My sister’s story- the life of a heroin addict.

ossobucotemp

Mon 9 Jan, 2017 11:18 am
@Crazielady420,
Good to hear..
glitterbag

Thu 18 May, 2017 10:12 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Today it is still May 18th, 2017......earlier at around 7:20 PM my son called to tell me Elizabeth was found deceased in San Diego. She was just here this past Easter to visit her 2 year old daughter and her parents. The little girls father introduced her mother to heroin before Elizabeth conceived.....and both were in and out of rehab multiple times. We thought she was doing well until the baby was born addicted. Social Services were called in and the grandparents wee granted custody. I've been watching from the sidelines hoping Liz would fully recover......the baby's father killed himself about 18 months ago.....and now the little girl's mother is gone...........We don't have many details right now.......but what I do know is that the baby has lost her parents......This is all due to heroin. I am not the closest relative, but I fell very flat and defeated tonight.

I hope Friday we can figure out some way to help......I just don't know what else to say about this, I ache for her parents, for the lost opportunities, and for a small 2 year old girl who will never know her parents. This is just flat terrible.
ossobucotemp

Thu 18 May, 2017 10:24 pm
@glitterbag,
Thanks for posting. I am so sorry. I've no immediate bright ideas to help, not having been through this exact situation, but maybe others here will have thoughts...
glitterbag

Thu 18 May, 2017 10:59 pm
@ossobucotemp,
My son and DIL got married in 2004, I've known the family since 2002-3. It so incredibly sad and pointless. Another beautiful young women destroyed and has left a helpless child behind. This little girl has an extended family and of course that's wonderful, but what happens to the babies who have no one to lean on? I'm just very sad tonight, and I'm getting too old to of practical use to a two year old. But I do know that it's not hopeless, just very tragic.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 08:12 pm
Just an update. My sister continues to remain sober. It’s been about a year and eight months. She continues with the same job and she loves it. She’s filed to get custody of her son and she’s come so far along. She has a relationship with my kids and the rest of the family. I no longer have to watch my wallet around her or check her for signs that she’s been using.

When I originally wrote this post I’d lost all hope but still stuck by her side, regardless, and I’m so glad I did.

For all of those affected by this I’m sorry. I know how hard it is. The outcome vary and sometimes the battle ends in ways we hoped it wouldn’t but my sisters story shows me that there is still hope. There is still a reason to fight and to stand by someone’s side even when you think nothing will change.

Everyday of her life will be an internal battle, some worse than others, but she’s proven she’s a fighter and I have full faith in her now. My family was always open to others about her addiction and I never told anyone but recently I decided to open up.

There is a woman I work with that has a daughter who is an addict. I connected her to my sister, as she is now a recovery coach, and hopefully it can help. Sometimes coming out of the shadows can help others too.

Thank you all for the kind words and listening. For giving me that faith that she may change. Little things go a long way.
cicerone imposter

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 08:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, We have met a few times in Germany, England and in the US, and you seemed to be doing very well. I value our friendship, and if you ever come out to California, feel free to stay over at our place, and use my car. Also, I can pick you up at the airport if you wish.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 08:33 pm
@Crazielady420,
Thank you for the update. I applaud the two of you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 08:34 pm
@Crazielady420,
Our son overdosed on opiates, and it killed him, and he was 45 years old. The last time we saw him, he was laying on a gurney at Santa Clara County Hospital with a tube sticking out of his mouth. It was the only time in my life I cried from sadness. We didn't know how he died until we got his autopsy report. We didn't know he was into drugs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 28 Sep, 2017 09:33 pm
@Crazielady420,
What a good update. It is really nice to see.

A friend recently celebrated 33 years of marriage, 39 years of being together. About five years of marriage, her husband ( a sort of cousin of mine) became a heroin addict. It took effort and patience, and more patience, but he detoxed and has been clean for close to 25 years now. Their adult sons had some wobbly years but are both doing well now.

It is always a joy when people survive and thrive. 25/26 years ago, I wouldn't have thought W was going to make it months, let alone decades.
0 Replies

jespah

Fri 29 Sep, 2017 08:23 am
I'm glad things are better, CL.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 05:36 pm
@Crazielady420,
Hi, Christine. Thanks for the update. We all don't talk often but a lot of us care. I like this summary especially.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 05:55 pm
@Crazielady420,
Good to see things are moving forward for you, your sister, her son and the rest of the family.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 30 Sep, 2017 06:01 pm
@Crazielady420,
I'm happy things are going so well for your family.
0 Replies

TooFriendly112

Thu 26 Jul, 2018 02:05 pm
Hi!

I hope the politicians will enable the needle exchange program because it's not humane to let citizens (who might live a 9 to 5 job) to use dirty needles in the sewer gate. Things have changed alot, be very careful and avoid nighttime and the typical nightmare scenario streets.

The criminal knows how you act and what behaviour you have. A heroin user needs their drug and commits crime such as burgulary to maintain their drug use, and sell on black market etc.

It's not about jesus, and they come from very unfortunate family situation or mother might be prostitute (street walker) or father is monster or gangster.

/TooFriendly112
0 Replies

TooFriendly112

Sat 6 Jul, 2019 08:53 pm
@Crazielady420,
Hi

Poor you!

This sounds like relationship abuse. The best way is to end the relationship - but if you're an addict yourself - or an harm to yourself, it's not that easy.

/TooFriendly112
0 Replies