Is the world being destroyed?

maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2021 05:10 am
@hightor,
Don't idolize the Chinese or Russian governments. China and Russia are run like Corporations.

Both China and Russia are run by powerful executives with absolute power in the hands of a very few people. They run large research organizations with no accountability. Western corporations are at least somewhat open, and are accountable to customers and democratic governments.

The Chinese and Russian corporations are opaque and accountable to no one. China can use slave labor with impunity. If Pfizer tries this, the run the risk of being exposed and held economically accountable.

China and Russia get the advantages of corporations, they can build huge bureaucracies with economies of scale and control coming from the top. I prefer Pfizer and Moderna.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2021 05:21 am
Hightor, you are railing against modern progress without giving any alternative. You seem hold up Russia and China as examples of progress... but of course, Russia and China are just as much part of modern reality as the West is (except with child labor).

I think I am asking a fair question. If you don't accept the modern world (with all of its progress and problems), what is the alternative? It is easy to complain about reality, but you haven't offered any realistic alternative reality that doesn't mean going back to a time with starvation, war and disease.

There is a big cost to rejecting modern life. This is why you are now sitting behind a digital computer reading the internet.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2021 05:55 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Don't idolize the Chinese or Russian governments.

I don't "idolize" them, FFS. I brought them up because they illustrate that other economic systems can produce covid vaccines.

Quote:
I prefer Pfizer and Moderna.

What you prefer is immaterial.

Quote:
Hightor, you are railing against modern progress without giving any alternative.

Why do you insist on personalizing the discussion?

I don't have to provide any alternative because I post some critical article written by somebody else. There may not even be an alternative, or the time to create one – which is simply another part of the problem.

Quote:
You seem hold up Russia and China as examples of progress...

No I don't. I think they're both horrible. That doesn't mean they're incapable of producing vaccines.

Quote:
Western corporations are at least somewhat open, and are accountable to customers and democratic governments.

Yeah. And they get to produce and distribute habit-forming drugs that an addicted population demands!

Quote:
I think I am asking a fair question.

Which I don't have to answer.

Quote:
If you don't accept the modern world (with all of its progress and problems), what is the alternative?

How can I not "accept" what I have no ability to decline? What if there is no alternative, or no hope for its implementation?

Quote:
It is easy to complain about reality, but you haven't offered any realistic alternative reality(...)

I haven't offered any alternatives, realistic or unrealistic.

Quote:
(...)that doesn't mean going back to a time with starvation, war and disease.

Which are all still here.

Quote:
There is a big cost to rejecting modern life.

There's a big cost to modern life – which is what the articles in this thread show.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2021 07:34 am
227 environmental activists were murdered in 2020 - more than ever before.

According to a new study by the non-governmental organisation Global Witness, more environmentalists were killed in 2020 than ever before - the organisation calculates a rate of four murders per week. In 2019, 212 environmental activists were murdered worldwide.

Global Witness: Last Line Of Defense
maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2021 07:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
How many tons of CO2 will this save?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2021 07:48 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Corporations were first developed under Monarchy.
Slightly different: the earliest corporations could have been licensed from a town/city, a church or church institution, or their local territory's leader.

maxdancona wrote:
Walter, do you believe that anything other than a modern corporation (or something awfully like it, such as a state-owned corporation) could produce a covid vaccine?
Produced, well a large corporation certainly has benefits here - that's while the universities (e.g. Oxford university) and smaller private companies (e.g. BioNtech) who developed the vaccines cooperated with large corporations (AstraZeneca resp. Pfizer).

maxdancona

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2021 04:04 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
It doesn't seem like you are disagreeing with me.

Modern life gives us all sorts of benefits; from modern medicine, to human rights, to a better standard of living, and to the ability to avoid famine. This is not to mention indoor plumbing, safe drinking water and protection from the barbarian hordes.

We both understand history. The process that brought us to this point involve humans organizing through more complex systems of government, and economics.

In general as we have developed, humanity has become more prosperous, more just and more scientifically advanced....

Walter, do you agree with this basic narrative?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2021 05:51 am
‘Forever chemicals’: the hidden threat from the toxic PFAS on your shelf

PFAS are used in paints, food packaging and even cosmetics. We know they are in our water, air, soil and bodies – but less about how they will affect us

Quote:
For months I’ve been watching the construction of our new garage. The breeze-block walls have been built, soffits are in place under the eaves, the concrete floor has been poured and slate tiles are being fixed on to the roof. Soon it will be time to render the exterior with sand and cement, to seal and waterproof the walls, to varnish the new fencing, and finish it all off with a shiny coat of paint.

