XP SP2 - Windows XP Service Pack 2

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 01:36 pm
Windows XP Service Pack 2 is coming and while being a mere service pack upgrade the scope of its changes are closer to a new version of Windows.

Expect a lot of tech support problems as Microsoft battens down the hatches and drastically increases security.

I am posting this here as a heads up to developers and tech support personnel as this could be problematic for us.

While chatting with programers about the Able2Know toolbar one remarked to me "you know that XPsp2 will break the toolbar right?" and it may well be true as browser security is being strengthened by simply cracking down on all BHOs (browser helper objects).

I have not had the chance to test the RC (release candidate) version of SP2 as I do not currently have any machines I can use for testing but you can get it here.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2preview.mspx

BTW, if any of you do install it please let me know if it breaks the able2know toolbar ( http://toolbar.able2know.com ) and what is says when trying to install the toolbar.

For this I'd need you to install the toolbar first, install sp2 to see if it breaks it, and then uninstall it and try to install the toolbar with sp2.

I'd appreciate that heads up and that's the kind of problem I warn about. The security improvement might cause problems for a lot of the good guys by cracking down broadly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 77,891 • Replies: 162
No top replies

Denze

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 07:04 pm
I can't insall the toolbar.

Three security pop-ups:

----------------------------------------

File Download - Security Warning

Do you want to run or save this file?

Name: Able2know.exe
Type: Application, 240 KB

[Run] [Save] [Cancel]

This type of file can harm your computer. If the file information above looks suspicious, or you do not fully trust the source, do not run or save the software. How can I decide what software to run? (links to new IE help file)

Internet Explorer - Security Warning

The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run the software?

Name: able2know.exe
Publisher: Unknown Publisher
[Run] [Don't Run]

This file does not have a valid digital signature that verifies its publisher. You should only run software from publishers you trust. How can I decide what software to run? (links to new IE help file)

NSS Error

The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete. This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download, or a virus.

You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy.

It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch (NOT RECOMMENGED).

The second two are the same regardless of whether you try to run the installer directly or download it as a file and install from disk.

On the positive side, it has a pop-up blocker and also blocks (at least what it considers to be unsafe) Active-X controls
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 07:08 pm
Sigh, I avoided Active-X altogether because I wanted to avoid web-install. I didn't think signing an .exe installer was important. I guess it will be.

I hate those scummy adware creators! Evil or Very Mad

Thanks a million!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 07:29 am
I'm no way sufficiently knowledgeable to try the experiment, but I'll be following any responses that come. Given the problems with SP 1, it should be interesting.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 07:30 am
BTW - I had no problem installing and using A2K toolbar.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 12:28 am
Before SP2 will be out in June:

http://images.derstandard.at/20040706/xp.jpg

Quote:
SEATTLE (Reuters) - A major update to Windows XP (news - web sites), offering security enhancements and better stability, will be available for download and on CD-ROMs from August, two months after its originally scheduled date, Microsoft Corp. said on Monday.
The world's largest software maker had originally aimed to release the update, called Service Pack 2, in June.

Mike Nash, Microsoft vice president for security, said that his group needed more time to ensure that the update was stable and would work with other programs when installed on personal computers running Windows XP, the latest version of the operating system found on more than 90 percent of the world's PCs.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft has made it a top priority to improve the security and reliability of its software, after Chairman Bill Gates (news - web sites) launched its "Trustworthy Computing" initiative in a companywide memo in early 2002.

"We will be proactive in having enterprise move to Windows XP and Service Pack 2," Nash said, adding that new computers sold from this fall would start to feature Windows with Service Pack 2 already installed.

Major worms, such as Blaster and MyDoom, have exploited flaws in Windows, causing computers to crash and putting them at risk of data loss, highlighting the challenge that Microsoft has in making its flagship product more secure.

The update will be available to customers for free over the Internet and can also be installed with CD-ROMs. Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Home Edition will be about 70 megabytes and the update for Windows XP Professional will be about 92 megabytes, Nash said.

