Politician caught in sex scandal!

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 02:30 pm
WASHINGTON - Illinois senatorial candidate Jack Ryan abruptly abandoned his bid for Congress on Friday, succumbing to a furor over sex club allegations that horrified fellow Republicans and made him a target of late-night comedians.

Story

The allegations

Jack Ryan's statements on the importance of family and the sanctity of marriage

The woman that all the fuss is about:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/adamdavini/jeri%20ryan%20-%20silver%20body.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,856 • Replies: 67
No top replies

blatham

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:17 pm
She reminds me of my mother.

The fellow who looks quite interesting in all of this is Obama.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:20 pm
The growing consensus here in Illinois is that if Jack Ryan was married to Jeri Ryan (see picture, above), and could have had sex with her pretty much whenever they were in the mood, why would he ever want to go to a sex club?

I think voters were questioning his judgment rather than his morals.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:23 pm
Barack Obama has already been tagged as a rising star in the Democratic Party. Barring some unforseen sex scandal of his own, Obama will definitely take the senate race in Illinois.

(and now, for some reason, I find myself having weird fantasies involving Blatham's mom)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:25 pm
Seven of Nine . . . drool, drool, pant, pant, pant . . .
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:26 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Barack Obama has already been tagged as a rising star in the Democratic Party. Barring some unforseen sex scandal of his own, Obama will definitely take the senate race in Illinois.

(and now, for some reason, I find myself having weird fantasies involving Blatham's mom)

If you're right about Obama, it's a real loss to Illinois. Ryan would have been the best candidate. Obama has the academic credentials, but not the real street smarts. He's not as good a long term candidate as is Jesse Jackson Jr.

I'm sorry Ryan is pulling out. He's a dam good looking IrishMan with real smarts. Razz
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:28 pm
How many Ryans do you have in Illinois? Would you consider voting for another surname?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:28 pm
blatham wrote:
She reminds me of my mother.

The fellow who looks quite interesting in all of this is Obama.

Looks good on paper. But time will tell. Cool
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 03:29 pm
patiodog wrote:
How many Ryans do you have in Illinois? Would you consider voting for another surname?

How many Ryans? Probably over 50,000 in the whole State.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 06:54 am
Miller wrote:
If you're right about Obama, it's a real loss to Illinois. Ryan would have been the best candidate.

Ryan would have been a good candidate for the GOP, but he still would have lost. Even before the scandal he was trailing Obama by a wide margin.

Miller wrote:
Obama has the academic credentials, but not the real street smarts. He's not as good a long term candidate as is Jesse Jackson Jr.

I have no idea what his "street smarts" are, although he started off as a community activist. As for Jackson Jr., he has a lot of negatives that come from his family connections. The Jacksons are not universally beloved in Illinois -- not by either party. I have serious doubts that, outside his southside congressional district, Jackson would pull in much support from the rest of the state.

patiodog wrote:

Well, for a while there it looked like there were two political parties in Illinois: the Democrats and the Ryans. Personally, I'd vote for Jeri Ryan, regardless of her party affiliation.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 06:56 am
JOE:

If Illinois finally gets it's first Afro-American US Senator, how long ( if ever) before there's a black Illinois Governor?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:12 am
Miller wrote:
JOE:

If Illinois finally gets it's first Afro-American US Senator, how long ( if ever) before there's a black Illinois Governor?

Obama would be Illinois's second African-American senator. Does the name Carol Mosely-Braun ring a bell?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:24 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Miller wrote:
JOE:

Obama would be Illinois's second African-American senator. Does the name Carol Mosely-Braun ring a bell?

It does ring a bell. Cool
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 09:23 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Miller wrote:
JOE:

You know, Joe, i'm beginning to be concerned about your attitude. In that other Ryan thread, you tried to explain Republican politics in Illinois to Foxfyre, and here you are expecting one of our members to know that there was an African-American Senator, who was also incidentally a recent Democratic presidential candidate.

If you keep confusing people with the facts, you're going to create an unpleasant atmosphere for people. Lighten up, Joe.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 09:31 am
set

It's a delight to see you.

I think I shall permit you and Joe to share mom.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 09:32 am
Can she cook?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 10:17 am
Setanta wrote:
If you keep confusing people with the facts, you're going to create an unpleasant atmosphere for people. Lighten up, Joe.

Sorry. I must have been distracted by thoughts of blatham's mom. Cooking. In the kitchen.

mmmmmm, blatham's mom.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:24 am
Mom, though she frequently wore one of those French-maid aprons, never cooked. We'd get TV dinners and such them raw.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 07:47 pm
Check out the Drudge report today.

The Superior Court judge said the public's right to know overrides privacy rights for Jack and Mrs. Ryan's child and ordered the sealed divorce papers unsealed and made public. This was over the objections of the divorced couple. The GOP felt Ryan was too badly damaged to continue and asked him to drop out. Well and good said the Democrats.

Now it seems the media is in a dilemma on whether to go after Kerry's sealed divorce papers from 1988. They have to play fair, right? The campaign is asserting those sealed papers are nobody's business.

If the public had a right to know regarding a canidatte for US Senator, then wouldn't it have a right to know regarding a candidate for US President?

Get ready Hillary. If there's something interesting in those papers, here's your chance.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 07:59 pm
Absolutely. Let's be consistent. On the same afternoon when Kerry's divorce papers are unsealed, all incumbent politicians and those running against them will also have their divorce papers, where applicable, unsealed.

Then, we'll further press the notion of the undeniable value of transparency to the White House.

This is a very good idea.
0 Replies