Clinton Autobiography Hurts Monica Lewinsky's Feelings

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:59 am
Keep in mind, I'm a prudish snob. I find this news story somewhat incredible.

http://www.magicvalley.com/news/worldnation/index.asp?StoryID=9470

The former White House intern scorned Bill Clinton's explanation that he had an affair with her "just because I could," and accused the former president of failing to correct the record and make clear their relationship was mutual in his new memoir.

In her first public comments on the book, "My Life," Lewinsky accused Clinton of trying to destroy her with his characterization of the affair as something dirty and wrong, and argued the liaison was one of mutual affection.

"I really didn't expect him to go into detail about our relationship" in the book, the 30-year-old Lewinsky said in an interview with The Daily Mail.

"But if he had and he'd done it honestly, I wouldn't have minded. ... I did, though, at least expect him to correct the false statements he made when he was trying to protect the presidency."

"Instead, he talked about it as though I had laid it all out there for the taking. I was the buffet and he just couldn't resist the dessert," she was quoted as saying.

In an interview with Independent Television News broadcast Friday, Lewinsky said she was especially upset by Clinton's assertion on CBS' "60 Minutes" that he embarked on the affair "for the worst possible reason. Just because I could."

"I was really upset when I first heard it," Lewinsky said.

She said she had spent the past several years trying to "move on" and build a life.

"It has been so difficult because of so many of the lies that he has told about me and about what happened," she told ITN.

"I can understand someone wanting to save his presidency. But I don't accept that he had to completely desecrate my character, which not only affected me, but my family, my friends and my future."

Lewinsky noted that when prosecutors began pressuring her about her affair with the president, she was the same age his 24-year-old daughter, Chelsea, is now.

"How would he feel if (Chelsea) was trashed by the person she had had the relationship with -- a person who has denied it to save himself -- if she was called a liar, a stalker, crazy, stupid?" the Daily Mail quoted Lewinsky as saying.

She said Clinton, 57, has tried to rewrite history in his book.

"Having read some accounts of what was in this book, I was already disappointed, but curious," she said. "Probably still a bit naive, thinking, well, maybe there's a surprise, maybe he'll be a different, more mature person than what we have seen in the past few days. But I was wrong," she told ITN.

"I really didn't expect him to talk in detail about the relationship, because he is a married man and he has worked hard to stay married and it would be inappropriate, I think, to discuss the details.

"But what I was hoping, and did expect, was for him to acknowledge and correct the inaccurate and false statements that he, his staff and the DNC (Democratic National Committee) made about me when they were trying to protect the presidency. His strategy to try and defeat (former special prosecutor) Ken Starr was to debase my character."

"In the process he destroyed me."

Lewinsky said her relationship with Clinton had been mutual, "from the way it started, all the way through."

"My memories of it were much more positive. I think that I had enjoyed someone being so happy to see me, and certainly the gifts that were exchanged were touching."

The broadcaster declined to comment when asked whether it had paid Lewinsky for the interview. The Daily Mail did not immediately respond to an inquiry from The Associated Press.

When the story broke, I decided that Clinton was a cad and Ms. Lewinsky was a twit. Now I'm inclined to call Clinton a card-carrying-member of CA (Cads Anonymous) and Ms. Lewinsky an ambitious and deluded twit.

What did she expect? Roses? A share of the royalities? An endorsment of her charms?

Your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,399 • Replies: 73
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:13 pm
Noddy- I may be a tad more liberated than you, but I agree. She is a twit, and he is a cad.

The thing that I find so distressing, is that even today, women hang on to powerful men, thinking that they can be brought into that man's world. The reality is, that when the woman is discarded, the man usually does not lose his station in life, though his reputation might teeter. The woman, on the other hand, is still branded a "whore", even though, as they say, "It takes two to tango".

I could understand how Monica could have been taken in by Clinton, when she was 24. She was still a kid. It most have been very heady stuff to be intimate with the president of the most powerful country in the world. She was a stupid ass, but I could understand how she got herself into this.
At 30, she should have "wisened up", licked her wounds, and been mature enough to keep her mouth shut.