That means a trip to the DIY store, where the shelves are full of marketing appeals. Glossy varnishes promise to colour wood for five years. Fence treatments are UV resistant and rainproof within half an hour and protect against rot. Masonry paint is no longer just about the colour: do I need pure brilliant or ultra-smooth, anti-mould or weatherproof?

Many of these items rely for their seemingly magical properties on PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances), known as “forever chemicals”. This group of synthetic chemicals are used to prevent corrosion, reduce friction and make products waterproof and stain-resistant. Used in everything from cosmetics to food packaging, PFAS also show up in paint (as a binding agent and to give a smooth finish), wood lacquers (for repelling oil and water, and stain resistance) and sealants. They are used in the top layer of solar panels, artificial grass and firefighting foams.

PFAS’ incredibly strong carbon-flourine bonds mean these chemicals do not biodegrade. Renovations will not last for ever but PFAS persist and accumulate in soil, water, air, wildlife and our bodies. PFAS have been found in human breast milk and the blood of 97% of Americans. Exposure to some PFAS has been linked to fertility problems, changes in metabolism, and an increased risk of obesity and cancer – yet so much still remains unknown about their long-term consequences.

Eroded by the elements or dumped down drains, PFAS end up in the water system. Once there, remediation – removing the pollution – is impossible. Water-treatment plants can use activated carbon to filter out some, but not all, PFAS and other contaminants, but it is expensive and requires high-temperature incineration. Most of the chemicals from that silky smooth painted wall or rust-free railing ultimately end up in the ocean.

Globally, PFAS have been widely documented in rivers, lakes, wetlands and every ocean; they are on Mount Everest and in Arctic sea ice. But they are most prevalent where there are lots of people – in European cities’ river catchments, for example.

“Wherever there is society, there’s use of PFAS,” says Prof Ian Cousins, an environmental chemist at Stockholm University, who has studied this huge, diverse group of chemicals for 20 years. “PFAS are raining down everywhere – you’ll find them in rainwater wherever you live at higher concentrations than the environmental standards set for rivers.”

Cousins thinks this is a bigger problem than we have acknowledged. “We shouldn’t be releasing these man-made substances into the environment because they’re cycling around in water systems. Some transform into more harmful PFAS before coming back into air from the oceans, then raining down back on to land. The upstream solution is to not use these persistent chemicals in the first place.”

The market for just building materials containing PFAS, however, is worth $26bn (£19bn), according to the American Chemistry Council (compared with $753bn for the semiconductor industry). Two of the most widespread and hazardous – PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid), used to make Teflon, and PFOS (perfluorooctane sulphonic acid) – have been phased out in most of the world but remain in the oceans. PFOA and PFOS were most detrimental at the manufacturing stage, where factory workers were exposed.

However, not all PFAS are toxic to humans: the chemistry is much more nuanced. “Mapping the universe of PFAS, and trying to understand which are bad and which aren’t, is an important activity but that is going to take decades [to calculate] and by then it could be too late to do anything about it,” says Cousins.

Some PFAS used in building materials include big molecules, such as fluoropolymers, used as coatings on roofing, that are not released when it rains. But they leach into the soil once a building gets knocked down and goes into landfill. Substances that add water-repellency or are used to make paints, inks, varnishes and lacquers are more of an immediate environmental concern, because they have smaller residual PFAS molecules that wash off more easily.

Many short-chain PFAS dissolve in water. In the ocean, most remain near the surface, in a layer between 50 and 200 metres deep. Gradually, this layer mixes with deeper water. Some chemicals sink, ending up in sediment or in the marine food chain; others remain in the water column. Some, such as PFOA, act like detergents, repelling water and rising back to the surface, to be released again into the atmosphere; Cousins and his team found that some PFAS get released as marine aerosols or droplets in sea spray, when wave movements create air bubbles.

In fact, sea-spray aerosols from the ocean are the biggest source of atmospheric PFAS. There, they “can affect climate and cloud generation and all sorts of things”, says Cousins. In North America’s Great Lakes region, PFAS levels in rainfall exceed that of other legacy contaminants, such as mercury and pesticides.

