The Diary of Samuel Pepys

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 04:26 pm
Samuel Pepys (born February 23, 1633, London, England
died May 26, 1703, London ), English diarist and naval administrator, celebrated for his Diary (first published in 1825), which gives a fascinating picture of the official and upper-class life of Restoration London from Jan. 1, 1660, to May 31, 1669.

This diary is to found at the gutenberg project.

The following link, however

The Diary of Samuel PepysWe saw the fire as only one entire arch of fire from this to the other side of the bridge, and in a bow up the hill for an arch of above a mile long: it made me weep to see it. The churches, houses, and all on fire and flaming at once; and ahorrid noise the flames made, and the cracking of houses at their ruine.About 3 o'clock this morning I waked with the noise of the rain, having never in my life heard a more violent shower; and then the cat was locked in the chamber and kept a great mewing and leapt upon the bed, which made me I could not sleep a great while.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,503 • Replies: 17
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 04:31 pm
This is one of those books I've been meaning to read for a long, long time.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 04:35 pm
That could be done easily now, jespah: just a couple of sentences per day. :wink:
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 04:47 pm
Eek, Walter, I can barely finish the daily paper these days, and I'm a fast reader!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 04:53 pm
I'm feeling with you, jespah!

So, using the advantage of this link

Saves time!!!

you'll get some minutes to read the other :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 05:01 pm
I've always enjoyed Pepys style and candor. He is also an invaluable resource for the period, especially in naval matters. As this was the period in which two naval wars crucial to the development of English colonies and trade routes were fought, his diary is a must read for anyone investigating this topic.

And, were it later in the evening, i'd say . . .

And so to bed . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 05:16 pm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 05:25 pm
(Walter, "and so to bed" is from Pepys' diary, and widely used by the English in conversation and writing . . . i was just quoting him . . . by all means, get your rest, Boss, your clear-headed participation is always welcomed by me, at least, and, i suspect, a great many others . . .)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 05:31 pm
(Quotations are now out, bed is in. Nevertheless, thanks for the compliment!)
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 01:02 am
Claire Tomalin just won the Whitbread Book of the Year Award for her biography on Pepys.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 01:11 am
Thanks for that response, Larry!

Here are some links to this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/2699703.stm

http://www.independent.co.uk/story.jsp?story=373648

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,884333,00.html
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 01:13 am
And thank you for the great Pepys site - very enjoyable. I have a nice Pepys edition here too, but of course I haven't read it, yet. Embarrassed
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 02:18 am
Larry and Walter: I've been following the blog for several weeks and now find this thread started about it! Here is an excerpt from the blogmaster, Phil -

The local newspaper from where I grew up has published a short piece about the site. The Witham and Braintree Times isn’t online in any useful form so here’s the article for your entertainment and my embarrassment:

Quote:
Witham Viewpoint with Eve Sweeting

He may not have enjoyed history lessons at school but Phil Gyford, 31-year-old son of Witham historian Janet Gyford and her husband John, is now showing distinct signs of following in his mother’s footsteps.

Phil, a former pupil at Witham’s Chipping Hill, Templars and Rickstones Schools has devised an interactive website — The Diary of Samuel Pepys — which is proving a big hit.

Those logging on can enjoy a day by day entry from the diaries of Samuel Pepys, the famous 17th century diarist who lived in London and, besides recording more dramatic times such as the Great Fire of London, also noted how much turkey his family ate at Christmas and the fall-outs with his wife.

The site is proving as popular as the soaps. “Better than Emmerdale,” is one comment from a reader.”

Phil, a web designer, actually went to America to study the future, in which he took a masters degree.

Such is the interest, however, in his current look back to the past that he has been interviewed on both American and Australian radio and featured in the Washington Post as well as BBC News Online.

Phil welcomes questions and comments on each day’s entry.

Phil says: “I am attempting to keep the diary content as close to the original as the web format and the translations through Victorian editors and Project Gutenberg’s process allow.”

So far the Pepys Diaries are a mix of domestic and wider news.

It seems an entertaining and agreeable way of digesting the famous diaries in bite-sized chunks — and from what I’ve read so far I can quite see the site becoming as compulsive as Coronation Street.

If you want to long on it is: www.pepysdiary.com
Saturday 25 January 2003, 1:21 PM

I've certainly enjoyed it! BTW, read the comments posted along - they are a hoot. The two of you should really be checking into the world of blogging. If you are interested I could start a thread just for bloggers within able2know.... I have about 6 blogs now, very pleasant for diversion. When I go looking at the links each of my favorite blogs list, I can be 'lost in space' for hours! LOL
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 02:21 am
Yuck, here is a webpage link for the short article had no idea that my copy/paste was going to shw up with some stray html crud in it! Apologies to all:
Why I Started the Pepys Blog
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 03:02 am
I started browsing through a bit of stuff about blogs the other day - someone started a "blogging" thread in the Internet forum and I searched for a few links to throw up there. But I didn't browse too thoroughly. Are they just public journals for people to jot down their thoughts every so often? I'd enjoy further info on this subject.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 03:04 am
p.s. your avatar is stunning Shocked is this the infamous sculpture mentioned elsewhere on a2k - can't remember if that was you or not.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 03:24 am
Thanks for the artistic encouragement, lol! Actually, I'd found this online in the link for the Ft. Worth Museum of Modern Art and I did see the 'piece' there in December. It turned out to be by a famous female artist I had met in the early 70's in Illinois during an Artist in Residence week. The "pile" is by Lynda Bengalis, also famous for a "Painting" about 50 feet long of a giant... screw....

I just hadda post this avatar in response to the Steve posts in Lola's Salon of the last few days. If you read those posts there and the replies, you'd see just how apt, heh heh!

PS. There is another Forum guide at present "on the case" of the spammer, to let you know...
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 03:35 am
Thanks - he came in, posted the same message to 5 forums and popped out. I got two of them. What a surprise - his favorite web site is the same address as the spam site! Amazing.
0 Replies