edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 09:48 am
New Yorkers For Bernie Sanders
1 hr ยท
We should elect a bearded lesbian asian scientologist former circus ringmaster as President just so we can achieve as many "firsts" as possible to get it over with. Maybe then will these Hillary supporters get over this nonsense "the first woman president" crap and vote for someone based on the issues the candidate stands for instead.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:28 am
@snood,
Quote:
And both of those categories of supporters seem to have at least one thing in common: Complete denial in the face of any evidence of Bernie's flaws.

This isn't true at all, at least not with me.

I believe that Bernie Sanders is a far better candidate than Hillary Clinton. I have given you the list of reasons that I believe that it is true from his positions on big business, his support for single payer and his consistent positions and history with civil rights.

I have never said that Sanders is flawless, I disagree with him on several areas including trade, his age is an issue and there are several places you can legitimately question stances he has taken in the past.

He still is a better candidate on progressive issues than Hillary Clinton has ever been. That's just the fact.

Do you remember that people made the exact same argument about Obama 2008 that you are making now about Bernie? Your post made me chuckle a bit for this reason.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:17 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

And both of those categories of supporters seem to have at least one thing in common: Complete denial in the face of any evidence of Bernie's flaws.

Like what? Of course he got flaws. He is a human being i think.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:18 am
@Olivier5,
I wouldn't trust anyone who claims to have no flaws.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 02:10 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

snood wrote:

Like what? Of course he got flaws. He is a human being i think.

Like making promises so big that he must know they aren't possible. Like promising he'll end the US being #1 in imprisoned people. If Hillary said that, I bet Bernie's followers would call it a lie.
Lash

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 02:29 pm
What constitutes a promise from a candidate?
snood

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 02:50 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

What constitutes a promise from a candidate?

Oh, for the..... constitutes?

Here were his exact words:

"Here's my promise, at the end of my first term as president we will not have more people in jail than any other country."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 02:52 pm
Anybody notice that a criticism of Clinton is hurting the Dems' chance of winning, but criticism of Sanders is just common sense?
Lash

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 03:19 pm
I've heard several criticisms about Bernie's "pie in the sky" promises, so at least a few members here have different criteria for categorizing candidates' goals from their promises.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 03:32 pm
I could respect just honestly admitting a **** up. I admit to Hillary's fuckups. What the Bernites do at any hint of something negative about Bernie is really sickening. Bernie got caught making a promise he can't keep, and he's going to have to answer for it. You guys are the ones making it bigger, by not just saying he was wrong, and going on about your business.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 03:35 pm
@snood,
From Mother Jones:
Quote:
But, as racial-justice activist Deray McKesson pointed out in response, Sanders' promise raises a serious question: Is that even possible, considering that the vast majority of the nation's inmates are held in state, not federal, prisons?
snood

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 03:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

From Mother Jones:
Quote:
But, as racial-justice activist Deray McKesson pointed out in response, Sanders' promise raises a serious question: Is that even possible, considering that the vast majority of the nation's inmates are held in state, not federal, prisons?

All that excerpt does is reiterate that Bernie made an impossible promise.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 03:46 pm
@snood,
You are such a scold.

I like Bernie more than I like Hillary, who I don't trust to walk across a room without turning back. I have a personal dislike of manipulators, even though I do get it that much of life involves it, and feel she is a natural at it. But hey, so probably are all the candidates.

I use first names of potential presidents but they are present ordinary people. I keep rocking back and forth re who to vote for in our New Mexico primary, but don't think it will matter, it's in early June, meh. I want to help the Dem nominee.
Lash

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 03:50 pm
I know Bernie is a thoughtful man who has put a great deal of thought into an infrastructure that he has reason to believe will produce certain outcomes. If Bernie makes a rare promise, I trust he has compelling confidence that his plans will work.

I see that most news orgs say it cannot be done, or is unlikely. I think they may be underestimating the scope of his plan.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-campaign-prisons-20151125-story.html
snood

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:06 pm
@Lash,
You are truly in la-la land as far as Bernie is concerned. He made a promise he cannot keep. Rather than acknowledging the math; acknowledging that he talked just a little too big, you double down and say the rest of the world just doesn't understand Bernie.

Is he a freaking human being who shot off his mouth in the heat of battle, or is he a magician who can somehow change the number of US imprisoned from 2.2 million to less than 1.7 million by the end of one term? Because that's the only way he could fulfill his promise of making the US no longer have the most imprisoned people in the world.

I bet Bernie admits he got a little over his skis. It's just his followers who can't bring themselves to do that.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:25 pm
@maxdancona,
Because we have a republican congress that refuses to spend money on anything but making the rich 1% richer. spending money on health care and food stamps dosent make the military industrial complex or medical insurance complex money.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:29 pm
@ossobuco,
Maybe I am simple but I have the ability to recognize prevarication when I hear it unlike some on this site.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Everyone loved Ronny Raygun and elected him in spite of his flaws. HOW DID THAT WORK OUT FOR THE MAJORITY?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:35 pm
@snood,
I wouldn't admit something is wrong until I know it is. If Bill Clinton can dramatically increase incarceration rates with a law, how much can opposing laws plus other changes in infrastructure - which are designed to benefit the demographic with the highest incarceration rates - reduce the number?

A thinking man who has brooded over this most of his life thinks he knows.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 04:38 pm
@snood,
Yes, I know. I sort of favored Bernie over Hillary, but now it's become a toss up.
0 Replies