Cousins recommends that manufacturers take a precautionary approach, by designing alternatives that biodegrade. Some PFAS-free alternatives do exist. Roofing materials can be made with silicone or acrylic coatings. Acrylics can be used to make paints durable and glossy. Silicones or paraffin waxes can make wood lacquers repel water; silicones and epoxy resins can seal porous building materials.

However, because ingredients are not always listed on the tin, it is tricky for shoppers to make informed decisions. A simple guide is to avoid anything labelled as perfluoro, polyfluoro or fluoro, which indicates they contain PFAS.

And it is not just amateurs doing up their homes who can vote with their wallets. Owners of large buildings, such as hospitals, universities and commercial property developers, have a lot of focused buying power too, according to Hannah Ray, of the Green Science Policy Institute. She wants PFAS chemicals limited to essential use only, where no feasible alternative is available. There has been some progress, she says: “Germany, the Netherlands, Denmark, Norway and Sweden have submitted their intention to restrict PFAS as a class and the US state of Maine will ban most uses of PFAS from 2030.”

The Green Science Policy Institute warns of “regrettable substitution” – replacing a hazardous PFAS with a slightly different PFAS not yet found to be toxic.

In the meantime, I am looking for safer PFAS-free alternatives for my garage, such as linseed oil to coat the wooden fence, and water-based “eco” paint ranges, although even these do include small amounts of PFAS as binders. The Cradle 2 Cradle certified building products list is a good place to start, and if there is a choice between glueing something or mechanically fixing it together with screws, I will choose the latter, because otherwise it is hard to know what the long-term effects of my choices will be.

“Some PFAS could have effects that could be catastrophic, but it’s hard to predict,” says Cousins. “We could discover we’ve all been using a chemical that’s going to make us sick but that’s very difficult to remove from the environment.”

guardian
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2021 05:53 am
World Faces Growing Risk of Food Shortages Due to Climate Change

Quote:
(Bloomberg) -- Food supplies will struggle to keep pace with the world’s growing population as climate change sends temperatures soaring and droughts intensify, according to a report from Chatham House.

Yields of staple crops could decline by almost a third by 2050 unless emissions are drastically reduced in the next decade, while farmers will need to grow nearly 50% more food to meet global demand, the think tank said. The Chatham House report was drawn up for heads of state before next month’s pivotal United Nations COP26 climate summit in Glasgow.

Food prices are already near a decade high, fueled by supply chain disruptions during the pandemic and extreme weather. Wheat prices surged over the summer due to crop losses in some of the biggest exporters. The Chatham House report suggests climate challenges could keep that trend intact.

“We can expect all basic food staples to significantly increase in price,” the report’s lead author Daniel Quiggin said in an interview. “We would also expect there to be shortages in some reaches of the world.”

Thе proportion of cropland affected by drought will more than triple to 32% a year, the report said. It also predicts nearly 50-50 odds of a loss of 10% or more of the corn crop across the top four producing countries during the 2040s.

Major crops from wheat to soy and rice “are likely to see big yield declines” due to drought, and shorter growing periods, Quiggin said. Severe climate impacts will be “locked in” by 2040 if countries do not reduce emissions, according to the report.

yahoo

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/LpukwJna3Ou75fmBo0TeoQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTk2MDtoPTY3MDtjZj13ZWJw/https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/2hvwMrgbQ53y.pMqrojaGA--~B/aD05MDQ7dz0xMjk2O2FwcGlkPXl0YWNoeW9u/https://media.zenfs.com/en/bloomberg_markets_842/6da80bb250cca40deb4931ca40c66cbf
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2021 05:14 am
UNESCO raises alarm on collapse of biodiversity

Quote:
The UN Education, Scientific and Culture Organisation (UNESCO) has raised alarm at unprecedented speed which biodiversity is collapsing globally.

Ms Audrey Azoulay, the Director-General of UNESCO expressed this concern at the UNESCO 33rd session of the International Coordinating Council of the Man and the Biosphere (MAB-ICC) Programme in Abuja.

Biodiversity refers to the variety of life on Earth at all its levels, from genes to ecosystems, and can encompass the evolutionary, ecological, and cultural processes that sustain

The director-general said that with the impending collapse, not only was human survival at risk, but also the beauty and the diversity of the world.

She said that the collapse was from the treetops to the ocean depths and from vertebrates to invertebrates, adding that no species was spared.

“This is the spirit driving UNESCO’s Man and the Biosphere Programme. It is what makes it so pioneering and so valuable.

“We all have to stand on the earth itself and go with her at her pace. With this impending collapse, not only is human survival at risk, but also the beauty, the diversity of the world.

