Dating a colleague

hatiek

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 06:16 am
I started a new job and there is a cute secretary who i like. After the first week I went to a party and I saw her and she told me that she was looking for me. after 2 weeks she started to email me on a daily basis. Then, I started to email her as well and we spent like 2 weeks emailing each other and then I started sitting near her during the break time. She even started to flirt me about certain things and asked me personal questions such as previous relationships and stuff. I think that she likes me.

After 3 weeks i decided to compliment her as I told her that she is very sexy. However, she hasn't emailed me the "goodmorning emails" since then. In addition, she is taking longer to reply to my emails....I don't send on a daily basis because I don't want to bother her or something...Anyways, when she replies she tell me the time she is going for break without asking her (as in she is indirectly inviting me to join her).
Perhaps, complimenting her wasn't a good decision....
I really want to ask her out but the fact that she works with me is literally holding me back from asking her. If she decline my date then it is gonna be awkward seeing her everyday at work.
Do you date somebody you work with?

jespah

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 06:21 am
@hatiek,
Don't do it. You are right that it would get awkward. Your job is worth more than this.

By the way - a pro tip - the first time you compliment someone, for God's sake, don't call them sexy. Call them pretty or charming or cute or handsome (if appropriate) or funny but don't use the word sexy. It is like skipping over a few dozen steps of the process. Of course not everyone behaves or thinks the same way, but you were served a softball and you crushed it with a bulldozer instead of lightly batting it back.

Don't go that fast. Seriously. You've got nowhere to go from there, and it's too unambiguous, particularly with someone you work with. You essentially told her you'd like to **** her. Even if that's true, you had no idea whether she would be receptive to any advances at all.

Christ, if someone at an office told me I looked sexy, I would be contacting HR and complaining of harassment.
CoastalRat

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 08:41 am
@jespah,
Quote:
if someone at an office told me I looked sexy, I would be contacting HR and complaining of harassment.
So this explains why I keep getting called to HR! And here I just thought the HR manager had the hots for me.

Seriously though, Jespah is right. Leading with a compliment of "I think you are sexy" is not the best way to go. Sounds more like a pickup line than a serious compliment. And office romances can lead to all sorts of problems. But, if you really want to go there, tone it down a bit and next time she tells you when she is going on break or to lunch, as if she would mind if you join her. Slow and steady wins the race, you know.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 May, 2015 09:16 am
@hatiek,
hatiek wrote:
After 3 weeks i decided to compliment her as I told her that she is very sexy.

that is not a compliment. it's a pick-up line and not ever appropriate with a colleague

not ever

never
0 Replies