Failed to understand "as over against the investigations of the day"

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 05:40 am
It seems to mean "as a means against the current investigations (whose investigations"?) " to me.
How to understand it correctly?

Context:

(36) We must not, then, as Christians, assume an attitude of antagonism toward the truths of reason, or the truths of philosophy, or the truths of science, or the truths of history, or the truths of criticism. As children of the light, we must be careful to keep ourselves open to every ray of light. Let us, then, cultivate an attitude of courage as over against the investigations of the day. None should be more zealous in them than we. None should be more quick to discern truth in every field, more hospitable to receive it, more loyal to follow it, whithersoever it leads.'
--Benjamin Warfield, a conservative Protestant theologian
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 331 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 04:49 pm
@oristarA,
Yes, I think you're right.

It's referring to the investigations of the rationalists, philosophers, scientists, historians and critics.
0 Replies

FBM
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 6 May, 2015 05:09 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

It seems to mean "as a means against the current investigations (whose investigations"?) " to me.
How to understand it correctly?

Context:

(36) We must not, then, as Christians, assume an attitude of antagonism toward the truths of reason, or the truths of philosophy, or the truths of science, or the truths of history, or the truths of criticism. As children of the light, we must be careful to keep ourselves open to every ray of light. Let us, then, cultivate an attitude of courage as over against the investigations of the day. None should be more zealous in them than we. None should be more quick to discern truth in every field, more hospitable to receive it, more loyal to follow it, whithersoever it leads.'
--Benjamin Warfield, a conservative Protestant theologian

Warfield wrote in the early 20th century, so that style is very outdated now. A more concise way to write that would be 'cultivate an attitude of courage against...' or 'in the face of' the truths that philosophers, scientists, historians, etc, reveal.
0 Replies