“But this collapse is not inevitable: there is still time to make peace with the planet,” she said.

According to her, there is the conviction that we can re-forge our relationship with nature, that we can reconcile development and environmental protection.

“We must harness the power of education to rebuild our relationship with nature. UNESCO is fully mobilised to ensure that the environment becomes a key curriculum component by 2025.

“This is in line with the commitment made by the 80th governments we gathered at the Berlin conference last May.

UNESCO, a custodian of knowledge and know-how concerning biodiversity, has been developing concrete solutions to environmental challenges for over 50 years through the MAB programme and its network of protected sites, covering nearly six per cent of the planet.

With 714 biosphere reserves in 129 countries, including transboundary sites, UNESCO seeks to reconcile humans and nature and demonstrate that it is possible to use biodiversity sustainably while fostering its conservation.

The Minister of State for Environment, Chief Sharon Ikeazor, said that the world was facing planetary crises of climate change and biodiversity loss.

According to her, this global loss of biodiversity is threatening the security of the world’s food supplies and the livelihoods of millions of people including indigenous people and local communities, especially in the African region.

“The good news is that it is not too late to reverse the current trends if conservation efforts are scaled up and protected areas are expanded.

“This is the first time that MAB-ICC is being held on the African continent since its inception and I am proud that Nigeria has taken the lead by hosting this event today,’’ she said.

Also, the UN Resident Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr Edward Kallon, called on all relevant organisations both global and national to rise up and take responsibility to restore human nature for a healthy environment.

Kallon said that the UN system was implementing a number of activities geared towards protecting the ecosystem and biodiversity of Nigeria, as well as addressing the consequences orchestrated by COVID-19 and climate change amongst others.

“The activities include, reducing the incidence of out of school children to help Nigeria build its human capital.

“Also, engaging youths for long-lasting peacebuilding efforts, and to create solutions for COVID-19’s worst impacts,’’ he said.

Kallon commended the effort of UNESCOin establishing the Man and the Biosphere Programme, which connected all government of its member states.

vanguard
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2021 10:01 am
Not a single G20 country is in line with the Paris Agreement on climate, analysis shows
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2021 11:21 am
@hightor,
From the above mentioned analysis @ Climate Tracker Action
Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/ZCiRjz1.jpg

In June, Switzerland’s strategy to abide by the Paris Agreement on Climate Change has hit a roadblock with a narrow majority of voters rejecting a law to curb greenhouse gases.

In general, it is also the case elsewhere here in Europe that the majority is actually vehemently in favour of climate protection - only not personally when it comes to giving up habits.

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2021 03:43 am
(full study behind paywall)

Limited effects of tree planting on forest canopy cover and rural livelihoods in Northern India

Quote:
Abstract

Many countries have adopted large-scale tree planting programmes as a climate mitigation strategy and to support local livelihoods. We evaluate a series of large-scale tree planting programmes using data collected from historical Landsat imagery in the state of Himachal Pradesh in Northern India. Using this panel dataset, we use an event study design to estimate the socioeconomic and biophysical impacts over decades of these programmes. We find that tree plantings have not, on average, increased the proportion of forest canopy cover and have modestly shifted forest composition away from the broadleaf varieties valued by local people. Further cross-sectional analysis, from a household livelihood survey, shows that tree planting supports little direct use by local people. We conclude that decades of expensive tree planting programmes in this region have not proved effective. This result suggests that large-scale tree planting may sometimes fail to achieve its climate mitigation and livelihood goals.

nature
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 04:44 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Weve seen a good increase in bluebirds since theyve lernd how to catch and eat spotted lanternfly adult and instars.
I wanted to plant about 10 acres of sweet cherries and /or hops before the lantern fly became such a Pest.

Quote:
Die, Beautiful Spotted Lanternfly, Die

https://iili.io/R6drjn.jpg https://iili.io/R6diGf.jpg
... the lanternfly is a problem for many reasons, but mostly because it zealously feeds on the sap of more than
70 plant species, leaving them susceptible to disease and destruction from other natural antagonists, threatening
to set back the fight against climate change.

In Pennsylvania, the issue is taken so seriously that the state issued a Spotted Lanternfly Order of Quarantine and
Treatment, which imposes fines and even potential criminal penalties on anyone who intentionally moves the bug,
at any stage of its life, from one sort of location to another via “recreational vehicles, tractors, mowers, grills”
as well as “tarps, mobile homes, tile, stone, deck boards” or “fire pits.”
(nyt)
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 05:28 am
Time's Up

It's the End of World, and We Know It.

