XP SP2 - Windows XP Service Pack 2

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 01:46 pm
SP2
Quote:
The original Encarta 95 Encyclopaedia had a map of Turkey that included the label Kurdistan, an area the Kurdish people claim as their own. The Turks were deeply offended and Microsoft distributors in the country were arrested and questioned. The company quickly removed the reference to Kurdistan, which led to protests from its less lucrative Kurdish market.

Poor Microsoft! Just can't win!!!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:56 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Sure is a buncha lookin' for issues where none exist. At this point, I've deployed SP2 on a number of standalone machines and across several networks and haven't had a client bitch yet.

Indeed, I have it on 40+ computers now without a glitch. Some neat functionality that I've been hoping for too.
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 10:00 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Sure is a buncha lookin' for issues where none exist. At this point, I've deployed SP2 on a number of standalone machines and across several networks and haven't had a client bitch yet.

Indeed, I have it on 40+ computers now without a glitch. Some neat functionality that I've been hoping for too.

Well you have resolved the issue nothing is wrong with SP2. The thing is I would prefer not to immediately install something which potentially cause problems. Now that it is resolved, I'm fine with installing SP2. Personally, since I can't speak for everyone, I'm not looking for problems I'm simply being cautious I don't installing anything on my computer without being certain that it won't cause any problems.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 12:11 am
Just because it worked on my company's various computers doesn't mean it will on yours. ;-)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 12:14 am
And if your machine develops problems following the install of SP2, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with SP2; the problems could, and likely would, be the result of 3rd-party software you should have updated.
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 12:32 am
timberlandko wrote:
And if your machine develops problems following the install of SP2, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with SP2; the problems could, and likely would, be the result of 3rd-party software you should have updated.

Well I'm on holidays, I still have time to decide whether or not I will install SP2. As I said I'm cautious simply because I heard its safe, doesnt necessarily mean I will run home, and install it. I'm in no hurry.
0 Replies

ezrider

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 07:10 am
Kind of reminds me, when MS came out with its Windows ME version. It made no sense to upgrade, cuz XP was only a year away. Likewise, the consumer 64 bit OS versions will be availble in a year or two also.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 10:04 am
I remember the fuss and chaos brought on by Windows 3.1 ... lotsa whining then, too ... "There's nothing wrong with DOS. It works just fine and does everything I need. Why should I have to learn a new operating system? I'm just not gonna do it." And then there was Win95, and WinNT (and WinNT upgrades through what ... 4?) , and Win98, and Win98SE and its updates and patches, and Win2K and its upgrades and service packs, and WinME (which really was no improvement whatsoever; glad it went away) and its upgrades and patches, and WinXP, then WinXPSP1, with associated patches, and now WinXPSP2, and then there's gonna be Longhorn ... same bitches every time. Windows admittedly is far from perfect (what isn't?), but its ubiquitous, and M$ has, for 2 decades now, continually worked on moving it forward. By comparison, if the rest of industry and technology had made similar progress over the past 20 years, we'd be driving fusion-powered anti-gravity machines with landing-gear instead of road wheels, and Mars would be a vacation spot.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 12:41 pm
Locke - Nothing is certain in this world except you know what. If you're waiting till SP2 provides 100% correction of all problems and total prevention of new ones, you've got a long, long wait ahead of you.

I'm waiting, mainly because I want to see if there are any big problems common to many computers, like, for instance the one with SP1 which caused many computers (including mine) to s-l-o-o-o-w d-o-o-o-w-n. If, in a couple of months, I don't read of anything major, I'll go for it, but I'll order the CD, not go the download route.

Every computer is differently configured - you have program X and I have program Y and if program Z messes me up, that doesn't mean it'll mess you up.

Anyway, the old saying "post hoc, propter hoc" applies here - just because B happens after A, doesn't mean it happened because of A.

But the whole SP2 situation is interesting, and I'm following everything (that I can understand).
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:39 pm
Re: XP SP2 - Windows XP Service Pack 2
Tomkitten wrote:
Locke - Nothing is certain in this world except you know what. If you're waiting till SP2 provides 100% correction of all problems and total prevention of new ones, you've got a long, long wait ahead of you.

I'm waiting, mainly because I want to see if there are any big problems common to many computers, like, for instance the one with SP1 which caused many computers (including mine) to s-l-o-o-o-w d-o-o-o-w-n. If, in a couple of months, I don't read of anything major, I'll go for it, but I'll order the CD, not go the download route.

Every computer is differently configured - you have program X and I have program Y and if program Z messes me up, that doesn't mean it'll mess you up.

Anyway, the old saying "post hoc, propter hoc" applies here - just because B happens after A, doesn't mean it happened because of A.

But the whole SP2 situation is interesting, and I'm following everything (that I can understand).

