Thimode of thinking is especially important for ordinary cognition?

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 09:19 pm
Well, I think "Thimode of thinking" got a misspelling there. What is the correct spelling of the word thimode?

Context:

There is a close relationship between belief and reasoning. Many of our beliefs
are the product of inferences drawn from particular instances (induction) or from general principles (deduction), or both. Induction is the process by which we extrapolate from past observations to novel instances, anticipate future states of the world, and draw analogies from one domain to another. Believing that you probably have a pancreas (because people generally have the same parts), or interpreting the look of disgust on your son's face to mean that he doesn't like Marmite, are examples of induction. Thimode of thinking is especially important for ordinary cognition and for the practice of science, and there have been a variety of efforts to model it computationally.
Deduction, while less central to our lives, is an essential component of any logical argument.
If you believe that gold is more expensive than silver, and silver more
expensive than tin, deduction reveals that you also believe gold to be more expensive than tin. Induction allows us to move beyond the facts already in hand; deduction allows us to make the implications of our current beliefs more explicit, to search for
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 468 • Replies: 5

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 10:54 pm
@oristarA,
It looks like it should read, "This mode..."
oristarA

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 11:37 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

It looks like it should read, "This mode..."

Thank you.
What is Marmite in "he doesn't like Marmite"?
FBM

Reply Thu 7 May, 2015 11:56 pm
@oristarA,
Marmite is a fermented yeast spread that some people love and others hate. It has a...unique...flavor.
cherrie

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 01:45 am
@FBM,
Vegemite is much better.
FBM

Reply Fri 8 May, 2015 02:08 am
@cherrie,
I've only had Vegemite and Cheesymite, but I like them well enough.
0 Replies