Quote:
Picture six friends chatting about the environment.

"There's no such thing as global warming," the first says. "Climate change is fake news."

"No, the planet is warming," says another, "but in a gradual, natural cycle that's repeated itself throughout Earth's history. Higher temperatures may even benefit some places."

"What we're experiencing is not natural," counters a third. "It's caused by human activity, specifically the burning of fossil fuels. But luckily, we've got time to get it under control."

"On the contrary," the fourth person suggests, "climate change is entering a critical stage. We need to keep lobbying Congress because if we don't get emissions under control within the next couple of decades, we may experience big problems."

"Sorry, but Congress—or any other political entity—isn't doing anything close to what could make a difference in time," the fifth says. "There will be huge consequences in most parts of the world, but hopefully our species will soon wake up and take drastic steps to avert total environmental and societal collapse. We must end our reliance on fossil fuels and pursue new technologies for removing carbon from the air."

The sixth friend lets out a heavy sigh, then speaks. "I hate to be the bearer of bad news," he says, "but we've simply gone too far down the hole. Rapid conversion to a renewably fueled society and carbon capture are technologically and logistically impossible for several reasons. Even if we were to immediately stop using fossil fuels today—which we won't—there is already too much heat-trapping greenhouse gas in the atmosphere to stop the rise in global temperatures. A cascade of tipping points—many already in the rear-view mirror—will almost certainly make the Earth's climate inhospitable for humans and most mammals. The best, long-shot case would be if small pockets of habitability can continue to sustain human existence."

That hypothetical conversation demonstrates what I consider to be the six major schools of thought on climate change. And I should know—over the past 30 years, I've personally enrolled in five of those schools. But as updated information has poured in and times have changed, however, so has my awareness of the threat humanity faces.

The End is Near

Recent environmental news reports have made the first two schools of thought simply impossible to defend. Even the third—the idea that we have lots of time to correct the problem—has seen its credibility plummet in light of increasing record-setting extreme temperatures worldwide, severe and destructive storms, massive flooding in some areas, prolonged droughts in others, accelerating glacial and ice cap melting, sea level rise and devastating wildfires. At long last, public opinion is coming in line with what science has been warning us about for decades.

But as it is increasingly apparent that the way we've lived on this planet has tragically altered its chemistry, biology and ecology, the question then becomes how bad things will get. Is it possible that our world could become uninhabitable for humans and most other species? A growing number of scientists and laypersons who choose to be guided by facts and observable trends—as opposed to forming their opinions around hopes and wishes—say such a scenario is very likely, if not inevitable.

The end of the world as we know it has been debated, discussed and predicted by intellectuals, mystics and prophets for millennia. What will happen to our planet and its inhabitants has also been considered by science, in fiction writing and cinema, and at around-the-campfire discussions since time immemorial. Potential catalysts bringing about the end have included plagues, asteroids, super-volcanoes, alien invasions, nuclear war, an energy burst from a quasar, a deity declaring "time's up" on the human drama or the death of our sun in a few billion years. By comparison, catastrophic, abrupt climate change is the relatively new kid on the block.

Mainstream science is gradually narrowing in on the final two scenarios described by the six friends as possibilities. The United Nation's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) released a chilling report in August that's far less hopeful than the previous five assessments published by the IPCC since 1990.

The organization has been criticized for being overly optimistic. Its latest report, however, contains dire warnings of imminent, catastrophic and irreversible climate impacts given the quantity of greenhouse gasses (CO2, methane and others mostly released by industrial activities) that are already in the atmosphere and oceans and that continue to be released relatively unabated.

Three terms are useful in discussions about abrupt climate change. The first is "overshoot," when a society surpasses in population and consumption the capacity of its environment to sustainably support it. The second is "tipping point," which is when a condition reaches a critical stage and can no longer be stopped. The third is "feedback loop," which is when a condition deepens as a result of itself. (One example is how Arctic ice shrinks each year, allowing more sunlight to penetrate ocean water instead of reflecting back into space, which heats the oceans and contributes to further ice melt.)

Humans began leaving a carbon footprint about 10,000 years ago with the dawn of agriculture. Things went into overdrive three centuries ago when societies started mining large quantities of carbon that had been deposited over hundreds of millions of years as decaying plant and animal life sank to the bottoms of oceans, seas and swamps, becoming oil, coal and natural gas.

