Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 05:36 am
@hawkeye10,
That's what Obama tried to do and the never stopped heaping **** on him. Bypartisan approaches are dead now, with a radical right firmly in control of the republican party. It's time for a fight.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 05:36 am
@Lash,
Links?
revelette2

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 08:14 am
@Lash,
I have always been open to alternatives to Hillary Clinton. I like Sanders the more I hear from him. I never heard his name before the last couple months so I had a bit to catch up on.

However, I still doubt he will get the democratic primary nomination primarily because he hasn't broken through to minorities. Personally if I was a betting person, I would bet he don't break through.

I'm not sure at this point who will win the next Presidential election, naturally I will vote democrat no matter who wins. In my state, I haven't decided, I go every which way. I might vote for Sanders as I live in KY and it really don't matter who I vote for, it is going to go republican for the President.

One thing I think without much doubt at all, Hillary is not too different than republicans and I think she will run it even more to the center than Bill did and a whole lot more than Obama does which is why I lean more every day towards Bernie Sanders.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 08:29 am
Bernie wants to take on the the erosion of American workers' share of the dream. When people say he is not too different from Hillary, they are glossing over the revolutionary nature of his campaign.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 08:43 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
I would not want to see the race between those two.

We shall see. I trust that Bernie is capable of overturning people's mind, of making his presence felt in the electorate and ghe press. I hope he can break the repukes hold onto congress. If he can't, he'll die trying.

Olivier, I would not like to see him "die trying." Not at all. He is a decent human being with ideas that could improve the lot of humanity in America.

And...I seriously doubt that would be the problem if he ran.

I am worried about him losing...and the Republicans winning the Oval Office...and by extension, the Supreme Court.

In fact, if I were forced to make a sizable bet on whether he would lose or not if he were the candidate...I would not hesitate for a New York second in betting that he will surely lose.

That is what I fear. That the country would have to pay for the dreamers dreaming the dream they are dreaming.
parados

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 09:49 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Bernie's way of addressing minorities is so far mostly in the realm of help them achieve financial success.

That is Trump's message as well. Vote for Trump and he will make us all billionaires like him.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 10:55 am
@parados,
Bernie has an actual plan to fight the oligarchists, of which Trump is one. There is absolutely no resemblance, beyond your language.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 01:46 pm
@Olivier5,
http://theweek.com/articles/566327/donald-trump-vs-bernie-sanders-what-extreme-matchup-reveal-about-american-politics

Start on this one if you like.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 01:47 pm
@Olivier5,
2. http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-07-22/chris-dodd-bernie-sanders-and-donald-trump-tap-the-same-frustration
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 01:49 pm
@Olivier5,
This one leads in saying the media is really into making comparisons between the two. And it's easy to see why - as you stated.

http://www.salon.com/2015/07/07/fox_news_big_bernie_sanders_lie_the_rights_laughably_lame_effort_to_link_donald_trump_and_sanders/
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 01:52 pm
@Olivier5,
I remember that I thought Obama, back then, started discussion at what I would call sort of right middle, this my idea of bad tactics but I'm no tactician, and even that found little compromise.
I think I remember Thomas making the same point, this all a while ago.
roger

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 03:27 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I'm not sure at this point who will win the next Presidential election, naturally I will vote democrat no matter who wins.

At this point, I'm not entirely sure I will be willing to vote for a Republican. Maybe I can let you know after the primaries.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 03:38 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

That's what Obama tried to do and the never stopped heaping **** on him. Bypartisan approaches are dead now, with a radical right firmly in control of the republican party. It's time for a fight.

The masses are polarized, which has been highly encouraged by the elite. There are deep reasons for this but the elite have been opportunists, it is much easier to pick pockets and keep people powerless when you keep them fighting over emotionally powerful but largely trivial matters. When you blame the Right you play into the game, you have been made a chump by the elite. or this would be true if you were an American.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 04:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
In fact, if I were forced to make a sizable bet on whether he would lose or not if he were the candidate...I would not hesitate for a New York second in betting that he will surely lose.

Even against Trump?
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 04:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
When you blame the Right you play into the game

It's a fact that the republicans are far more radical than the democrats. There is no equivalent to the tea party on the left. And i don't see that anyone sane on the left can reach out to the republicans these days. Obama tried hard and all he got is abuse. It's high time to radicalize the left and beat the repukes at their own game.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 04:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Exactly, and it gave the repukes a sense of invincibility. They think they can do whatever and the dems will not fight back.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 04:43 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

Even against Trump?

How horrible to have to say this...and what a scathing indictment of the condition of my country...but...

...yes, even against Donald Trump, Olivier.

I may be dead wrong...but I think the mood of the country at the moment is so dead set against (what is perceived as) the excesses of the far left...the country, in my opinion, would choose a clown like Donald Trump over a man of great substance like Bernie Sanders.

Decent, intelligent people (many of them here) disagree with that assessment with great force. I commend them...but I hold to what I just said.

I also think Bernie Sanders has no chance whatever to get the Dem nod for top of ticket. Hillary may lose out...but it will not be to Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, or anyone else perceived to be of the far left.

And unfortunately, if Hillary is not the Dem candidate, she probably will be replaced in that spot by someone less inclined toward protecting and expanding safety net programs.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 04:53 pm
@Lash,
Thanks Lash, appreciated.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 04:55 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:

It's a fact that the republicans are far more radical than the democrats

He says as Bernie sanders gives Hillary Heart Burn....

Quote:
Obama tried hard and all he got is abuse.

The Professor is a condescending prick, and he got the response that condescending pricks usually get.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2015 04:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Well, let us see. I don;t have a horse in that race but it's certainly an interesting race.

I think Bernie can easily beat Trump. He's got the energy and smarts to make the Donald look as a fool.