jcboy

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 08:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
If there's anything I've learned over the years, beyond what's been expected of me, it's how to identify a real creep. I have like a radar for it. Sociopaths, weirdos and those with hidden hostilities, they have no camouflage around me. You kind of stick out like a wart on a fleas ass Razz
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 08:36 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

If there's anything I've learned over the years, beyond what's been expected of me, it's how to identify a real creep. I have like a radar for it. Sociopaths, weirdos and those with hidden hostilities, they have no camouflage around me. You kind of stick out like a wart on a fleas ass Razz

the subject is Bernie Sanders, Not Hawkeye.

Remedial comprehension class is now concluded.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 08:42 pm
Mark Shields: Why Bernie Sanders’ Big Crowds Count in Presidential Race

Mark Shields says: "Sanders really could be David against all the Goliaths in both parties — the last, best chance to take back the American government from big money"

Sanders, his growing legion of supporters would concede, is no matinee idol and does not hide his 73 years. He doesn’t look to have wasted time on his personal appearance, and he definitely buys off the rack.

He does not offer the optimism that characterized both John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan or the eloquence of an Adlai Stevenson II.

No, what Sanders gives you is his unvarnished take on the truth. To the hedge-fund royalty and the private-equity princes, he announces: “You can’t have it all. You cannot get huge tax breaks when millions of kids go to bed hungry. ... You cannot hide your profits in the Cayman Islands and Bermuda. You will pay your fair share.”

Audiences understand when Sanders declaims that uncontrolled campaign financing — with admitted individual contributions of $10 million to a candidate — because of the U.S. Supreme Court’s 2010 no-limits Citizens United decision has “totally corrupted” this nation founded on “government by the people.”

http://www.noozhawk.com/article/mark_shields_bernie_sanders_big_crowds_presidential_campaign_20150815
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2015 08:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're the one who turns every thread into the Hawkey10 show.

Quote:
the subject is Bernie Sanders, Not Hawkeye.

Remedial comprehension class is now concluded.

REJECTED.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 06:44 am
Iowa: Sanders Mocks Trump, Praises Obama, Promises to End Racism in Justice System

by
Th0rn

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/16/1412481/-Iowa-Sanders-Mocks-Trump-Praises-Obama-Promises-to-End-Racism-in-Justice-System

Bernie Sanders jokes rather pointedly as Donald Trump's black helicopter passes overhead at the fair:

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) mocked GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump on Saturday for offering rides in his helicopter outside of the Iowa State Fair.

“Oh look, what can you do? It’s Donald Trump,” he quipped during the event in Des Moines that afternoon upon seeing the aircraft fly overhead.

“I apologize – we left the helicopter at home,” joked Sanders, a 2016 Democratic White House hopeful. “I forgot to bring it.”

Trump generated spectacle during his Iowa State Fair visit Saturday by letting children fly with him in his private aircraft. The black helicopter, covered with Trump’s name on the sides, presented a rare sight on the campaign trail.

Sanders’ remarks on wealth and privilege Saturday painted a stark contrast with the excess of Trump’s campaign stunt.

“This country belongs to all of us, not just a handful of billionaires,” he told listeners. “We need millions of people to stand up to the billionaire class and say, ‘You cannot have it all.’ ”

“In America today, what we are seeing is the disappearance of the great middle class,” Sanders added. “People are working two, three jobs just to put food on the table. Meanwhile, almost all of the new income and wealth is going to the top 1 percent.”

Sanders also had a few choice words to say about Republican family values versus the family values of average people:

“Their values are that a woman should not have a right to control their own bodies, and I disagree,” Sanders said. “Their values are that our gay brothers and sisters should not be able to get married, and I disagree.”

“The United States has got to end the international embarrassment of being the only nation not to guarantee paid maternity leave,” he added. “Now that’s a family value.”

He then went on to praise Iowans for supporting President Obama in 2008:

“I want to thank the people of Iowa for their courage in voting for President Obama in 2008,” he said of the first-in-the-nation presidential primary caucus there.

“What you showed is that a state that is mostly white can vote for someone based on the character of their ideas and not the color of their skin,” Sanders added.

He also promised to throw his full weight against discrimination in the justice system and to end police violence against African-Americans:

"That has got to end," Sanders said during a major Iowa Democratic gathering Friday after listing names of African-Americans whose deaths this year involved police, the Des Moines Register reported.

