If Hitler had been smart, would Germany have won?

mipeni

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 03:27 pm
Setanta wrote:
As for Goering, i would suggest to you once again that his talent for telling people what they wanted to hear is the most likely reason for him to have supported a strategic bombing policy. This we can never know, and i do not for a moment deny that Georing publicly supported bomber programs--i just suspect, especially in light of his conversations privately with the officers of his fighter division, that either he was simply telling Hitler what he wanted to hear, or telling those officers what they wanted to hear--or both.

Now I agree with you about Stalingrad. Pure misunderstanding. But as I said in my previous post, I have gotten the picture from some of the factual books that I have read that Hitler didn´t desire strategic squadrons whereas I have read that Goering was somewhat possessed with them. Hitler wanted the Luftwaffe to mostly just support his Wehrmacht so he wanted tactical and close air support planes such as JU-87 to help his blitzkrieg doctorine. But as you said, we can never know. Goering and Hitler were the only ones to know for sure.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 04:01 pm
If your thesis about Hitler is true, then he was even more militarily clueless than i have suggested. The Junkers aircraft were extremely vulnerable. The only way for them to have been reliably effective would have been to have provided them fighter cover--they couldn't handle modern fighter aircraft by 1939. I guess i'll have to revised my standard statement simply to note that he disparaged and refused to support the fighter arm of the Luftwaffe, against all reason.
0 Replies

mipeni

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 04:53 pm
Setanta wrote:
If your thesis about Hitler is true, then he was even more militarily clueless than i have suggested. The Junkers aircraft were extremely vulnerable. The only way for them to have been reliably effective would have been to have provided them fighter cover--they couldn't handle modern fighter aircraft by 1939. I guess i'll have to revised my standard statement simply to note that he disparaged and refused to support the fighter arm of the Luftwaffe, against all reason.

Yes. Being a dive bomber JU-87 was an easy target for anti-aircraft fire. They were, however, extremly accurate when attacking, for instance, tanks. Fliegergruppe Kuhlmey played an important part in defending the Isthmus in Finland against Soviet Union´s summeroffensive in 1944 destroying high numbers of Soviet tanks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 04:59 pm
They were vulnerable to fighters, in particular. Kesselring tried to use the Junkers to take out the radar installations in England at the start of "the battle of Britain," but the RAF dispatched them in short order. German losses were very heavy, and the English had their radar stations up and running within days.
0 Replies

torro

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 11:20 pm
Setanta wrote:

This smacks a great deal of "Battle of Britain" heroic mythololgy. The Royal Navy was a rather significant something "disallowing" an invasion of England. The use of air power, however, might have covered both airborne and seaborne landings--Adolf Galland proved this when as Luftwaffe fighter commander, he managed the protection of Scharnhorst, Gniesenau and Prinz Eugen as they ran the Channel in broad daylight. Who was bombing whom and for what reasons were militarily irrelevant to the fact that absolutely no contingency planning had been finalized for covering an invasion. As Kurt Student's falschirmjaeger proved on Crete, German airborne troops were prepared to make huge sacrifices to take and hold an airhead--but doing so would have required Hitler and Jodl to actually have thoroughly contemplated the ramifications of a possible invasion. To cover the invasion boats from the air required fighters, not bombers, and Hitler was obsessed with bombers and contemptuous of fighter aircraft. He was a devoted and rather clueless follower of Doheny's fantasies about crushing an opponent from the air, breaking the will of the people to fight. Both the heroic couple in Buckingham Palace, and the tough Eastenders of London demonstrated that in fact the opposite is likely to occur, hardening the resolve of the defenders. Hitler ought to have learned this lesson from the bombing of Warsaw, but the fool wasn't out to learn, he thought he knew all about military operations from his extensive service as a messenger boy in the First War.

Galland describes the operation to run the German battlecruisers through the Channel under fighter cover in his war memoir, The First and the Last. For an invasion of England to have worked, the German Navy would have had to go in harm's way with a will. German destroyers proved they were willing to make such a sacrifice in the operaitons off Narvik in 1940. Bismark dispatched Hood so quickly, that it is a reasonable proposition to suggest that the German Navy could have fought the Royal Navy to a standstill, which was all that would have been required.

