spendius

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 04:19 pm
They are both great subjects and are both intimately entwined in sexual politics.

So-what makes people tick then?

*and it's that time again.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 04:39 pm
*What, pub time?
All different things make different people tick. What's fascinating to me is 1) getting to know individuals and 2) noting like behaviors in people in all different kind of groups - I'm completely fascinated, I tell ya!

Gotta go get halloweening myself!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 05:59 pm
I'm fascinated myself.

Why do you go "halloweening"?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 06:00 pm
And why did you not ask a question?
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 07:44 pm
Sorry. In a bit of a hurry, I guess. I was referring to trick-or-treating. It's not done in England? Kids dressed up in costumes going from door to door, folks giving out candy and visiting. It's quite fun. Some have / go to halloween parties (it's not just for kids!)

So, my question is do you not "celebrate" halloween in Britain?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 11:22 am
Some of the kids do but they don't dress up or have any visiting or parties.It's seen as a form of begging with an implied threat.Only a tiny minority bother with it.Most of us consider it disgraceful behaviour. Knocking at doors not knowing whether somebody is sick or asleep or other things where one wouldn't want to be disturbed.
According to the latest English etiquette standards it is considered naff and common and low class to know your next door neighbour's name and not to be able to even recognise them is gold star stuff.Visiting went out of fashion years ago.

When the kids have gone to bed do orgies start up to keep the witch spirit alive or is it all just another excuse for some competitive conspicuous consumerism?
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 11:40 am
More the latter, and it's very much a neighborhood thing too. Those who are participating are pretty obvious. For one thing they at least have a front porch light on (others just turn their light off - no problem). Others go all out with halloween decorations or mock horror scenes - like cemetaries... Kind of ironic being that it's all in fun!

Is there a holiday that you would say is particular to Britain (or Europe) that others - say, we yanks, don't celebrate?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:42 pm
The only one I think is a possibility is May Day.It used to be a celebration of working class power but it has come to be just one of about six Bank Holiday mondays.The workers are now so efficient that they have to think up ways to slow them down to stop the pile of junk they make from swamping everything.They've just announced six months paternity leave for men.

So you have rate busters in the Halloween set up as well do you?
As we are doing "what makes people tick" why do you think some people have to make a bigger splash than the average?
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 03:06 pm
Hmmmmmmm ... Isn't THAT a loaded question!Depends on the person of course, assuming they pursued "greatness", off the cuff I'd say 1) trying to prove oneself 2) overcoming a past difficulty 3) being super intelligent and an over achiever... tons of variables here!

What's your take?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 03:53 pm
If I remember correctly, you Yanks do not celebrate Boxing Day, am I right?

Don't you think Christmas is the biggest consumer rip off ever?
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 06:00 pm
You're right, we don't celebrate Boxing Day. Do you really box all your Christmas stuff up the day after Christmas?
Yeah, Christmas can be a real rip-off, but it's about the meaning of the season and getting together with family and friends...

Hey, no one answered my question up there, so it stands. Math-y dear, we're talking about what makes people tick and why (and not just you - sex!).
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 06:41 pm
I presume dev that you mean "What's your take?"

I don't have one.I take it as it comes.

I'm sorry for neglecting you tonight.I have been studying on the Science and Mathematics forum.

You're not mad at me are you?
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 06:49 pm
Not a bit. Math isn't my strong suite, but I love science. Learn anything you can share?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 11:00 am
I've picked up a lot of information but it isn't easy to stitch it together yet.When I do,if I do,that's when I'll have learned something.I suppose one thing I have learned is that there is a lot of stubbornness around.I try not to get married to any ideas until I've worked out whether they are worth getting married to.It's one of the ways I tick.

Do you operate like that?
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 04:14 pm
Yeah, I suppose you could say that. ...
I just realized I've left this page sit out on my computer all day. A little boy I sometimes sit for and the son of neighbors is in the ICU in hospital. I have his older sister at home for his mom, while dad, the symphony concert master is at work. I "suffer" from severe empathy (part of what makes me a good counselor), and can't help thinking what it's like for my friend to be with her son sick and helpless. I'm praying for her just the same.
Forgive my "melancholia"?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 06:08 pm
You are hereby forgiven anything you may wish to do.

I don't pray myself but you don't mind my wishing do you?
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 06:42 pm
I don't mind, and thank you. While you're wishing will you send some Letty's way? Her husband just passed away today.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 06:49 pm
Oh dev.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Wed 2 Nov, 2005 07:00 pm
Not a very happy day. Lots of sadness around here for me and other friends close to me as well.
Here's hoping tomorrow will be better?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Nov, 2005 06:05 pm
Hello again my sweet leetle tender cheekin'.

Is everything OK?
0 Replies