Our ancestors started burning these fossil fuels to power their lives, and carbon dioxide was released as its waste. Since the Industrial Revolution in the 18th century, we've spewed more than a half-trillion tons of CO2 into the air. By weight, that amount of carbon dioxide would roughly equal two Mount Everests.

An Invisible Killer

Unfortunately, carbon dioxide appears "clean." Despite coming from mostly pitch-black sources, CO2 is invisible, odorless and toxic to humans only in high concentrations. Unlike soot and other emissions that exit smokestacks and tailpipes—and which humanity has done a better job capturing—excess CO2 gave the appearance of being relatively harmless until quite recently. Even though CO2 was identified as a heat-trapping atmospheric gas in 1859 by Irish physicist John Tyndall, the cheap, concentrated energy that burning fossil fuels provides has been too tempting and too addictive to spark the motivation to adequately address its downsides.

Carbon dioxide's cousin, methane or CH4, is initially 84 times more potent as a heat-holding greenhouse gas, and billions of tons of it lie just below the Earth's surface in the frozen northern tundra and seabed. As temperatures climb, this natural gas is being released in ever-increasing amounts to the point that there is now more than twice as much in the atmosphere as there was in pre-industrial times. Some scholars predict that an upcoming, rapid release of methane will be the trigger for a large and catastrophic spike in global temperatures.

We've created an entire society and economy based on fossil-fuel use and, so far, our species has shown little resolve to significantly change its ways, due in large part to centuries of self-centered thinking and decades of misinformation disseminated by fossil-fuel companies and the government officials who back them. Many individuals in industrialized societies simply resist change.

"I can't give up my [big house/car/RV/boat/motorized toys/vacations/cruises or even a clothes dryer]," the First World opines, while at the same time, less-wealthy societies aspire to our profligate lifestyle. Our lack of will to abandon biosphere-killing ways is why a growing number of experts see humanity as simply too addicted to have ever averted disaster.

There's also a world population that has swelled from 2.5 billion when I was born in 1950 to nearly 8 billion today. The global population could reach 10 billion, but some researchers have calculated that even if humans were doing everything right in terms of living simply and using alternative and renewable energy, the planet could support, at most, about 2 billion of us in perpetuity.

In This Together

I'm aware this may be the biggest downer that City Weekly readers have ever encountered in these pages. Many will reject it as inaccurate and overly pessimistic, and that's a perfectly normal human response. Denial is the first of psychiatrist Elizabeth Kubler-Ross's classic five stages of grief, and some never move beyond denial even when contemplating their own death—let alone that of all of humankind within a relatively short time frame.

As I've passed backward and forward through Kubler-Ross's five stages while contemplating what all this means for me, my partner, children, grandchildren and recently-arrived first great grandchild, I've mostly carried the burden alone without asking others to help shoulder it. Fortunately, resources and support groups exist to help people first get their minds around these horrific possibilities and then turn anxiety and fear about them into courage and resolve to live nobly and well in whatever time we have left.

I reached out to four thought leaders on abrupt climate change. As you will see, these scholars differ in their views, but each wishes they were wrong about what they see coming. So do I.

The following responses were provided individually via email, but are presented in the form of a panel discussion.

When did you realize climate change would be inevitably catastrophic?
Guy McPherson (an internationally recognized speaker and award-winning scientist who specializes in abrupt climate change): In 2002, it seemed we had already triggered self-reinforcing feedback loops, any one of which make climate change irreversible. As a typically conservative academic, I kept my conclusion to myself. I finally went fully public with an essay I posted on my blog in June of 2012.

Max Wilbert (an organizer, wilderness guide and author of "Bright Green Lies: How the Environmental Movement Lost Its Way and What We Can Do About It"): In 2010, I traveled to the Russian Arctic to document a National Science Foundation climate science expedition. In Siberia, we walked on thawing permafrost and saw "drunken forests," which look like a game of pick-up-sticks as the soil melts underneath the trees. That year was the hottest year on record in Russia at the time.

Michael Dowd (a bestselling eco-theologian, TEDx speaker and environmental advocate): It was in 2012 after watching David Roberts' TEDx talk, "Climate Change Is Simple (Remix)"

When will the climate disaster become so intense nobody will deny it?
McPherson: Denying reality will continue until the last person draws his or her last breath. COVID-19 serves as a recent example.

