XP SP2 - Windows XP Service Pack 2

timberlandko

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:01 pm
You bring up a good point, Snowlock ... before doing any major install or update, its a good idea to run a thourough virus scan and yuckware cleanup routine. That would save lotsa folks lotsa grief.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 05:15 pm
I recently installed Service Pack 2 and now find that my PC operates much more slowly.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 05:31 pm
That's not likely to be directly attributable to SP2, gollum. When did you last scan your sustem for yuckware and viruses, clear out your unused programs, check your startup folder for unnecessary entries, empty your caches, and defrag?
0 Replies

prying eyes

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 06:40 pm
How do you empty the cache / caches??
thxs
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 07:42 pm
From your browser toolbar, select Tools > Internet Options
In the second panel > Delete Files, select "Delrte all offline content"

Then, oprn your root drive folder in "My Computer" - usually, thats C:\. Navigate to the "temp" folder, open it, from the folder toolbar, click Edit > Select All > Delete Note: delete just the contents, not the folder itself.
0 Replies

prying eyes

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:07 pm
I use firefox and opera mainly. IE is used only for IE specific sites only. What about these browsers??
Or is that only IE cache affects system performance??

What I did for improving system performance was CONTROL PANEL-> SYSTEM -> ADVANCED-> SETTINGS,
uncheck the first 7 options and then no 10 and 15 options . Also stop some services running in background, remove as much as system tray icons (most can be removed as in the first place they are not needed there, just serve as advertisements for their companies, eating out system resources).
Also "no sounds' ipo "windows default" too helps to recover some memory. Every bit counts.
I'm no computer expert, just googled for the above results.
Thanks a lot for spending some time for me. Can I have the answer for my qns??
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:26 pm
Whatever browser you're usin' should have in its toolset a "delete files" function. And the temp folder on your root drive - which is unrelated to your internet cache - is gonna be there if you use Windows. Cleanin' 'em both out from time to time is a decent idea.
0 Replies

Maximos1984

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 08:59 am
has it's goods and it's defects!
XP SP2 has adavntages like internet security .. firewall stuff like that .. but .. really messed up in performance and registry .. for example i can't use 3d Max 6.0 or 7.0 with it too slow .. and registry is not available!
0 Replies

X0-Soulmech

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2005 07:28 am
Re: has it's goods and it's defects!
Maximos1984 wrote:
XP SP2 has adavntages like internet security .. firewall stuff like that .. but .. really messed up in performance and registry .. for example i can't use 3d Max 6.0 or 7.0 with it too slow .. and registry is not available!

I'm able to use "regedit" with SP2 and XP Home Edition.

I too have seen very sluggish performance, as well as sluggish bootup. I've checked everything. I've cleaned all sorts of caches, old files, checked the bootup sequence, kept unneeded processes from running, and yet nothing really helped. I don't understand it.
0 Replies

docker

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 12:32 am
xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158
My version is xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158 and I can run in safemode without a battery, with 20 connections on a WAN wireless(which I don't have on my Compaq/HP desktop w/o an internet connection at the time,or even now,but the connections remain)There are so many modifications in the connection devices that take over my computer,interrupt controllers, alternate power sources,etc. SpyBot S&D picked out the first 3 bootfiles and they were modified before they could be analyzed.I have 2 boot configurations.I think the rtm means real time monitoring.

docker
0 Replies

cassiepang

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 01:48 am
are u all pros at computer?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 04:58 am
All-State my senior year. Woulda gone pro if it weren't for a tragic farming accident.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 10:31 am
That woulda been the capybara stampede, right?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:09 pm
Rabbits.
0 Replies

phoisen

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 10:54 am
anyone know how to make winxp work faster.
my pc is working slow thesedays. im using winxp now, so i dont know what the problem it has. could anyone here can help?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 7 Jul, 2006 11:01 am
Re: anyone know how to make winxp work faster.
phoisen wrote:
my pc is working slow thesedays. im using winxp now, so i dont know what the problem it has. could anyone here can help?

Open a topic here in the Computers forum, detailing as specifically as you can what problem(s) you seem to be having.
0 Replies

Jack Webb

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 12:54 pm
I recently upgraded my HP Pavilion from Windows ME to Windows XP. My HP psc 1200 3-in-One printer is supposed to be compatible. Yet I have installed and uninstalled the software six(6) times and the printer will not print.

I find no assistance from HP or Microsoft. No way am I going to pay the $35 to talk with them.

I wonder what I can do to get my printer up and running again? I must be doing something wrong. Probably with the plugging and unplugging sequence. I have no idea what it is. Any advice here will be appreciated because not only do I like to print things out; I have to.

Thank you.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 6 Aug, 2006 01:27 pm
Some printers, HP among them, are a little fussy when it comes to installing; they pretty much want it done their own way, not the default Windows' way. I suggest you visit the vendor's website support page, locate and download the appropriate divers/software for your configuration - be sure you get the right files for your specific printer and operating system. Place the download(s) into an easy-to-find folder of their own, and if necessary extract any compressed files, but do not begin the install procedure yet. Uninstall any related software and drivers, with the printing device not connected to your machine, then locate and delete any remaining associated files and/or folders, then reboot.

With the printer powered off, begin the install routine - usually invoked by clicking something like "Setup.exe" or "AutoRun". When prompted by the printer's install routine to connect the printer, connect and power on the printer. If the Windows "Add New Hardware" wizard opens, don't follow through with it, just close it and continue following the prompts supplied by the printer's install routine, pointing it to the folder into which you downloaded and if necessary extracted the drivers and software if you're asked to insert an install disc. Dunno for sure that'll get you where you wanna be, but its all I can think of at the moment.

Oh, and again, I dunno, haven't checked, but its possible, if perhaps unlikely, that XP-compatability just ain't there for your specific printer, particularly if its a relativey older (Pre-2002 or so) model.
0 Replies

Kestral

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 07:01 am
Laptop Compatability prob
I have an Averatec 3200 series laptop. I tried installing the SP2 update, but it freaked my computer out. When it rebooted to complete the installation it didn't finish and after that anytime I clicked on a shortcut on the desktop my computer reset. I couldn't open any folders or start an programs.

It wouldn't let me recover to an earlier day before I had installed to update. I couldn't figure out what to do and finally wiped my HDD on the HP support teams recomendation.

Is my laptop or some program on it just not compatable with this update? I just received a message that after Oct Xp will not be supported unless you have the update installed. How do I get around this without installing it. I don't want to lose my HDD info again.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 15 Aug, 2006 11:05 am
Re: Laptop Compatability prob
Kestral wrote:
I tried installing the SP2 update, but it freaked my computer out ...

Problems Viewing or Downloading from Windows Update

Overview of and further links to General XP SP2 Info, Tips, and Troubleshooting

Note also that M$ offers email, online chat and 1-on-1 telephone support, free, for Service Pack installation issues - details, phone numbers, and hours available HERE
0 Replies