The RAF were never on the ropes in the manner the Battle of Britain mythology would have us believe. Fighter squadrons in the Midlands, the North, Scotland and Northern Ireland were intact and ready for service. In the Home Counties and Kent and Sussex, the aircraft factories of Hawker and Supermarine were already moving equipment and relocating operations when the Battle of Britain began, assuring the continued manufacture of Hurricanes and Spitfires. The RAF did not even risk that much of its personnel in the campaign--about forty percent of their pilots were Polish (and 40% of aircrew casualties were Polish, as well), and another ten percent were Belgian, French, Dutch and Norwegian, along with Dominion volunteers (Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa). It helps the heroic image to suggest that the RAF were near destruction in September, 1940, but it is not a true picture. Neither the nightly area bombing by the Germans, nor the same by the English over German cities, were significantly effective in destroying either the means or the will of their respective enemies to prosecute the war.

Actually if Hitler hadn't switched to bombing cities in retaliation to a bombing of a German city, he would have annihilated the RAF, thus he could have conquered Britain much easier. A plan would have been designed to invade England very fast as the most fortified Fort in the world at Holland was captured by paratroopers in less than a day. I don't know how you believe fighters will do that, but I can certainly see bombers blowing up air bases with bombs. Yes, destroying air bases reduces the air force as one might expect, and if Hitler had only done that he would have been successful. But he wasn't a very patient man, now was he. If Hitler had conquered Britain then the only possible landing stage for the US would have been Iceland, which is very far away, so the war would have took a very different turn.

Quote:

Your first contention is complete chimera. That the English and French military establishments were starved is not to be wondered at, both nations had been obliged to release as many men as possible in 1919, to assuage public opinion. In both nations, politicians pandered to public sentiment with talk of disarming from 1918 onward. A great many people in Europe longed for such a circumstance from the end of the First War. The Germans differed because they had bought--hook, line and sinker--the Ludendorf betrayal myth, which contended that the German Army had not been defeated in the field, but had been sold out by politicians and bureaucrats.

That's not true. Germany knew that it was surrounded by enemies, so they knew that if they were to win the war they would have to win it fast. This attempt happened twice, at the Battle of Marne in both 1914 and 1918. Germany was a few miles away from Paris and had it gotten there, they would have won the war. But I don't know why you're bringing this up, it's WWI.

Quote:

Part of Hilter's appeal, and a core necessity of his bellicose rhetoric was to be seen as a militarist. When the Allies were obliged to send so many men home in 1919, they unwisely relied upon the Freikorps to "keep the peace" in the Baltic region, and this only convinced the German people all the more that their Army had been invincible, but had been sold out. Hitler rolled into the Rhineland on the heels of the departing French as though he had driven them out; then he effected the aunchluss with Austria, and promised to create a Greater Germany. He was politically committed to this program--neither sound military policy nor intricate strategems ever played a part in his thinking.

The German People knew their armies weren't invincible, and the only reason Hitler put troops back in the Rhineland was to intimidate Britain and France, because he wanted them to attack.

Quote:

Which leads us to your second point. The "Sudeten" Germans had never been part of Germany, and had always been residents of Bohemia. There had been some noise about uniting them with Germany in Paris in 1919, but it was quickly brushed aside, and the German-speaking population of Czechoslovakia quickly came to appreciate living in a relative prosperous and stable country as they looked at the chaos of Germany in the 1920's. The very term "Sudentenland" is a politically manufactured term which only came into being at the end of the First War.

Again this was Hitler's attempt to throw Europe at war again, something which neither Britain nor France wanted to do after the destruction of WWI.

Quote:

That Stalin considered war with Germany inevitable is not to be doubted. That he had "been preparing" for such a war is hardly supported by the evidence, however. He was in 1939 fighting both the Finns and the Japanese, and the Red Army was in a shambles at the command level due to the purges. I am quite well aware of the origins of Josef Dugashvilli.

Unfortunately for that theory, Stalin was preparing even before the Non-Aggression Pact was signed, even though to no avail. It would not make any sense for someone who is expected to invade you for you not to prepare. That's like saying you're exposing yourself with the knowledge that you will be struck.

