Mobile Phones May Damage Sperm?

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 06:18 am
The study may be inconclusive, the findings spurious, but you must admit, it does give one pause!

Quote:
Mobile phones may damage men's sperm, Hungarian scientists say, in a study that fertility experts dismissed Monday as inconclusive.

Carrying a mobile in hip pockets or a holster on the waist could cut sperm count by nearly 30 percent, according to the research.

"The prolonged use of cell phones may have a negative effect on (sperm production) and male fertility," Dr. Imre Fejes, of the department of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Szeged said in a summary of the study.

Link to mobile phones and sperm count.

Men- Do you think that this finding will affect your relationship with your cell phone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,851 • Replies: 23
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 07:11 am
Does this mean I don't have to use a condom?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 07:23 am
Well my husband had always carried a cell phone around with him and we have two young healthy girls - didn't effect his sperm count.

I also had a friend (he is peculiar) that used to think that the library detector at college would effect his sperm count. He used to put his books so they covered him when walking through. As he is not married yet, I have no information to see how it effected him.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 07:24 am
NickFun
- Now why did I KNOW that some guy would think of that! Laughing
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 08:54 am
Hey Phoenix. Just trying to find the positive in this whole thing : )
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 09:21 am
Sounds like the warning about mammograms causing damage to ovaries.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 09:29 am
Given the track record of previous cell-phone scares, I remain utterly unworried.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 10:29 am
Another day another warning. Sounds like our homeland security in action.

They must be on the same page. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 10:34 am
The "science" behind this "study" was absurd.

The Reuters article only touched on Hans Evers' reservations but they are the most scientific part of the article.

Quote:
It ... appears not to take into account the many potential confounding factors that could have skewed the results," Evers, who works at the Academic Hospital in Maastricht in the Netherlands, said in a statement.

He added that the study did not seem to analyze stress levels, the type of jobs the men have and whether they smoked, which could all influence sperm count.

On the radio today, I was listening to the way Hans Evers says "tight underwear". It was pretty funny.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 02:35 pm
Perhaps a decade ago, it became suspected that police officers were getting testicular cancer from their radar guns.

Most guns say "on" all the time. Traffic officers would sit in their patrol cars clocking cars and set the radar gun between their legs (where you'd put your McDonald's coffee) when doing paperwork or resting or whatever.

These officers were getting cancer at abnormally high rates.

I carry two cell phones on my belt. I don't have any kids. Coincidence?

General Tsao

PS: I've never caused a fire at a gas pump with my cell phone.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2004 05:28 pm
Smile
Linkat, you're friend is funny.
I heard something about cell phones just yesterday, that they may affect fertility in WOMEN.
I know a woman undergoing fertility treatments now who is constantly on her cell phone. Yet I still missed the story. (It was one of those teasers where you're supposed to tune in at 11)
I may look it up though. it interests me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 07:57 am
Suzy - If it was on Fox News, I'd take it with a grain of salt. They tend to stretch things for a story. I remember staying up just to get a news story about baby formula making babies sick. I had recently stopped nursing and gave my daughter infant formula my doctor recommended. It happened to be the one on the news report. They insinuated (did not come out and say that the formula made babies sick) it made babies sick. You better believe that the next morning I called the doctor. I also emailed the formula company with questions about the formula. My doctor called back and received many such calls. She basically said it was a false claim. It seems one baby was sick, the mother changed formulas and the baby happen to get better once she changed formulas. The doctor had not heard of any other babies getting sick. She felt it was a coincidence that the baby got over her sickness at the same time the mom changed formulas.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 07:58 am
I thought, the previous concern was brain tumors from cell phones.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 08:00 am
Linkat wrote:
Suzy - If it was on Fox News, I’d take it with a grain of salt. They tend to stretch things for a story. I remember staying up just to get a news story about baby formula making babies sick. I had recently stopped nursing and gave my daughter infant formula my doctor recommended. It happened to be the one on the news report. They insinuated (did not come out and say that the formula made babies sick) it made babies sick. You better believe that the next morning I called the doctor. I also emailed the formula company with questions about the formula. My doctor called back and received many such calls. She basically said it was a false claim. It seems one baby was sick, the mother changed formulas and the baby happen to get better once she changed formulas. The doctor had not heard of any other babies getting sick. She felt it was a coincidence that the baby got over her sickness at the same time the mom changed formulas.

Parents sometimes, don't dilute the commerical formula. This could, indeed, make a baby very sick.
0 Replies

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 08:03 am
I try to stay away from Fox, so I don't know...

I remember that baby formula story too. Wasn't the kid just allergic or something like that?
Don't you hate hype!?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 09:39 am
My understanding suzy is that they never determined the cause of the baby being sick. The baby got better so the mom just assumed it was the baby formula.

By the way, I have to say the formula company responded to me immediately. They were very informative in their response and very thorough. The other thing the news report insinuated was that formula companies are not regulated and they test their own products. Both of which I later found out through my doctor was completely false.

I tend to doubt that dilution was the problem as the mom simply switched (as reported by Fox anyway) to a different formula. If she were using the type that needed dilution, I would guess that simply changing formulas would not solve that problem. Fox reported it was the addition of DHA and ARA in some formulas was causing this problem.

I also have to comment that my daughter is a beautiful extremely healthy 21 months today!
0 Replies

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:25 pm
Smile That's wonderful!
But you should be aware of this:
http://www.cellphones.ca/news/000392.cfm
Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 03:29 pm
Alright! Cleansing of the gene pool. Walk around with a cell phone stuck in the side of your head, and you're outta here.
0 Replies

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 05:01 pm
Smile
The woman I know who is trying to conceive actually had a medical procedure related to her neck, due to always tilting it while walking and driving while using her cell phone (She talks constantly, it's like an attachment to her ear)! So I probably only thought it was a story on female fertility - a possible reason for her not being pregnant yet - but I have found absolutely nothing online to back that up, so it couldn't have been.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2004 09:27 pm
Oh, I was kidding, Suzy. Men wear the stupid things on their belts, and whenever they are turned on, they transmit the users area and availability. That's probably the cause of the alleged problem.
0 Replies