Sadly, even if Monica is 100% correct, and I doubt that, allowing for the intricacies of marital infidelities, her reputation is forever sullied.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:22 pm
Did either of you read the Starr report? It was clear by the quotations in the report that their affair had been a relationship to her, but only a dalliance to him. She really IS a twit not to have realized that by now.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:25 pm
For sure, Monica's name will forever be linked to oral sex. I'm glad her name wasn't Karen... Mr. Green

Monica needs to understand that any man who engages in an affair is going to cover his butt and that his recollection of the affair will be different from the woman he was involved with.

For Monica to compare herself to Chelsea is lame, IMO.

Phoenix, 24 isn't a kid. She was a grown woman who had not, up to that point lead a sheltered life. She flashed her thong at him, remember?

Monica needs to get over herself and get on with her life. I feel bad for any guy who takes her home to meet his mom. "Mom, this is Monica, the girl who gave Bill Clinton blowjobs". Shocked

0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:30 pm
The Punniest thing you said....
Phoenix32890 wrote:
It must have been very heady stuff to be intimate with the president of the most powerful country in the world.

That was PUNNY--I mean, the pun was funny.

Poor Monica. It must be a rude awakening for her to realize that the only reason why this man allowed the good ship lollypop to sail was because the port was open.

Did she really expect that Bill would profess to have genuine feelings for her? After all, she's the one that dribbled and kept the evidence in her closet....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:31 pm
Like I said before, she already polished knobs a plenty by her own admission by the time she got to Bill.

A real social cock climber this one. That doesn't excuse Bill in any way however and I'm not trying to say so.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:32 pm
Quote:
Did either of you read the Starr report?

Eva- No, I never read the report...............was not important to me. It seems to me though, that Clinton's reputation for womanizing was quite well known before the affair with Monica.

Quote:

She flashed her thong at him, remember?

doglover- Yeah, I remember that. What we DON'T know, and will never know, is whether Clinton was sending subtle emotional signals to Monica. Most women, unless she is an utter imbecile, would not flash a thong out of the blue to the president of the U.S.

Could you see anyone flashing a thong to Jimmy Carter, or George Bush?
Kennedy and Johnson maybe!
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:46 pm
There's no doubt in my mind that before Monica flashed her thong at Bill, there had been some flirting going on...a sexual attraction. Actually, I think Bill is pretty hot. Embarrassed

Phoenix...what woman in her right mind would flash Johnson! Kennedy yeah, but LBJ...NO WAY! Mr. Green

I think Monica is extending her long ago expired fifteen minutes of fame...and the money ain't bad either. She made something like $175,000 for doing that interview for a British TV network.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:53 pm
Oh yeah, doglover, Clinton is definitely hot! I would have flirted with him, too. Cool

But JOHNSON?! Shocked Omigod, no! He was so repulsive. Yuck! Yuck! Must get that image out of my mind!!!

Quote:
Poor Monica. It must be a rude awakening for her to realize that the only reason why this man allowed the good ship lollypop to sail was because the port was open.

Debra, she STILL doesn't get it. She thinks they had "a very special relationship" even though he was debating policy matters with senators on the phone while she was blowing him. It's all in the Starr report. <shaking head>
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:58 pm
This is a typical reaction from many single people who get involved with married people. They want to make so much more out of the relationship then there actually was. Of course he told her that she was special and that their relationship was special. But like Phoenix said, at 30, she should have wisened up and kept her mouth shut. She sounds as silly now as she was at 24.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:59 pm
Oh, I don't know Eva. I think Monica 'gets it'. She seems to get off on being a victim...playing the role of a whining woman. Woe is me. I think women like that lack self esteem or they just enjoy being drama queens. I don't know which it is. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:02 pm
eoe wrote:
...she should have wisened up and kept her mouth shut.