Quote:

Your remarks suggest that the American Navy was destroyed at Pearl Harbor and had to be rebuilt. Given that we are discussing Hitler, who had no clue about naval operations, and did his best to avoid the subject, your remark is rather a non sequitur. It is also as naive as the contention the the RAF faced destruction in the Battle of Britain. The great tragedy of Pearl Harbor was the loss of life. The old battleships which were attacked were quickly replaced because they were 20 to 30 years old, and new construction had already begun to replace them. The Japanese missed the American carriers altogether, and that was their eventual downfall. In fact, so much naval shipping had been diverted to the Atlantic by December, 1941, that Kimmel was constantly complaining to King that his best assets were being taken from him, and that he was increasingly unprepared to face the Japanese. Nevertheless, he immediately began planning for a response after the Japanese attack, but none of his plans were carried forward when he was relieved. Roosevelt and King still had their eyes on Europe, even after the Pearl Harbor attack.

Thank you for the history lesson.

Quote:

As i have written elsewhere in these fora, the Japanese attack on Hawaii deserves to be understood as one of the greatest military coups in naval history. They put together and executed one of the finest operations in the history of naval warfare. But Yamamoto, who was responsible for the attack, had no illusions. He simply wished to eliminate the American threat to the flank of the Imperial Navy's Southern Operation, and he had no illusions that the effect would only be temporary. His contemporaries did not understand this, and apparently, neither do you.

If you had actually read some history instead of looking up facts, you would know that whenever a Japan attacks a country it sneaks attacks it as it did in the Russo-Japanese war when it was becoming an Imperialistic nation. Apparently you do not understand this so you make up statements like Japan was just messing around with the US at Pearl Harbor.

Quote:

Once again, you have made a completely false statement, and apparently a statement from authority, an authority no better than that you have written it. Anyone who doubts that the Japanese and the Russians concluded an armistice in 1939 is free to look it up, in a library or online, whereupon they will discover the truth of my contention. The Germans arrived before Moscow in October, 1941. The battle for Stalingrad did not begin until September, 1942. The two events are unrelated, and took place more than a thousand miles apart. I'm sure Von Paulus would have liked to have had 300,000 troops in his Sixth Army, but at full strength (which the army was not), he would have barely had half that number. Did you make up the part about the saavy spy in Japan, or did you read that online somewhere? Perhaps in a novel?

Hmm an armistice doesn't pop anywhere, perhaps you should enlighten me on some of the sources you copy paste your info from so maybe I can see what bs you read. In fact the spy's name is Richard Sorge (1895-1944) And you're free to look him up in the Internet. He was a German journalist who spied for Russia. While working for a newspaper in Japan, he learned that Japan planned to attack Asia in 1941, rather than Russia. This was vital information to Russia, leaving her troops free to fight Germany.
Maybe you should actually read what happened instead of saying Russia had armistices with Japan in WWII. Japan had been disappointed by not being able to attack Russia simultaneously, thus it turned its attention at Asia in 1941 as reported by a spy. I don't know which novel you read but by 1943 Japan was occupied with the US. In fact you should stop copy+pasting facts from the net and actually focus on what's being discussed, because if you haven't noticed no one actually responds to what you have to say as most of the time it's being disconnect with the subject. If you actually read some history from a book, you would know that the German 6th army, supposedly the best was in fact at about 600,000, half of which were captured and the other dead. If you actually bothered to review what you read you might find out that that army was encircled by Russian troops.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 12:07 am
Sure, Bubba, whatever you say . . .
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 01:58 am
torro the little figure by the word posts refers to the number of posts from each participant

by Setanta is, at the time of writing, 21604

your figure stands at 1

I normally welcome new members and look forward to further input, but in your case 1 is sufficient.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:45 am
torro wrote:
Actually if Hitler hadn't switched to bombing cities in retaliation to a bombing of a German city, he would have annihilated the RAF, thus he could have conquered Britain much easier. A plan would have been designed to invade England very fast as the most fortified Fort in the world at Holland was captured by paratroopers in less than a day. I don't know how you believe fighters will do that, but I can certainly see bombers blowing up air bases with bombs. Yes, destroying air bases reduces the air force as one might expect, and if Hitler had only done that he would have been successful. But he wasn't a very patient man, now was he. If Hitler had conquered Britain then the only possible landing stage for the US would have been Iceland, which is very far away, so the war would have took a very different turn.

I have read one or two works on this subject, being half-Dutch and having spent half my life in Holland and I contest your statement. Holand was hardly the most heavily fortified fortress in the world, and most of the forts that did exist were obsolete already in WWI. The strength of the fortress Holland was in its water defences (It was called "the water line") and its weak points were the bridges that would make entry into Holland easy for ground troops.

