home.

"We knew this was coming because of my father's work. He and my brother died holding their heads up high. This gives me comfort."

SECURITY FORCES UNDER ATTACK

One of Wednesday's car bombs was outside an Iraqi army base used as a recruitment center. Six soldiers were killed and 38 people were wounded, police said. A second car bomb targeted a convoy of Iraqi soldiers, killing seven and wounding two.

"On Wednesday morning, a lion from the martyrs' brigades of Al Qaeda Organization for Holy War in Iraq carried out a heroic attack on a center of the apostate guards," Zarqawi's group said in a statement which indicated it was a suicide bombing.

In a separate statement posted on Islamist Web sites, it claimed the attack on a convoy of "apostate guards

There's a page 2 as well.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=PWGQ3KMGBOYFOCRBAEZSFFA?type=topNews&storyID=7785591

At this rate, there won't be any judges left to try the guy.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 12:10 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Where did you see that McTag? It hasn't hit the radar screen here this morning, but I have only been listening to local radio too.

I think I saw this on the news last night.

I suggest they not show the next judge's face on TV.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 12:23 pm
Actually, Judge Barwez Mohammed Mahmoud al-Merwani and his son, lawyer Aryan Barwez al-Merwani, both of whom were working with the Iraqi Special Tribunal, were assassinated late Tuesday local time. Initially the murdered judge had been misidentified yesterday.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 12:28 pm
Quote:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 12:33 pm
Cyclop writes
Quote:
So, you do admit that your arguments are illogical?
I'll admit that there is always the possibility that my argument can be shown to be illogical and I invite anyone to show how it is. That's how any of us learn. I'll admit that you say that my arguments are illogical. I won't admit that these two things are the same thing.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 12:47 pm
A surprisingly logical answer!

Kudos to you, Fox.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 12:57 pm
We can only hope the Iraqis will soon stop seeing these terrorist bombings and assassinations as 'normal' and will become more aggressive in dealing with the terrorists. I've been seeing lots of talking heads the last couple of days speculating that bin Laden is conceding defeat in Iraq and is turning his efforts elsewhere. If true, how that will play out on the international scene remains to be seen, but it may mean things will soon calm down in Iraq.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 01:03 pm
Sure seem to be a lot of explosions there for someone who is 'admitting defeat.'

The 'talking heads,' either on the left or the right, don't know sh*t. I think cable news was the worst thing to ever happen to news.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 01:27 pm
usama bin laden just asked al qaeda to target America if that's what you mean.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 01:33 pm
Fox, That you can assume that things may calm down in Iraq soon is something I would never even suggest as this juncture. You using a Weejee board? Wink
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Double post sorry
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Here's a short essay that adds nothing materially to the debate other than it is the opinion of an acknowledged Middle East expert on this stuff:

TERRORIST VS. TERRORIST
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 01:42 pm
The Osama/Zarqawi war against freedom and democracy has just begun - as wars go. It seems positive things are happening in the ME, but it's still too early to make conclusions. We still have chaos and killings in Iraq and elsewhere. I'd like to be able to forecast what it'll be like in five or six years from now. That's a more realistic time frame for trends.
0 Replies