Im waiting since I have a brand new laptop, meaning not all of the software is upgraded, and Im still cautious about what I install on it. I never mentioned;

'If you're waiting till SP2 provides 100% correction of all problems and total prevention of new ones, you've got a long, long wait ahead of you.'

I never claimed anything of the sort.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 01:47 pm
Well, Locke, you did say "I'm simply being cautious I don't installing (sic)anything on my computer without being certain that it won't cause any problems". Certainty is not usually a given with computers. . .
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:40 pm
Re: XP SP2 - Windows XP Service Pack 2
Tomkitten wrote:
Well, Locke, you did say "I'm simply being cautious I don't installing (sic)anything on my computer without being certain that it won't cause any problems". Certainty is not usually a given with computers. . .

I see we have a selective reader, I also stated I have a new laptop so I'm being protective, when you are protective, or cautious, as you quoted me, your tentative, and very careful. Also issues could arise since I havent updated all my programs as I mentioned. Also the quote you used doesnt prove that I claimed anything remotely close to;

'If you're waiting till SP2 provides 100% correction of all problems and total prevention of new ones, you've got a long, long wait ahead of you. '

You made a mistake tomkitten please dont try to prove that I had any intention of doing the above, also I was being cautious which means the issue doesnt lie with SP2, its me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 02:44 pm
I down-loaded and installed the pack at the end of last week. So far, no worries, no problems.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 07:13 pm
I have not downloaded SP2, but I've got 17 hotfixes listed with SP2 ranging from Q328310 to Q819696, and I am pretty sure I got most of them before the official release date of SP2...

I would expect it to be released at once so it would show up as "Windows XP Service Pack 2" rather than 17 little hotfixes. I was under the impression that they were not going to be rolling it out automatically to the public until after they had tested it on major corporations.

So I'm confused. Do I have SP2? If not, what do I have?
0 Replies

ezrider

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 07:58 pm
While everybody is still discussing this important topic.......has anyone taken the prudent step of creating a "system restore point" BEFORE they dowloaded and installed SP2 ??? I'm not sure if this step would take you back to SP1, if the update didn't go well.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:37 pm
i was told that SP2 had that built in ezrider
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:01 pm
To tell "what youve got" right-click on "My Computer, then select "Properties". On the "General" tab, which likely will be the default open-to tab, the 4th line of text should tell you the current Service Pack for your Operating System is installed on your machine. Those Hotfixes essentially are updates subsequent to the release of SP1, and if they already are on your machine, your SP2 download and intall requirements will be that much less. If any are missing, the SP2 update will include the necessary make-ups. In as much as a full SP2 download may be nearly 300 MB, anything already on your machine will occasion a lighter overall download. Given the large size of SP2, it has been structured to download incrementally in the background, and may, especially if you have a dial-up connection, require many internet connection sessions over a period of days to complete. When its all been loaded to your machine, you'll know; the "Updates ready to install" balloon will pop up down in your system tray.

The installation process itself is going to be fairly lengthy (around 15 minutes or so alltogether on a 2Gig P4 w/512 RAM is about typical from what I've seen), and requires a reboot to complete. Upon reboot, you'll be presented with the SP2 splash screen, which will prompt you to examine and configure your security and privacy settings. SP2 also will detect most AV applications and determine whether it thinks they are properly configured and current. SP2 also will have numerous security enhancement effects on Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

As part of its installation process, it will back up your original pre-SP2 settings, to which you should be able to revert by going to Add/Remove Programs, selecting the entry for SP2, and choosing-then-confirming "Remove". System Restore by itself will not remove SP2 once it has been installed.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 09:32 pm
thanks timber
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 12:52 pm
I attempted to install SP2 on my XP-home system from the WindowsUpdate site. About two hours later (I'm on dial-up) I was notified that the installation failed due to error code 802000010 (which I was unable to find on the help site). Even after rebooting, the Update icon remains in my system tray. When I point to it, it says Downloading updates: 0%.

I'm willing now to wait for the Automatic Update notification (it is turned on), but I'm concerned that since the Update system seems to be stalled, the notification will not come through. (I tried System Restore to the previous day, but the icon remains and the Update History still shows installation failure.) What happened and what do I need to do to in order to get this Downloading icon stopped and be ready to receive the Automatic Update?

I sent the above message to M$ through the Online Assisted Support, but no telling how long it'll take to get a response. Any of you folks have any ideas? Is having that Update icon open a problem?

BTW, I do have SP1 and I have routinely installed updates.

Also I have Norton Internet Security 2004 (which I hate--it has slowed my system down bunches, even when not online). Could it have interfered?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 01:01 pm
hyall - Norton software has an awful lot of bloat. I prefer the EZArmor programs; they seem to be keeping my computer clean and malware free.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Norton is interfering with your automatic updates. Have you tried disabling it and then attempting to download SP2?

I'm always interested in the side effects of any Norton program. Keep us posted on this one.
0 Replies