The success of the paratroopers and airborne infantry in breaching the water line lay in the element of surprise which allowed them to capture three key bridges. The Dutch forces were unable to dislodge them in time before the first German tanks rolled into Holland (which took four days, not one).
The rest of the airborne operation in Holland, which featured the capture of three airfields around the Hague and subsequently the arrest of the Queen and the government of the Netherlands, was a dismal failure. None of the airfields was successfully taken and the airborne troops suffered heavy losses in men and material (3000 of them were shipped as POWs to England just before the Dutch capitulated). The key losses were those of transport aircraft that had been downed literally in the hundreds by the Dutch airforce and by AA fire, a loss that could not be replaced in time for an airborne assault on England in the summer of 1940.

In other words paratroopers never captured the fortress Holand, they only opened the door. Their attempt at knocking out the Dutch leadership failed entirely.

Considering thus that the main ground attack performed by the airborne troops was a failure and that there were no bridges across the English Channel for them to take by surprise, nor enough transport aircraft to ferry them across, their ability to capture and hold a brigdehead on the British coast long enough for their ground forces to arrive, was highly doubtful.

Finally, the bombing of airbases is only effective when you can destroy enemy aircraft on the ground (as happened during the surprise attack on Holland). If the enemy is prepared (and can se you coming with radar) the chance of that succeeding is very slim. Trying to destroy the airfields themselves is a pointless waste of resources, because they can be quite easily and quickly repaired (especially the grass fields in the UK). As an example you could look up the airbase of Valetta on Malta that continued to operate under one of the heaviest German bombing campaigns of the war.

(Or were you perhaps mistaken with the modern fortress of Eben Emael in Belgium?)
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 09:10 am
WWII
It's interesting to know what the alliances had been leading up to WWII.

1. Germany, France, and England against the Soviet Union.
2. Germany against France, England and the Soviet Union.
3. Germany and the Soviet Union against France and
England.

Add to this, the belief of the English military, that Poland would put up a strong fight against any move by Germany. Their reasoning? The Polish Army had a considerable percentage of aristocrats who would provide the leadership needed to do the job.

Add, the belief of Hitler (Mein Kampf) that Slavs were sub-human
and were a drag on the world. Slavs should only be taught to read traffic signs so as not to be killed by vehicles. That way they could better fulfill their role as beasts of burden.
When Hitler invaded Russia, the German Army had a scorched earth policy: kill everyone in the villages and towns.

At one point, the Germans were faced with what to do with a thousand Russian prisoners. They put them in a field, surrounded them with barbed wire, and no food, no water, no shelter. Just a couple guards should anyone try to escape.

These practices lead a German general (Kolbe ?) to question the practice. He said it was insuring that the Russians would fight to the last person.

My point is that all the discussion about generals and Hitler's judgments are good. But I also think that the will of the people i.e. the Germans in the early thirties, watching god (Hitler) descend from a tri-plane in the documentary "Triumph of the Will" provided the where with all.

And, add the fact that of the six million Jews killed, most were killed in a frenzy of killing during the last year of the war. The killings were stepped up at at a time when Germany was depleated of trains, manpower, fuel, supplies.
This must have played into how the war was conducted by Germany.
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 10:24 am
The Kursk
Up to 1943 Hitler had a very good chance of winning the war. After the disasterous defeat at Stalingrad, the German Army wasn't defeated nor beaten soundly. It may have lost the entire Southern Russian Plains, even Kharkov BUT under the 'miracle' of General von Manstein it had counterattacked and recaptured Kharkov and stablised it's fronts on the Don.

The greatest blunder besides Stalingrad on Hitler's part has to be the calling off the Kursk offensive after the Battle of Prokhorvka, the greatest tank battle ever fought. The myth here is that the Russians destroyed the vast majority of the German S.S. Panzers and ended their offensive. So much so that Hitler called off the offensive.

Nearly every book and article will praise the brave Soviet Armour finally beating the Panzers. The Germans according to Soviet estimates had 700 tanks and the Russians about 1000. The T-34's heroically charged the field and destroyed over 400 of them and even many of the formidable Tiger tanks. The losses were so great that Hitler called off the offensive.

BUT German documents show that on the day of the battle, the 12th of July 1943, they only had 327+ operational tanks and 15 Tiger Tanks in service. After the battle the Germans recorded about 70 tanks destroyed and many damaged. 200 that were battle worthy including every one of the Tiger tanks. The Soviets two attacking tank armies were all but destroyed and had the German's pushed on, they would have pushed the Russian's back and taken Prokhorovka. From there, open road lay before them until Kursk and the possiblity of the encirclement of 5 entire Soviet Armies. The annihilation of these armies would have futher stablised the German Front and prolonged the war by many monthes if Stalin hadn't sued for peace by then.

