Does floppy here mean hanging limply?

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 11:42 am

Context:

When Stephen Fesik left the pharmaceutical industry to launch an academic drug-discovery laboratory, he drew up a wanted list of five of the most important cancer-causing proteins known to science. These proteins drive tumour growth but have proved to be a nightmare for drug developers: they are too smooth, too floppy or otherwise too finicky for drugs to bind to and block. In the parlance of the field, they are 'undruggable'.

More:
http://www.nature.com/news/cancer-the-ras-renaissance-1.17326
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 776 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 01:00 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:
Does floppy here mean hanging limply?

It usually means that, but it's difficult to imagine a molecule behaving like that. Here it seems to mean that they are too soft and intractable for the intended drug combination to lock on to.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 01:25 pm
Floppiness does not necessarily involve hanging. A jellyfish is floppy. If something is floppy it is yielding, soft and flexible.

McTag

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 03:22 pm
@contrex,

I don't agree with that. A jellyfish is only floppy if you hold it up (so that it flops). Otherwise it's yielding, soft and flexible.
contrex

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 05:00 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

I don't agree with that. A jellyfish is only floppy if you hold it up (so that it flops). Otherwise it's yielding, soft and flexible.

I don't agree that a thing has to be held up to be floppy. A floppy disk is floppy compared to a rigid one whichever orientation you hold it in. Likewise a jellyfish or any other flaccid thing.

McTag

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 06:09 am
@contrex,

We can agree to disagree. The word is onomatapoeic. Flip, and flop. It needs to be hand-held (or otherwise free to move, as in dangling) to do that.
imho.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 06:30 am
I think the "they" means proteins in the tumors.

Floppy can mean "loosely moveable."

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 06:32 am
There you go. I think I can see a difference between something being (acting) floppy (behaving in a floppy manner) and being floppy (having a floppy nature).

0 Replies