Does "the guess list...has underlined Russia's role as an outcast in Europe" mean...?

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 07:36 pm
Does "the guess list...has underlined Russia's role as an outcast in Europe" mean "the guest list... has highlighted the fact that Russia has been jilted by Europe"?

Context:

"I heard that some people say our parade is about displaying a military threat," Smolkin said. "But it is not about that. This is for us Russian people, it shows that we are a strong and great country."

The guest list
at the anniversary events in Russia, including major Asian allies India and China, former Soviet republics and communist-era allies such as Cuba, has underlined Russia's role as an outcast in Europe.

More:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/putin-takes-swipe-u-s-massive-red-square-military-parade-n356406
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 429 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
layman
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 07:49 pm
@oristarA,
That's the way I read it, Oris, sho nuff. Ya don't see any European countries on that guest list, eh?

"Shunned" or "ostracized" might be a better term, than "jilted," though. "Jilted" is generally used when a relationship between two lovers is unilaterally terminated by one, while the other pines for reconciliation. Probably not limited to that, though, I don't really know.
oristarA

Reply Sat 9 May, 2015 10:03 pm
@layman,
Excellent.
0 Replies