"No one will fight harder than I will to end racism in America and to reform our broken criminal justice system," Sanders added of addressing the nation's incarceration rates disproportionally affecting minorities.

Sounds like he's listening and eager to get on with the job.

revelette2

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 06:53 am
@bobsal u1553115,
You know it is beginning to make sense of why he is drawing crowds, every single word he says is true and in urgent need to change. I just wish he would say how he would accomplish it all short of a revolution. Perhaps in his stump speeches he needs to talk about electing more democrats in congress?
snood

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 07:09 am
"Promises to End Racism in Justice System"

This would be far too ambitious a thing to promise - even for saint Bernie.
I doubt he really said that; but it's still a little reckless use of words even for a news journalist.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 07:13 am
@snood,
He proposes and we have the obligation to make it so.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 07:19 am
@revelette2,
I support Bernie Sanders. But the truth is who we elect to Congress is way more important than which Democrat will be President.

That said,who's running for President and how much excitement he will generate at the polls matters. If one is part of the large group of both parties who have said pretty plainly they are tired of the same old politics and political dynasties, it seems to me that what we do not need to dampen voter turnout by offering the choice of Bush3 vs Clinton2.
snood

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 07:30 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

I support Bernie Sanders. But the truth is who we elect to Congress is way more important than which Democrat will be President.

That said,who's running for President and how much excitement he will generate at the polls matters. If one is part of the large group of both parties who have said pretty plainly they are tired of the same old politics and political dynasties, it seems to me that what we do not need to dampen voter turnout by offering the choice of Bush3 vs Clinton2.

I agree that its very important who gets elected to sit in those Representatives' chairs. But I'm not sure that it is a clearly "more important" thing than the particular Democrat (God willing) who gets to be president. For instance, I think Obama got some things done in spite of Congress, just mostly through force of will and persistence - traits that another dem might not have brought with them. So, the individual makeup of the person residing in the White House matters. Probably the truth is somewhere in the middle - both matter, but the ideal would be a working symbiosis between the executive and legislative.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 08:22 am
@snood,
Absolutelly: A Democratic Congress will work with a Democratic President and compel a less than perfect Democratic President to true to the line.

There's not a doubt in my mind that all the declared Democratic candidates with the exception of Chaffee and including Webb can beat any of the clowns in the clown car easily.

I can't even think of a dark horse GOP candidate in the wings that might even begin to challange either Hillary or Bernie.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 01:08 pm
"Sanders - largest crowd ever at Iowa State Fair Soapbox"-CNN

<snip>A reporter on CNN just said that it was the largest crowd he's ever seen for a Presidential candidate at the soapbox. And this reporter had been to the fair many times.
CSPAN agreed, Bernie draws largest crowd at Iowa State Fair.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/15/1412363/-Bernie-on-the-Soapbox-Liveblog-stream-3pm-today
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 01:18 pm
Breaking Bernie: 21st Century Rat-*******

Deep Throat: What's the topic for tonight?
Bob Woodward: Rat-*******.
Deep Throat: In my day it was called double-cross. In simple context, it means infiltration of the Democrats.

What a difference a few months makes. When I wrote about the state of the presidential race previously, I did not anticipate two events. First, I did not foresee the Republican Party primary race being hijacked by a reality TV star. Lord knows how long Donald Trump will keep sucking up all the oxygen from the rest of the personality-challenged GOP field, but with a personal bankroll nearly eleven figures large (insert your own Spinal Tap joke), the answer appears to be: as long as he goddamn pleases, so suck it, losers! Second, it appears that I was wrong when I placed Senator Bernie Sanders "in the same camp as Martin O'Malley, Jim Webb, Lincoln Chafee and anyone else who wants to throw their hat in the ring: next in line in case Hillary Clinton is photographed abusing an endangered species or in bed with anyone other than Bill."

Sanders clearly is not in the same camp; clearly the man has more campaign savvy than the grassroots-left favorite single-digit polling Kucinich, which I thought he was. Though it is still very, very early, he is currently polling ahead of Clinton 44-37 in the pivotal early voting primary state of New Hampshire. He regularly draws crowds in the tens of thousands, whereas the rest of the candidates struggle to regularly draw crowds in the thousands, with the exception of The Donald, who still exaggerates the size of his crowds to try to keep up with Bernie. Momentum is clearly on Senator Sanders' side. When Bernie speaks, his popularity grows.