Wilbert: It's already that way. If you live in a small island nation, or in New York, or along the Gulf Coast, or in the wildfire-ravaged West, climate crisis is not something in the future.

Dowd: Most will go to their grave in one form of denial or another.

Erik Michaels (a researcher of ecological overshoot, its symptoms and the human denial of them): Those who deny it now will most likely continue denying it. Facts don't often change people's beliefs, unfortunately.

Will civilizational collapse occur?

Wilbert: Every civilization that has ever existed has destroyed its own ecological foundations and then collapsed. Collapse is not an event, it's a process. We're already in the early stages of collapse. Aquifers are shrinking, increasing disease and civil conflict, droughts and extreme weather. It's here.

And in places like Syria, or Pakistan, or Columbia, collapse is already well underway. It's well underway here in the United States, too. Just look at the homeless encampments in your city. The consumerist "prosperity" of the post-war 1950s is gone and is never coming back.

Michaels: Civilizational collapse is already happening and deepening—it's a very slow process, however, and it really affects the most complex societies first.

Will humans survive?
McPherson: No life on Earth will survive abrupt, irreversible climate change.

Wilbert: Humans will eventually go extinct, but who knows when? With nearly 8 billion of us on the planet, we're nowhere close to extinction now. I'm more concerned about the 100-200 other species that are being driven extinct every day. If we can't halt that trend, the future for humanity is bleak.

Dowd: The stability of the biosphere has been in decline for centuries and in unstoppable, out-of-control mode for decades. This "Great Acceleration"—just Google it—of biospheric collapse is an easily verifiable fact. The scientific evidence is overwhelming, but the vast majority of people will deny this, especially those still benefiting from the existing order, those understandably concerned about the effects of collapse, and those who fear that "accepting reality" means "giving up." And, yes, that means most of us.

Michaels: A quote from Carl Sagan: "Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception." So, yes, we will go extinct—the only question is when, not if. I find it hard to believe that humans will still populate the planet by 2100. If there are still groups alive at that point, the likelihood that they will be functionally extinct is very high. Most likely, six or seven people out of every eight will die over the next two decades as energy and resource decline deepens.

As conditions deteriorate and social institutions breakdown, will individuals and groups be able to offer assistance to others?
Wilbert: We've already seen governments increasingly unable to provide meaningful aid in disasters, whether they be economic or natural. The future—if there is going to be one—is local.

Dowd: There will always be compassionate and generous people, especially in super hard times. Nevertheless, I think half or more of the human population—3 to 5 billion—will likely starve within 16 months of the first multi-bread-basket failure, most likely this decade.

Michaels: One will see all ranges of social responses unfolding as time moves forward. People will do good things to help and to provide assistance where they can and people will do nasty, selfish and brutish things as well as everything in between. Fewer people will have the resources and abilities to help as time moves forward and resiliency is removed from location after location.

As collapse deepens and unfolds, fewer people will be able to help as their own conditions deteriorate. There will also be those who decide to be competitive and take whatever they can. So, there will be moments of beauty and moments of depravity.

Will American climate refugees from flooded coasts or drought-plagued areas be welcomed elsewhere?
Michaels: Many of us suffer greatly from a sense of privilege and what the Indigenous Americans call "wetiko," a form of colonialism. Because everyone alive today grew up with the culture of always having "more," very few people will know how to handle a life of constantly having less.

Do some religious millennialists see catastrophic climate change as fulfillment of the prophesied, fiery end of the world and even welcome it?
Dowd: Yes, of course! Fundamentalist and evangelical Christians are likely to interpret all this as God's will, not climate change.

Michaels: I have met individuals who talked about these claims. They are troubled by their beliefs and denial of reality. The bottom line is that the world is not really ending. A new world will unfold and new species will fill niches once held by species going extinct.

Between now and the end, what's the best way to live?
McPherson: Treat family, friends, and others with whom you interact frequently as you would treat your beloved, dying grandmother. Would you lie to your grandmother as she is dying? Would you disrespect her?

Once you've mastered this way of treating your friends and family, extend the relevant behaviors to everyone. Work in your community to overcome the ills associated with every civilization, including racism, misogyny and monetary disparity. And work to safely decommission all nuclear facilities. Failure to do so likely spells the loss of all life on Earth.

Wilbert: It's not too late. Yes, a lot of change is already baked into the climate and ecological system. A lot of bad things are going to happen. But the Earth is incredibly resilient, and so are human beings. If you're in love with your family, your partner, your kids, how can you give up?

