Exonerated murder convict rejects prosecutor's apology

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 04:04 pm

How many people go to jail, for crimes that the did not commit, because a Prosecutor wants to win and will attempt to win at all costs...........

In this case, this guy has months to live now freed with nil compensation.

Power. Politics/ Law / - equates to power - the hunger of so much who cares if someone dies.

It's a bit late to try to exonerate what this particular prosecutor did, he is only seeking forgiveness for exercising his "power" at any costs.

I am sure there are 100's of cases like this...........

Quote:
An US man who served more than 30 years in prison for a murder he did not commit has rejected an apology from the man who put him behind bars.

Glenn Ford, from Shreveport, Louisiana, who has been diagnosed with cancer since his release, agreed to meet with former prosecution attorney Marty Stroud.

But when faced with the man who robbed him of 31 years, Mr Ford still was not ready to bury the hatchet.

"It happened," he told Mr Stroud. "I'm sorry that I can't forgive you. I really am."

Plagued by guilt over his win-at-all-costs prosecution in the flawed 1984 case, Mr Stroud had issued a mea culpa to the editor of local newspaper The Shreveport Times.

"I was arrogant, judgemental, narcissistic and very full of myself," he said in the letter.

"I was not as interested in justice as I was in winning."

Quote:
But he wanted to apologise in person, admitting that he didn't pursue information that could have cleared Mr Ford in the fatal shooting of watch dealer Isadore Rozeman.

He even worked to pick an all-white jury, which would eventually sentence the African-American gardener to death for the murder of his employer.

Mr Ford was finally released in March 2014 after a judge found there was credible evidence to exonerate him of the crime.

However, the timing of his release was bittersweet with the newly freed man then diagnosed with fatal lung cancer and given just months to live.

The state has also refused to pay Mr Ford US$330,000 as compensation for his lost years.

Now gaunt and chair-bound, Mr Ford says he wants to focus on his health rather than revenge.

While he could not bring himself to forgive Mr Stroud, he did wish him well.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/04/21/16/53/exonerated-murder-convict-rejects-prosecutors-apology#M1SMcmKh7ZHdK7mo.99
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,566 • Replies: 10

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 09:37 pm
Abuses of power such as this are what keeps me from respecting our courts. It is too frequent to be a solitary individual gone astray.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 01:08 am
Between the lawyers and the capitalists, this planet is hell for most of its inhabitants.
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 04:33 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Justice is never served when you Just seek convictions and do not search for truth.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 05:13 am
Every prosecutor in this country should be required to listen to a dozen or so of the old radio show, "Mr. District Attorney."

Each episode began with the announcer saying:

"Mr. District Attorney...Champion of the People...Defender of Truth...Guardian of our fundamental right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

Then the district attorney would respond:

"And it shall be my duty as district attorney not only to prosecute to the limit of the law all persons accused of crimes perpetrated within this county, but to defend with equal vigor the rights and privileges of all its citizens."

That last part seems to be dead these days.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 06:54 am
And this is not the bigger problem, the falsely accused, now old and with cancer, still have the police records implying him as arrested and guilty of a crime.

And this is the worst crime the US Department of Justice does, when records of arrests made by police mistake or incompetence must be erased from the system at the cost of the victim.

There should be a "law" where when police make errors, malicious arrests, incompetence, and similar, that as soon the victim of those arrests is proven non-guilty, those charges to be automatically erased from the system.

This is the "less" the US Department of Justice must do.

Unfortunately, there is no justice in the US for these cases, where the prosecutor must pay for his "crime" as part of a compensation for the victim, because to say that "he is sorry" is not enough, that prosecutor must pay for the 30 years of shame and suffering caused to an innocent man.

Put that ~#:/~ prosecutor in jail as well.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 02:31 pm
@carloslebaron,
Quote:
Put that ~#:/~ prosecutor in jail as well.

Actually that's a good point, this prosecutor admitted to deliberately setting him up, surely he deserves therefore to be found guilty of "something" and spend time in jail.

Morally yes, but with in the laws over there?

roger

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 04:20 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Agree, but with our statutes of limitations it probably couldn't be done.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 04:27 pm
In the infamous Duke Lacrosse Team case, the prosecutor was disbarred from practicing law.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/06/16/duke.lacrosse/
0 Replies

GoodNews2015

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2015 06:30 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
I know of a case right now in St. Louis. It's awful. "Law grows crooked"
The ego gets in the way a lot. Don't get me wrong I appreciate law and order but the system is almost broken. The sentences often don't match the crimes and the "win at all cost" pervades.
Earlier quote from the book of Habakkuk 1:4 - crazy it was foretold long time ago.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 03:37 pm
@GoodNews2015,
Quote:
"Law grows crooked"

Yep like Indonesia condemning the Bali 9 to 20 years, "allegedly" then were not able to score $$$$ from their family so changed it to the death sentence.

Whilst those kids did wrong, they have done a hell of a lot of good over the past 10 years within the system.

RIP kids, Bali is boycotted from me
0 Replies