XP SP2 - Windows XP Service Pack 2

timberlandko

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 01:57 pm
Properly updated and configured, Norton Internet Security should be irrelevant to the download and installation of SP2; see Symantec's SP2 Issue FAQ, see also the Symantec-relevant portion of the Microsoft Windows XP SP2 Partners Quote Sheet.

There are known XP issues with earlier, often no-longer Symantec-supported Norton products. A list of specifics and of workarounds if and where available may be found HERE.

I will offer the personal observation that I have seen no conflict between SP2 installation and current, properly configured Norton products, nor have I seen any discussion of valid conflict involving current, properly configured Norton Products among any of the various security and privacy forums, boards, and groups with which I am familiar.

Again, particularly for users with dial-up connections, many days may be required for the full download of SP2. When the download is complete, the user's system tray will announce the download is ready to install. Apart from switching to a broadband connection, there is nothing a user can do to hurry the automated, throttled, purposely incremental, background download process. Either be patient for the download to complete, or order the CD and be patient while awaiting its arrival at your door. Like it or not.
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 02:22 pm
Timber, Thanks for the response. I was notified the installation failed, so there's no reason that icon should still be showing as downloading :0% I did this yesterday, so I don't think it's simply a slowness problem. Besides, I started this directly through WindowsUpdate.com (which said at the outside it should take 5 hours and 36 mintues), so I don't know why that icon is in my system tray in the first place.

One thing is for sure, the download is not in progress but rather that it failed according to the WindowsUpdate History (and nothing like that is showing in the Windows Task Manager box either). I was mostly worried about why it failed and whether that icon is indicating the a port is open or frozen so I won't be able to be notified about incoming Auto Updates.

Tomkitten, I'll take a look at the EZ Armor. I never had such slow-down problems when I had Norton Anti-Virus and Norton Firewall separately, just since I installed this wretched Norton Security 2004 which combines them both.

Mostly right now I just want to make sure having that Downloading status isn't harmful and won't prevent Auto Update from notifying me when SP2 or other updates are available.

Maybe I'll hear back from the Online Assisted Support before my computer self-destructs!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 02:30 pm
Were you notified specifically the download failed, or that the download or installation could not be completed? There's a big difference.

Be aware the download process is background; use your connection to move from page to page, link to link, send/receive chat or instant messaging, serve or be served streaming of any sort, download or upload anything else, and the download suspends untill your connection again is idle.
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 03:40 pm
View Installation History

Keep track of what you've installed from Windows Update.

You have not installed any updates.
View Installation History

Print Current | Print All
Update Name Status Date Source

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Failed Thursday, August 26, 2004 Windows Update website

The above is copied from Installation History at http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us
The history above says "failed", not "could not be completed." When I started the download, the first on-screen status bar indicated "Preparing to Update." That rocked on awhile, with the green progress bar barely inching, so I went out to eat.

When I got back about 2 hours later, I found the screen displaying a message that ...honestly I can't remember exactly what it said, but I knew the installation hadn't worked. I had other things to do, so I didn't worry about again till this morning when I turned the computer back on and noticed that Update icon in the tray. That's when I went back to Windowsupdate and found the history noted above, with that Error # 80070103 displayed when I clicked on the word "Failed."

I did not try again to install SP2 because by this time, I'd decided I'd better wait until I was notified through Auto Update.

Thanks so much for trying to help me figure this out!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 03:47 pm
I have just installed SP2

I can no longer check my online banking account, or my email.

this is more than an inconvenience, this is absolutely ridiculous...

there aren't any notifications when I try to view these websites, no error messages, they are just blank screens when I try to go to them, it says loading done on the page.

Turning off the new Windows Firewall does not solve the problem either.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 03:58 pm
Windows Service Pack 2
Well, I've ordered the CD, and it will take 4-6 weeks for delivery. This gives me lots of time to follow the advantages, problems, and woes connected with installing SP2.
0 Replies

ezrider

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 04:22 pm
Wouldn't be a bad idea, to close down all background running applications, before updating. In any event, I'm curious to know, how SP2 is handling pop up windows.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 04:30 pm
hiyall, I believe that error code would refer to a driver incompatibilty issue. Beyond that, I can't be of much more help.

stuh, you might wanna try this; check the security settings in IE (IE > Tools > Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites > Sites). Uncheck the "Require server verification ... " box, and add the URL of the main page of the site/sites you wish to "Trust", click "Add", click "OK" to return to the main Settings page then click "Apply" and then click "OK" to exit Internet Options Settings.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 05:06 pm
Norton Internet Security was somehow conflicting with the new firewall, even when the new windows firewall was turned off.