When you see a wild river, or an old-growth forest, or an alpine meadow, or a herd of elk, how could you not want to protect the future? Resisting the destruction of the planet is the most normal and natural thing we could do.

Dowd: Live fully, trustingly, courageously, compassionately and with deep and profound gratitude for the gift of being alive and conscious and in love with life.

Michaels: Live now. It sounds so simple but can be quite difficult for many people because of our cultural programming and indoctrination.

https://media2.fdncms.com/saltlake/imager/u/blog/17298722/untitled-1.png?cb=1631819684

cityweekly
maxdancona

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 06:47 am
@hightor,
http://www.searchamelia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/End-is-near.jpg
hightor

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 08:12 am
@maxdancona,
Yeah, I figured you'd like that article. As I've said, you ought to see some of the ones I don't post!
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 01:08 pm
United Nations Warns of ‘Catastrophic Pathway’ With Current Climate Pledges

Quote:
(...)

Perhaps most starkly, the report displayed the large gap between what the scientific consensus urges world leaders to do and what they have been willing to do so far. Emissions of planet-warming gases are poised to grow by 16 percent during this decade compared with 2010 levels even though the latest scientific research indicates that they need to decrease by at least a quarter by 2030 to avert the worst impacts of global warming.

“Governments are letting vested interests call the climate shots, rather than serving the global community,” Jennifer Morgan, executive director of Greenpeace International, said in a statement.

(...)

nyt

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2021 04:48 am
The world could run out of food two decades earlier than thought

Quote:
By 2027 the world could be facing a 214 trillion calorie deficit, says Sara Menker, founder and chief executive of Gro Intelligence, an agricultural data technology company. In other words, in just a decade, we won’t have enough food to feed the planet.

We’ve long known that we might reach a point where we have more people than the food to sustain them. By 2050, the world’s population is expected to reach 9.1 billion, and the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) predicts that at that point, the world would need to produce 70% more food than today to feed all those people. That 2050 deadline is the one usually cited by scientists and organizations like FAO and Oxfam as the year the world will run out of food.

But the problem with this, and most, assessments of food insecurity, Menker says, is that it uses mass and weight, and not nutritional value. “Why do we talk of food in terms of weight?” Menker asked recently at the second TEDGlobal event in Arusha, Tanzania. “Because it’s easy. But what we care about in food is nutritional value. Not all foods are created equal even if they weigh the same.”

She argues that if you look at the nutritional value of current food production instead, global food security is already more tenuous than we think. Further, population and economic growth in China, India, and African countries will exacerbate this trend, as they continue to grow as net importers of food. The year 2023, Menker says, is the crossover point for population growth in these three areas.

By 2023, the population in China, India, and Africa will combine to make up over half the world’s population. Africa already has to import food, and by 2023, India, which currently doesn’t import food, will have to start. In China, population growth will eventually level off, but overall calorie intake in the country will continue to increase through the early 2020s, Menker says. In recent years, people in China have begun to add more and more meat—and especially red meat—a very high-calorie food to their diets. Menker predicts that more and more people in China will demand this sort of high-calorie diet.

By 2023, even if all the surplus produce from countries in Europe, North and South America was solely exported to China, India, and Africa, it still would not be enough, says Menker. Four years later, Menker predicts, there will be a 214 trillion calorie shortage. Menker compares it to the calories provided by 379 billion Big Mac hamburgers—more than McDonald’s has produced in its entire existence.

Menker, a former commodities trader, and a 2015 Quartz Africa Innovator, started Gro Intelligence to provide individuals, governments, and businesses insights into agriculture, tracking data from weather patterns to pricing dynamics. She has some solutions to avert the oncoming crisis: reform the agricultural industries in Africa and India by changing how farmers farm, how people buy and consume food, decrease food waste, improve infrastructure, and increase farm yields exponentially. But she also emphasized the importance of data to inform and influence this decision-making process.

“For the first time ever, the most critical tool[s] for success in the industry—data and knowledge—[are] becoming cheaper by the day. And very soon, it won’t matter how much money you own, to make optimal decisions and maximize probability of success in reaching your intended goal,” Menker said. “We have the solution. We just need to act on it.”

quartz
maxdancona

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2021 08:31 am
@hightor,
This article is simply a lie. There is no credible organization saying we are ar risk of running out of food; not in 2027, not on 2050, not in any foreseeable future.

Most of your outrage porn has some basis in fact. This one doesn't.