XP SP2 - Windows XP Service Pack 2

Rockit

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:42 am
Norton Systemworks 2004 and the new Security Center
I uninstalled Norton according to they're instructions on the symetec website and the security center still say's I'm being protected by it. It's not on my hard drive? I installed a better antivirus program and now it say's I have two antivirus programs installed? Anybody have a clue on how to get the security center to stop identifying Norton thats no longer there?

Thanks
Rockit
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 11:45 am
Rockit wrote:
I uninstalled Norton according to they're instructions on the symetec website and the security center still say's I'm being protected by it. It's not on my hard drive? I installed a better antivirus program and now it say's I have two antivirus programs installed? Anybody have a clue on how to get the security center to stop identifying Norton thats no longer there?

Thanks
Rockit
First, make sure "Norton Internet Security" or "Norton Security Center" or whatever its named is gone, along with any shortcuts or startup entries; check add/delete programs, remove if present, then search for and delete (with Search all Folders AND View Protected selected, and Hide Extensions unselected) all files and folders named or contining "Norton" or "Symantec" and any related registry entries ... be sure you got 'em all, for all users. Disable System Restore (that will clear all your previous restore points, so be sure everything else is working ok first). Empty all your Temp folders (usually C:\Temp and C:\Windows\Temp - just delete their contents, not the folders themselves) and your Recycle Bin, in that order, then reboot. Do that, and your machine will not know Norton/Symantec (or, for that matter, any other application you excize in the same fashion) ever was there. Remember to re-enable System Restore.
0 Replies

Rockit

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 11:57 am
timberlandko,

Did that .. it took about two hours to get all the reg entries out. Then I did a system repair with my windows xp sp2 cd. I'll look again but I'm pretty sure that I've deleted everything that I can find. Maybe theres a file thats not called norton hiding somewhere.

Thanks
Rockit
0 Replies

vopro

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:05 am
Greetings hiyall,

I'm so glad that worked for you. I had the same problem and it took me a long time to find the solution (as simple as it was). I happened on to a post from another user that had the same problem. Microsoft was absolutely no help at all. Go figure!

Have a great day and good luck with SP2. I'm not that brave yet. :wink:

Regards,
vopro
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:11 am
Vopro, I keep chickening out on trying to install SP2 even though I'd dearly love to get rid of Norton Internet Security 2004, which is definitely slowing my machine.

A techie on another formum said he had a friend at Micro$oft who advised him to hold off on SP2 until some more bugs are worked out.
0 Replies

vopro

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 01:12 pm
I would have to agree with the techie. I'm going to hold off for a while. They're bound to come out with some patches for it soon.

Have a great day,
vopro
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 07:20 am
Well, my automatic update function has been downloading the Pack for the last few days!

It is installing it now - also a lengthy process.....

I shall read back now to see how it has gone for others...
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:26 pm
Finished installing, dlowan? Let us know how it turns out. I'm still chicken after my initial failure.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 09:47 pm
It has taken up TEN PERCENT of my memory!!!!!

Which is already low, because of a huge file I have inmy machine - Windows 2004 flight thingy.

I should have got a better computer - need to buy more memory.

Otherwise, things are fine.

Some of the security things are a little annoying - but....
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 08:27 pm
I got cable high speed today and finally decided to take the plunge into SP2 after I tried dealing with a cumbersome Update for non-SP2'ers having something to do with jpegs. Took about 30 minutes to download and install, though the configuration/backup process took another 20 minutes or so. I'd backed up everything I could then held my breath during the process. Remarkably, everything is working fine. . .so far. I still have Norton Internet Security enabled, as well as the SP2 firewall. Don't know if I'm getting doubly protected or just wasting space, but since I've got almost a year left on the Norton, I'm not going to uninstall it and buy just the antivirus.

Man, this high speed stuff is sooooo cool!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 08:37 pm
cybercat, if you're lookin' for your question:

cybercat wrote:

I downloaded XP SP2 - Windows XP Service Pack 2 which took FOREVER, almost an entire day to download and install...and then it virtually shut down my computer. (I have 512 RAM and 80 GB) I had a major decrease in memory, as well as the inability to log on to the internet. I had to unistall, and then it still didn't help, still seemed to confuse and corrupt the files, so I went back and did a System Restore, to 2 days prior to installing. So what are we supposed to do if Windows says I need to update my computer but it virtually paralyzes its function??

