It's a beautiful day in Annapolis

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 10:57 am
It's going to rain later tonight, but right now it's lovely. Temps at 78 degrees and humidity about 84, but there is a breeze so it still feels comfortable. This week is Commissioning Week for the Midshipmen, and the Blue Angles were practicing late morning. I just stepped out when a formation of 4 jets were flying over the tree level. I ran back to get the IPhone, but I missed the good shots. I have a few pics of jets flying near the house then disappearing until they were practically a black dot.

I can't really see the actual performance from here, but when they practice they use a lot of airspace. You can hear them before you see them because our community has a lot of open area. I really wish I'd caught that formation, but maybe I'll see them again when they do the actual performance at the Naval Academy. It's truly a breathtaking performance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,591 • Replies: 25

View best answer, chosen by glitterbag
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 11:37 am
@glitterbag,
Sounds idyllic.

Do you have a spare room?
glitterbag

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 01:15 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Of course, provided you can put up with my hyper Vizslas. We will grill steaks and eat baked potatoes and swill great quantities of wine, or beer if you prefer.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 02:45 pm
@glitterbag,
I bet Lordy would like Vizslas. I've only met one, but I was rather fond of her. Quite the peppy dog.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 06:47 pm
@glitterbag,
Vizlas are just dumb brown Weimeraners. Theyre the only hunting dog I know that will get so intent on following a pheasant or a rabbit and itll get lost for hours.
My dads friend raised Weimeraners and Vizlas.
Weimeraners were vicious snarling but smart
Vizlas were hard working dumass doofuses (But were real sweethearts)
My dad raise Irish Setters which, are, probably, the dummest dog on 4 legs
ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 May, 2015 06:55 pm
@farmerman,
Except for our Kelly, who was a good boy after obedience training. Oh, and beautiful and happy.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 12:09 am
I love Vizslas, but they are loonies. I thoroughly enjoy being out and about in open spaces with a vizsla or two, but would not like them anywhere near my best china.

Never met a bad tempered one, it must be said. Endlessly happy.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 09:18 am
@Lordyaswas,
Last night Sophie was sitting in my lap (all 40 lbs) and then proceeded to whimper, cry, caterwaul and we couldn't figure out what the hell she wanted. Mr. glitterbag stood up and picked up the remains of a chewed rawhide chew, handed it to the dog and she cheerfully hopped off my lap and enjoyed the remains of the chewy thing. Im not certain they are dumb, but only because the little buggers are always outsmarting me.

By the way FM, Vizslas are red or rust colored, not brown. I think my avatar has a pic of one of the dogs. Harumph
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 09:35 am
@Lordyaswas,
Actually, looney is an understatement. We enjoy them but they definitely are not for everybody. They are pickpockets, opportunists when they know edibles are in the vicinity and outrageous escape artists. I forgot to mention Drama queens.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 10:09 am
I've never had the privilege.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 11:37 am
@edgarblythe,
If you visit the East Coast call me. Ill make crab cakes and corn on the cob, and Ill crate the dogs if they get too obnoxious or clingy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 01:31 pm
Dogs are my favorite people. I could put up with them.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 08:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
One of our neighbors is retired Army, and about 6'3". He came in thru the side door and the dogs were delirious with happy feet. Ruby jumped from the floor and licked the lense in his glasses. Sometimes its embarrassing.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 08:40 pm
Every year the Blue Angels come to San Diego too - Miramar Naval Station and frankly, I don't like it. First of all, it's very noisy and secondly, they fly in a residential area. 50 years ago, the area was deserted and only military present, but today it's heavily populated and I would hate to see an accident happen. We had several from other fighter planes in the area, that was enough.
I live up on a hill and can see the Blue Angels perform, but after so many years, it's quite boring and did I mention it's very noisy.....

As for dogs - they're my favorite people too! Wouldn't want to live without one ever...
glitterbag

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 10:30 pm
@CalamityJane,
I don't think I could ever get bored with the Blue Angels. Today they performed the lost man manuever because we lost a midshipman in the recent train derailment. It is loud.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 May, 2015 10:55 pm
@CalamityJane,
It is three hours THursday, Three Friday, then the show for two days.....seems doable to me.
http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/media/support/support_manual_2015.pdf
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 06:33 am
@glitterbag,
You mean this Blue Angel?
glitterbag

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 11:23 am
@Ragman,
Drat, I have to go to youtube because the clip wouldn't play here. Is this the one where Marlene sings, "See what the boys in the back room will have"? My mother did a great take off of that song, in fact I remember her version better than the movie version.

Well, the great weather came to a halt today. Its overcast, drizzling and kind of chilly for this late in May. The good news is that I won't have to water the plants
today.
Ragman

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 11:25 am
@glitterbag,
Instead of clicking inside the video clip, always click on the link below it, which will bring you to Youtube and the clip plays fine.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 21 May, 2015 11:36 am
@Ragman,
It worked!!!! I love her smoking technique. Draw, puff, spit loose tobacco and repeat.