Lastly, Hitler never utalised the manpower of the Russian prisoners. It was clear that many Russians, Ukranians and Belorussians were not very happy over the communism that they lived under. Many Russians defected at the very start of the invasion to attempt to help the Germans 'liberate' their country. There was an Army under the leadership of a Russian General who I'm sorry to report I've forgotten his name, but whom lobbied within Nazi circles to let him create and army from Russian P.O.W.s. Arm them with German weapons and let them fight their old comrades. This would have been a very staggering amount of manpower considering the vast amount of P.O.W.s Germany took in Russia.

And finally in reply to torro

Quote:
The German People knew their armies weren't invincible, and the only reason Hitler put troops back in the Rhineland was to intimidate Britain and France, because he wanted them to attack.

Not at all. The German soldiers were told to retreat in case of an attack and the German army under the treaty of Versialles was only 100,000 strong at the point. Combained with no theatening Air Force at the time and the fairly strong French Army, Hitler would have lost if Chamberlin and the French leadership essentially had more BALLS.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 11:18 am
Welcome to A2K Milf.

Your post begs the question why the Germans did not push on at Kursk. Are you saying Hitler missed a great opportunity?

I agree Chamberlain and Deladier? should have stood up to Hitler earlier, but its all with hindsight. Who in 1935/6 was saying war with Germany was inevitable and therefore the French and British should attack at a time of their choosing? And who can argue with the fact that the "peace" that appeasement of Hitler bought, at least enabled British industry to gear up for war when it finally came?
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2005 03:44 pm
Realistically Britain and France missed many oppertunies to deal with Hitler. Even up to the Invasion of Poland and later, they could have crushed Hitler before he became a threat. Well, a French invasion during the Invasion of Poland would have let France cut Germany off from the Rhur Industries and that she was more than capable of. On paper the French Army was stronger. But French Morale was very low, and Maginot Feeling took over the country.

I believe the Kursk, not Stalingrad was the main turning point of the war. It was here that the Soviets later broke through and forced the Germans into a retreat which never really ended until the Oder. 200,000 Germans at least perished in this rout!!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:30 am
"Realistically Britain and France missed many oppertunies to deal with Hitler. Even up to the Invasion of Poland and later, they could have crushed Hitler before he became a threat. "

such as?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:01 am
Re: If Hitler had been smart, would Germany have won?
Wilso wrote:
I'm hoping some of the students of history here can answer this. I certainly don't know much about the subject myself, but on war documentaries I've seen, there seemed to be what appeared even to me to be glaring blunders. Like almost having Moscow in sight, and then making a right turn (can't remember where he turned to). Did it give the Russians time to dig in? I'm sure there are other instances.

>If Hitler had been smart, would Germany have won?

Very short and simple answer to that one: Yes.

There were several very simple things Hitler could have done differently, any one of which would have changed the outcome of the war.

The simplest would have been simply not to invade Russia. The commie state would have collapsed of its own inertia within five years starting from 1940 and he could have simply picked up the pieces.

Or he could have entered the Ukraine as a liberator instead of as a lunatic bent on slaughtering the local populace. The CCCP could not have survived having the Ukraine torn off from it.

The next possibility would have been to enter the war with the 300 ocean-going Uboats which Doenitz wanted instead of trying to build battleships and take on the AngloSaxon powers in surface battles (no future in that). That would have taken England out of the war in less than a year.

Or he could have entered the war with a combination of U boats and small aircraft carriers like our own Lexington class. That would have meant carriers which allied capital ships could not reach because they'd have been behind a ring of U boats, and U boats which destroyers could not go after because they'd have been protected by messerschmidts and Focke Wolfes. England would have been out of the war in six months.

Or he could have handled the jet Messerschmidt project properly. That would have meant that allied bombers would never have been able to fly over Europe at all.

Or he could have made the Spanish an offer they couldn't refuse and taken Gibralter early on and totally denied the Med to allied ships.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:43 am
if if if whats the point? He didnt.

I blame the Vienna Acadamy of Fine Arts.

