Dogz

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:35 pm
@Dutchy,
Overall I suppose so.

What book are you reading at the moment?
Dutchy

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 08:35 pm
@Dogz,
Dutch discovery of Australia (in Dutch lol)

Do you like reading?
devriesj

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 02:27 pm
@Dutchy,
Yes, quite a bit.

Do you like it more than a2k? Wink
Dutchy

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 03:17 pm
@devriesj,
No, but a2k has gone very quiet, need something to do. lol

Do you like history?

Dogz

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 03:22 pm
@Dutchy,
Not particularly. More of a science person than history.

Can you ski? (water or snow?)
Dutchy

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 07:42 pm
@Dogz,
Have done both.

What are your hobbies?
babsatamelia

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 04:30 pm
@Dutchy,
Mountains, camping, hiking, biking, laying in tent reading, moonlight, sound of the stream next to my tent. Whenever I can do it.
Who are you thinking about voting for??
Dutchy

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 05:34 pm
@babsatamelia,
Living downunder prevents me from voting. LOL

Is voting for a new President compulsory in the US?
babsatamelia

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:44 pm
@Dutchy,
Lucky you|!!! No, it certainly is not. When do you have elections??
Dutchy

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 10:59 pm
@babsatamelia,
Our Federal election is in 2010 at the earliest, or 2011 at the latest and is compulsory.

Do you think a female President would make a huge difference?
aidan

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 06:27 pm
@Dutchy,
No, not really.

In what ways do you think females think differently than males?
Dutchy

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 03:28 am
@aidan,
Difficult one Aidan and could take pages to answer but in a nutshell, I believe men and women do think in different ways. Not that this is a bad thing. Women are emotional, governed by ties of affection, while men are rational and governed by principles of reason.

As an American why do you choose to live in the UK?

aidan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 02:43 pm
@Dutchy,
I just love it. I'd never been here before I came here to live and I didn't have a clue as to what I was getting myself into or even where I was coming to live. I only knew it was near Bristol - in Somerset - but that was it.
Well, it's stunningly beautiful. The people are lovely - I've made the most wonderful friends. My children feel comfortable here and I feel this is a good place for them.
I do miss America - a lot. I love it in a lot of ways - but in terms of the way I want to live my life - England is more up my alley. I hope to figure out some way to spend three months in America and the rest of the year here. I actually had lunch with my friend to see if he'd partner with me - so he can take over and I can get a break and a nice long spell to visit family and friends in the US.

Have you ever met someone or gone somewhere that you've just immediately felt - this place/person feels like 'home' to me?
Dutchy

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 03:11 pm
@aidan,
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3476/laketaupolrg.jpg
I visited New Zealand some years ago and sat on the balcony overlooking Lake Taupo above, it was incredible serene, with the snow capped mountains in the background and a volcano blowing smoke. I had already toured this incredible scenic Country but that particular morning was the icing on the cake. I could have easily stayed there forever, alas my professional working career was in Australia besides my spouse wouldn't have a bar of it. End of story. Smile

What is the most beautiful place you have visited in your life?
aidan

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 03:30 pm
@Dutchy,
Dutchy - I just got a postcard from friends of mine who are in New Zealand right now - and another couple I know went last month - and they reiterate exactly what you've stated- that it's the most beautiful place they've travelled - and they've travelled quite a lot. I'm really anxious to go there.

Dutchy asked:
Quote:
What is the most beautiful place you have visited in your life?

where I lived last year in New York was extremely beautiful - I loved Athens- but the place that really 'speaks' to me is where I live right now:http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/aidan_010/creaation.jpg
This picture hasn't been photoshopped- those are the real colors - that's Glastonbury Tor in the background.

Did you ever imagine when you were growing up that you'd live so far away from where you were born? Or if someone else answers this and you haven't moved far away from where you were born - did you think when you were little that you'd live right where you started out?
Dutchy

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 04:00 pm
@aidan,
Yes I did Aidan. The future of Europe didn't look great after WWII and my father was forever talking of emigrating to another Country, he talked of Argentina, Canada, South Africa but finally settled, thank God, for Australia. Have been back to my Country of birth a number of times and although very memorable could never settle there again, to me Australia is the lucky Country with its wide open spaces and climate to match despite its natural disasters.

What would you prefer a trip around the world in a Plane or an Ocean Liner?

(That picture you posted is also extremely beautiful Aidan, would love to vist that area. Have been to the UK twice but never went outside London)
aidan

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 05:42 am
@Dutchy,
Quote:
(That picture you posted is also extremely beautiful Aidan, would love to vist that area. Have been to the UK twice but never went outside London)

Thanks Dutchy - if you do come to England you'll have to come visit me in Somerset- and I could show you some beautiful places for sure. London is a beautiful city and I've spent days just walking around it - but the countryside is England's real treasure as far as I'm concerned. For a small island- it really does have just about any sort of landscape you can imagine (except desert).

Quote:
What would you prefer a trip around the world in a Plane or an Ocean Liner?

I think plane - just because it'd help me get back on the ground quicker. I like exploring the sights on land- so train, driving, walking would be my three most favored methods of transport.

I know you have a brother - are you the 'big' or 'little' brother and do you still fall into whichever role you grew up in when you're together?
Dutchy

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 06:29 am
@aidan,
I am the 'big' brother but only by 12 months though, nevertheless I have always been regarded as the head of the family by him and my sister, who in turn is 12 years younger than me. Both brother and sister always came, and still do, to me and discussed things when important decisions were to be made.

Do you have any close relatives left in the US?

(Thank you for the invite Aidan, don't know though if I'll ever be able to fulfil that wish).
aidan

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 06:35 am
@Dutchy,
Quote:

Do you have any close relatives left in the US?

My mom and dad, one brother, three sisters, ten nephews and two nieces.
(and then a huge extended family in Texas - my father was one of eight brothers- all of whom married and had numerous children).

I read an article in the guardian yesterday about locus of control. Are you comfortable providing leadership - or do you sometimes wish you could look to someone else to provide leadership?
Dutchy

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 07:05 am
@aidan,
Leadership was something I grew into during my career, and a part I always enjoyed. During my last 8 1/2 years before my retirement I was one of 5 Commanders leading a workforce of 4500 people. Since my retirment I look to my wife for leadership. Smile

Do you believe men and women can perform on equal basis in the work forcce?

(Time for bed downunder, have a nice day Aidan)