There's no such thing as a perfect candidate (philosophically, I think perfect is an imperfect concept), especially in the corrupt unsustainable system we're currently saddled with. Bernie's not about to address what truly ails civilization by changing the way money works so that it's no longer predicated on the debt machine of fiat currency, fractional reserves and compound interest and instead is representative of energy, both the human energy that we produce through our labor and the planet's energy that we utilize. But Bernie has multiple planks in his platform that does address changing the way money is distributed in a significant manner. Reinstating Glass-Steagall, breaking up banks that are "too big to fail," taxing Wall Street speculation, ending offshore tax havens and subsidies to Big Business, and fixing the tax code to alleviate systemic inequalities would be a monumental shake-up of the status quo, perhaps the most serious threat since Robert F. Kennedy's run in 1968.

It is for this reason that I don't believe the system will allow him to win. Not just because of what he stands for, other people have run for the White House on a similar platform, but because of how many people he is reaching. Rather than wait for Sanders to accrue a significant number of delegates so that he has bargaining power at the Democratic Convention in July at Philadelphia, I believe that powerful interests that stand the most to lose from a Sanders administration will work early to try to sabotage his campaign, which on a personal level would sadly make my vote for him in the California primary on June 7 a moot point. For those who find the possibility of such a 'conspiracy' far-fetched, I would point you to the quote at the top of the page and remind you that the movie All the President's Men was based on a true story.

read the rest at the link...

http://americanjudas.blogspot.com/2015/08/breaking-bernie-21st-century-rat-*******.html
snood

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 01:42 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Yeah, I can see where the powers that be might feel that Bernie is a little much of a loose cannon for them to control. It sucks. There are people I know who believe that the true controlling party is neither the Dems or repubs, but a nameless third party of big money slimebags that sits in the shadows like some frikkin illuminati, pulling all the strings of power.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 02:29 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Tangent alert:

RF, as I knew it.
My first year at university started in autumn 1960, when I was the epitome of walking ignorance about much of real life, taking a lot of pre-med classes (silly girl, back then, who did I think I was?). Shy as I was, a lot of people were nice to me and I sort of blossomed mentally and socially because of that. Of course, most of my fellow science students were boys, the word we used then. I worked back then too, so wasn't around campus much, but did study sometimes with people in my classes, still remember their names. One thing I didn't get, was what RF meant. I finally asked Manny, and he told me: Rat Function.
I still didn't get it. He didn't tell me. I told you I was dumb.
Later I had to ask a girlfriend what **** meant, and she wouldn't tell me either.
I didn't get the actual meaning for another while.
A development of friendship with Manny was that he invited me to his wedding, held at Forest Lawn (look it up, it was known to me as a cemetery in the valley). I went to the wedding, lovely. I hope they have had good lives.

This is a long time later, of course, but I will long remember a sort of general use of the word RFing, at least in the science end of campus, none saying rat ******* to me.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 02:31 pm
@snood,
I tend to believe that, too. I think its white, male, corporate, conservative and monied and neither Republican nor Democrat.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 02:33 pm
@ossobuco,
A very nice side-note that was interesting. I enjoyed it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 02:45 pm
You guys are certainly welcome to think all that stuff about people who want to rule the world putting the hammer to Bernie Sanders...

...but, contrarian that I am, my first thoughts when reading that were:

I think any hidden cabal would do anything and everything possible to promote Sanders as much as possible.

The guy simply cannot win a LEGITIMATE election in this country as it is now psychologically constituted...no matter what kind of crowd of true believers he garners.

Any secret cabal looking to maintain its hold on us has to realize that its best friend is the Republican Party...and I cannot imagine any secret cabal looking to favor the Dems over the GOP in any way for any reason.

Hillary is not their woman...or even if they think she could be...the Republicans are much, much, much more reliable.

We'll see how this plays out.

He certainly is getting big crowds.

The adage brought to mind for me is:

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 02:51 pm
@ossobuco,
In 1960, I paid $19.00 fees. There was no tuition. $26.00 the next semester.

Go, Bernie!

The trick then, for many of my friends, was getting to school. My later boyfriend rode his bicycle from the valley; he could do that as he was a mountaineer and a bicycle just involved safety issues.

Access plus transportation is a major problem in the U.S., rather wildly ignored.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 03:05 pm
@ossobuco,
And now its $15k a year minimum for a state school here in Texas.