If they had accepted him he might have put his energies into producing not particularly good paintings and no one would have ever heard of him.
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 05:29 am
If France invaded Germany during each of the crises, Germany would have been defeated. The reasons why Hitler became so powerful was the lack of Balls on the British and French sides.

Yes had Hitler used the man power of the Ukranians, if he entered as a liberator, then he would have had millions of more men to fight Stalin.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 05:54 am
And if de Valera had accepted Churchill's offer of sovereignty over N Ireland in exchange for use of the naval base at Queenstown, we would have been spared the anguish that is still on going to this day.

But then de Valera thought Hitler was going to win,
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 08:15 am
Jesus man I'm Irish and that may have caused more grief than good. De Valera was entirely pro-British. He kept the Treaty Ports out of British hands to keep us neutral. He was very lax to British Servicemen that washed up on our shores and returned them to the British. Germans that washed up here were interned till the end of the war or were handed over to the British.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 08:38 am
Milf

If De Valera was "entirely pro British" what was he doing leading an insurrection against British rule in Ireland? Even if he was entirely pro British it was only his American citizenship that saved him from a British firing squad. Why if he was so pro British did he deny Britain the use of important naval bases to help in the desperate battle against German submarines?

The Irish government a the time maintained a policy of strict neutrality, keeping their fingers crossed that Hitler would win.
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 04:49 pm
Quote:
If De Valera was "entirely pro British" what was he doing leading an insurrection against British rule in Ireland? Even if he was entirely pro British it was only his American citizenship that saved him from a British firing squad.

Hell no... Yes de Valera did take part as one of the leaders of the 1916 Easter Rising. And he did escape a firing squad because of his American citizenship. Of course as any revolutionries they looked to Germany whom Britain was at war with at the time for arms and support. Unfortunately or Fortunately from way what you look at it, the Auld, an German arms ship was intercepted of the shore of Cork and was scuttled by it's captain orders to prevent the arms entering British hands. Despite the failure to secure more arms the rising began anyway and failed.
After the war, the War of Independence began led by an unoffical government with de Valera as President. This war was waged for a year until there was a truce and a treaty was struck. De Valera didn't agree to the treaty but since the Irish people did in a referendum, he and a minority of the IRA started a civil war. This war was rather stupid and resulted in a waste of human life and destroyed the already shitty infanstructure of this island. Damage was done by the Republicans that took decades to recover from. Anyways the Pro-Treaty side won under the leadership of Michael Collins, who died in an ambush, and British Weapons. De Valera was in jail for a short period and didn't engage in politics due to the king's oath which had to be taken before every meeting of the Dail.
After many years, he founded Fianna Fail and even pledged the king's oath to enter parliment. His party gained power democratically and slowly unravelled the Treaty. He scrapped the king's oath, and the office of the

Governor General in a new constitution in 1937. As a clause in the Treaty, the British were allowed keep three major ports in Ireland as naval bases. De Valera knew that neutrality would be impossible if the ports were in British hands. So he lobbied for there return and got them before the war broke out.

I'm not a fan of de Valera myself, I personally think he was a fool who refused to give up power for years but his wise point was to keep us neutral. He was Prime Minister for about 20 years and President for 14.

Quote:
Why if he was so pro British did he deny Britain the use of important naval bases to help in the desperate battle against German submarines?

British Naval Bases = German Bombers + Submarnes.. and what lies around these bases. Irish Territory, Shipping and lives. Our army was horribly underequipped and undertrained to deal with even a small German contingent. For example our navy at the time were three, yes only three speed boats!! Now fighting speed boats would have been difficult.

Quote:
The Irish government a the time maintained a policy of strict neutrality, keeping their fingers crossed that Hitler would win.

The vast majority of the Irish People wanted the British to win. You may believe that the Irish people are fundementally anti-British but they were not. Many Irish men left to fight in the armies of the Empire. Including three of my great uncles, one who fought in both world wars. British planes were given free passage over our air space. British Shipping could seek refuge in our harbours.

Dublin was bombed and when Belfast was bombed the ENTIRE Dublin Fire Brigade was sent north to quench the flames. This doesn't sound like the actions of an anti-British country. But I do admit, de Valera did sign the book of Condolences for Hitler which did confirm our neutrality.

Well I for one believe had Hitler come here, a small contingent could install any puppet he ever wanted.....

Well here are the treaty ports...
Berehaven, Queenstown (renamed Cobh) and Lough Swilly.
They would have helped Britain alot, but it seems they didn't need them.
0 Replies