It's about eight years too late eoe. Razz
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:08 pm
some women are attracted to power...doesn't matter what the package it comes in looks like. I have met a million of them...if you have, or are perceived to have power over others, like a politician OR a rock singer.....the girls will line up to blow you among other things and no convincing or cajoling is necessary....it's not a reaction to you, it's a reaction to what you do.

There's absolutely no difference between a Washington political slut and a heavy metal slut except the spandex........
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:10 pm
Yep. Grey flannel and blue serge instead of the denim and spandex.
Power is power. Across the board.
But you all have brought up a good point. Can Monica still be so naive or is this new whining period all about making a buck?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:15 pm
Actually, Monica managed to turn her notoriety to good use: the diet contract, the handbag business, some sort of job in the Big Apple.

I'm baffled that she obviously considers herself one of The Grand Horizontals, a footnote in the History of the Western World. Perhaps some little corner of Clinton's heart will be "forever Monica". That's his business--not hers, not ours.

At least Clinton the Cad accepted that his little twit was a blabbermouth.

Clinton was trying to "destroy her, desecrate her character" with his characterization of adultery as wrong? Clinton's actions "not only affected me, but my family, my friends and my future"?

What about her actions? Didn't her actions contribute to the situation?

I read the news story on top of another A2K thread:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=762014#762014 ,

in which another woman articulates the unfair difficulty of resisting a Grand Passion--which, of course, is Not Her Fault.

This sort of thinking is related to the Pregnant Pure Girl phenomenon: I won't prepare with contraception because I am a Pure Girl. Then the Pure Girl is Swept Away By Passion and baby makes three.

You've come a long way, baby? The mind boggles.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:15 pm
doglover wrote:
I feel bad for any guy who takes her home to meet his mom. "Mom, this is Monica, the girl who gave Bill Clinton blowjobs". Shocked

And that really is kind of sad, when you think about it. Do you think Monica could be accepted by anyone's mother?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:20 pm
I just did some Googling and the handbag business is temporarily suspended.

Several years ago I read that LBJ was quite indignant when the word of JFK's extra-marital shenanigans became common talk. I can't remember the exact quote but it was something like, "I've fucked more women than that Yankee has had hot dinners."

Put me in the category that recognizes LBJ's animal magnetism. Does anyone else remember him dancing after White House dinners until the orchestra pleaded for mercy?
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:23 pm
eoe wrote:
doglover wrote:
I feel bad for any guy who takes her home to meet his mom. "Mom, this is Monica, the girl who gave Bill Clinton blowjobs". Shocked

And that really is kind of sad, when you think about it. Do you think Monica could be accepted by anyone's mother?

It's hard to believe a Jewish mother would ever be able to accept her. Confused

While Monica's situation is unique, there are millions of women...and more than a few women on A2K, I bet, whose mother in laws have never really accepted them or even liked them very much, yet they muddle through the holidays and family get togethers and the daily annoyances because they love their husbands and their marriage.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:25 pm
But they don't have the public history that this girl has.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 02:08 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I read the news story on top of another A2K thread:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=762014#762014 ,

in which another woman articulates the unfair difficulty of resisting a Grand Passion--which, of course, is Not Her Fault.

This sort of thinking is related to the Pregnant Pure Girl phenomenon: I won't prepare with contraception because I am a Pure Girl. Then the Pure Girl is Swept Away By Passion and baby makes three.

You've come a long way, baby? The mind boggles.

Yes! Indeed! Women have come a long way--and just like the male gender--women still have a long way to go before they will ever reach perfection. God FORBID if a woman should struggle with issues of sexuality and passion--that's not a pure thing for a woman to do--let's heap on the condemnation.

Monica will forever be known as the foolish (slutty) girl who sucked the president. Bill is simply the guy who strayed, came to his senses, and wrote a book that espouses the virtues of fidelity (or the virtues of not getting caught so that you don't have to write a book that includes an apologizing account and condemnation of adultery). Neither of them considered the long-term consequences of getting caught.

The obvious point: We live in a world of double standards. (Which is probably why women struggle with their sexuality so much more than men do--they fear the inevitable condemnation.)
0 Replies