Paralyzed in Portland

To which I replied:

timberlandko wrote:

Dunno if this is your problem or not, but during the install, no other apps should be running ... especially security/privacy software. For folks with a dialup connection, perhaps the best bet is to order the update CD ... its is totally free, not even a shipping charge, and should arrive 3 to 6 weeks following your online order at Microsoft's website. When it arrives, disconnect from the 'net, clear all your caches, defrag, then reboot, shutdown everything except Explorer.exe, and run the installatiion from disc.

It accidentally got moved Here

If you want, open a new thread with your question, follow it up here, or head over to its current location ... your call. Sorry for the inconvenience and confusion.
0 Replies

erricah

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:44 pm
DOWN WITH WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 2SP
I just uninstalled my Windows XP Serivce Pack 2SP. The firewall doesn't work and neither does their popup blocker. I will be emailing Microsoft to find out how I can still download security updates without downloading their firewall and virus software. I already have my updates automatically downloaded into my computer. I have a firewall and another virus scan already on my computer and it didn't even recognize them!!! I am fed up with Microsoft!!!!! Sad
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:52 pm
Many older virus scanners & firewalls need to be updated (usually via a free download, for companies that have made patches available) in order to properly report to the new Windows security center.

That, in & of itself, poses no threat whatsoever to your computer.

The Windows firewall, properly configured if necessary, works very well for what it's intended to do. If you don't like it, it takes about 5 seconds to disable it.

The new Internet Explorer popup blocker will not block non-IE-based popups, such as those that are delivered via crapware already installed on your computer.

Chill... Wink

erricah wrote:
I will be emailing Microsoft to find out how I can still download security updates without downloading their firewall and virus software.

Microsoft does not publish antivirus software. The way you download Windows updates without installing SP2 is the same way it has always been done.....go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com (just make sure you remove SP2 from the list of updates to be installed).
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 10:23 pm
I'm waiting some time before I install the service pack.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2004 03:56 pm
I downloaded the new service pack last week. Before doing that I ran AdAware to remove spyware and I ran scan disk and checked to see if I needed to defrag (I didn't).

The download took about 30 minutes. I have no problems at all. Everything is working fine.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 04:29 am
I installed SP 2 and it virtually destroyed my computer. I wasn't able to start windows even in safe mode and I wasn't able to repair the installation. I've just got back on line after completely reinstalling everything. It will probably take me several weeks before I get it working the way it was.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2004 05:18 am
It worked really fine here - even with old software.

The fact that I had to re-install all,too, seems to be faults on my side.

[timber: if you happen to see this: I'm missing now after reinstalling the "desktop"-function in .. not sure about the correct English name: appearance, screensaver etc - window. Any idea, how to get it back?]
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 12:26 am
I attempted to download and install SP 2 but it lost some registry files so I had to reinstall XP. It's imperative that one disables all programs including anti-virus software while dowloading and installing this update (from my local tech who works on my PC when I have any problems beyond my expertise). I finally installed it and was happy to unload the ZoneAlarm firewall but, of course, still have Norton anti-virus installed. I use the EarthLink Pop-Up Blocker and ScamBlocker as well as the prompt feature in IE Internet options to control cookies (checked off for disallowing all third party cookies).
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 03:04 am
famous last words ... I don't know if this is tempting fate .. but my installation of it seemed to go ok.

One problem was that it kept giving me a warning that my computer may be at risk from viruses every time I switched on - though it recognised that Norton firewall is installed and on, it didn't seem to understand it's status

so i clicked to say that I would take care of monitoring the firewall (it checks once a week and updates automatically) - is this right or was there another option? I couldn't work one out.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:08 am
Vivien, A firewall won't do anything to protect you from viruses; at best it would prevent your machine from passing a virus onto other machines - and not even that is a given. The only protection against viruses and the like is a properly configured, currently updated, real-time Anti-Virus application.

LW mentioned somethin' pretty important; " ... It's imperative that one disables all programs including anti-virus software while dowloading and installing this update ... ". That is "In the instructions", and has been widely fingered as a major - if not THE MAJOR source of install woes.

Wilso, gotta ask ... I seem to recall you earlier had said you're running a shall we say "less than kosher" XP ... am I mistaken regarding that (and certainly I may be), or have you since that time migrated to a legitimately licensed personal copy? If not, that could be, and sounds very like, the reason behind the problems you report.

At this point in the game, goin' by what I read on other forums and newsgroups, and in the trade and consumer press, if anything, the SP2 upgrade seems to be going more smoothly than than the earlier SP1 upgrade, and seems to be generating even fewer problems than did the upgrade from Win 98 to 98SE.
0 Replies