I'm kind of dissappointed that I can't use Norton anymore, because it has treated me well for the past 2 years.

Also Microsoft (before I discovered the problem) suggested that I re-register a number of dll's by running the following commands, which anyone else having problems might want to try before waiting in the phone line:

regsvr32 schannel.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 07:19 am
Timber - I just checked in Add/Remove and find the last 16 updates labeled as SP2. The My Computer setting still shows SP1. Does this mean there's more to come, do you think, and will it automatically change to SP2 when finished?

Thanks!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 08:43 am
XP SP2 - Windows XP Service Pack 2
JustWonders' post inspired me to check my Add/Remove, and I found 7 items listed as SP. I just wish that I knew what they are. Four of them referred me to other item numbers, but that isn't a whole lot of help.

If I go to the Update site can I check these installs and find out what they are?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 08:45 am
SP2
Well, of course, I meant SP2. I'm not awake yet, I think.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 01:05 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Norton Internet Security was somehow conflicting with the new firewall, even when the new windows firewall was turned off.

Just a guess here, but I suspect it was not conflicting with the firewall but with the new security center.

Perhaps turning off the sp2 security center would do the trick.
0 Replies

ezrider

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 07:10 pm
Just watched a movie on zdnet about SP2, and they say that the only real difference is that SP1 had a firewall but was NEVER enabled, and SP2 always is, but can't stop any outbound traffic, so they recommend a 3rd party firewall anyways. Now just what kind of an update or upgrade is that suppose to be ???
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 07:45 pm
Enabling the firewall is not, by any stretch of the imagination, the bulk of sp2.

If so, sp2 would be less than 1 MB.

SP2 is an update that will stop every single one of the major pre-sp2 exploits. That, is what kind of update it is.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 06:29 am
I guess SP2 doesn't totally stop popups though. Although I haven't had any major issues with popups, I have the google popup blocker and SP2 active and just managed to get a popup!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:18 am
For JW and Tk ... those are Post SP1 fixes-and-patches .... you ain't got SP2 yet. As mentioned, you'll know when it arrives. Stuh, if ya don't mind my askin', can you say what sorta popup that was, who it was from, and under what circumstances you received it? I could be wrong, but I suspect that may have been a Messenger Service popup (nothing to do with MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger) ... if so, you can go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, and there, turn off the Alerter and Messenger services.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:43 am
XP2
timberlandko - I now have 16 items labelled Hotfix xxx SP2, as opposed to several earlier ones labelled Hotfix xxx only. It seems to me that SP2 is being added, incrementally, to my computer. BTW, I always have automatic download enabled.

I am Confused Confused Confused
0 Replies

vopro

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:51 am
Automatic update for WinXP SP2
Quote:
hiyall

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:52 am Post: 866588 -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I attempted to install SP2 on my XP-home system from the WindowsUpdate site. About two hours later (I'm on dial-up) I was notified that the installation failed due to error code 802000010 (which I was unable to find on the help site). Even after rebooting, the Update icon remains in my system tray. When I point to it, it says Downloading updates: 0%.

To remedy this issue, go in and turn off automatic updates and then turn them back on again. The icon will remove itself from the tray after that.

Regards,
vopro
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 07:08 pm
Thanks, Vopro--that worked! Don't know why that icon was bugging me so, but it was....

Even as I post this: Yow!--Less than a minute after I did that I got an "Updates are ready for your computer notice"...so that icon was indeed somehow hanging up Auto Update. (I don['t believe in coincidences!)

BTW, I haggled back and forth about the problem through M$ online help and essentially all I got back was "Don't worry, be happy."

Gonna check these waiting Updates now (I have Auto Update set to just notify, don't do anything till I say so)...but if SP2 is among them, I'm going to hold off. Among folks I know, the experiences with it are running about neck and neck on "Easy as pie" and "It killed everything on my puter."
0 Replies