Source

That was already overdue.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 12:44 am
Fred langa published this (helpful) article The Promise--And Problems--Of The New Windows Update yesterday, before the delated download was published.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 05:04 pm
just checking in........
0 Replies

shortbus

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 04:33 pm
When asked how much I dislike the beta for XP-SP2, my answer was "A lot".
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 03:55 am
What were your main qualms with the BETA SP2?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 02:31 am
garbage microsoft. well, sorry...

again:
Microsoft delays release of Windows XP update

Quote:
A long-awaited update kit for Microsoft's Windows XP software faces further delays and may take until October to get fully worked into the supply of new computers, a spokesman said yesterday.

Microsoft plans to make the XP "service pack 2" available by download or on free update discs by the end of this month. It was originally scheduled to ship by June 30.

It will also provide computer makers with a new version of XP that incorporates the updates, but it may take up to six or eight weeks longer to appear on new PCs, said Greg Sullivan, lead product manager with Microsoft's Windows Client division.

That means the kit is late for the back-to-school selling season, "but the thing we're focused on is getting this release to the quality it can be and then getting it into the hands of customers," Sullivan said.

The update kit installs all security improvements made since XP was released in 2001. It also changes the software's settings to make it less vulnerable to attack, and installs a "dashboard" control to help users manage security settings. It will also install the latest version of Microsoft's media player and improved controls for accessing wireless Internet connections.

One factor in the delay is testing to see how the kit affects other software. The kit may interfere with some applications, and Microsoft has acknowledged it will cause problems with its own business customer-relationship management product.

Business/Technology Ticker Seattle Times
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 11:46 am
Will this be available as a CD, or by download only? Anybody know? Craven? Monger? Thok?

Question Question Question
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:41 pm
It will be available as a download, on CD, and shipped in new puters.

The CD will probably take a while, and the download will be deployed over time (100 million computers can't get it at once, so it will be phased in).

The CD will probably be the last thing available.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 05:54 am
and :

Microsoft releases Windows XP security update

Quote:
Microsoft Corp. released a long-awaited security update for its Windows XP program on Friday, a response to the growing number of security shortcomings in the market-dominant computer operating system.

The free upgrade won't be available to everyone right away, however. Microsoft said the timing will depend on several factors, including customers' Internet usage, location and language as well as the overall demand for the package, dubbed Service Pack 2.

Customers who have computers set to receive updates automatically will begin getting Service Pack 2 within a few days, company spokesman Matt Pilla said Friday. About 100 million customers are expected to receive the automatic updates in the next two months.

Customers can turn on the automatic update function by going to the ``system'' control panel, found by going to the ``start'' menu.

For regular users, the most noticeable change will be a series of new prompts. Users will be asked to give permission for programs to interact with their computers, so there is less chance they will be hit by a virus or admit malicious software.

On average, Pilla said, it should take about 60 to 90 minutes for users with a broadband connection to download the upgrade, as people will likely be Web surfing and doing other things that take online priority. He said the download could take users with a dial-up connection a few days to get.

Link
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:32 am
Winows XP Sevice Pack 2
If (and I shudder to think of it) it will take a matter of days to download SP2 for us trolls and troglodytes who stick to dialup, can we at least use our computers during that process?

Specifically, can I access the Internet, get and send email, etc? It just happens that I have never tried working online while downloading, and for a couple of reasons. One is that I don't download much, and never long complicated items. Second, I always prefer hard copy, in the form of a CD
in order to deal more easily with any problems that may arise with the program in the future - call me chicken, or call me prudent, whichever . . .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:36 am
Tom,

I'd wait for the CD. It's not a critical time-sensitive security patch.

It's a great update, and probably the most extensive in software history, but there's no time-critical element to it.

Waiting is also a good idea so you can see if there are quirks that they need to iron out (sometimes there are unforseen issues).
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:39 am
Tomkitten, if you download it directly, it will most likely tie up or at least substantially slow down your Internet connection.

If, however, you turn on automatically downloading of Windows updates in the background, it should have less effect on your regular computer use.

To turn on automatic updates, see this page: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:40 am
I'm confused. From what I just read, it sounds as though MS will start SP2 automatically. So what should I do when they notify me that new updates are ready to instal (I have the automatic update option)? Accept and install or say no?

I agree that patience=prudence here. I have no doubt there will be bugs, but the fewer the better, natch.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:42 am
If you want to wait, say no. If you don't want to wait, say yes.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 08:44 am
Thanks, Craven. I think I'll probably say no and wait for the CD. I just hope it isn't too long acomin'.
0 Replies