conditional sentences and wishes

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 09:12 am
Dear Friends and Teachers,

In English grammar, The English use , I wish ... would ... for actions and changes not for situations.

E.g. I wish Sarah were/was here now (not "I wish Sarah would be here now.")

And my question is this: but do the English say,

A) I wish the weather would be nice tomorrow or B) I wish the weather were/was nice tomorrow. ? As you can see from my example sentences given next above, this time we are talking about tomorrow's weather.

Which one is correct? A) or B)

looking forward to getting your response,

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,074 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by ificouldreturnit
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 09:50 am
@ificouldreturnit,
When I was in school, they taught this as the "conditional subjunctive"...although that was later changed to "subjective" and "conditional."

When I was in school the teacher would insist that the sentence be phrased, "I wish Sarah were here now."

Modern thought seems to have moved away from such a strict grammar...and would say that "I wish Sarah was here now" or "I wish Sarah would be here now"...are both acceptable...although I suspect some purists would argue that those two sentences express subtly different ideas.

If I were writing the sentence I would use, "I wish Sarah were here now."

Some people might disagree strongly with me on this...so I think you will not get a definitive answer on this.
ificouldreturnit

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 10:11 am
@Frank Apisa,
Dear Frank Apisa,

I really appreciate you for your reply! And again thanks!
Let's see, how the other members will answer my question.
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 11:28 am
@ificouldreturnit,
ificouldreturnit wrote:
A) I wish the weather would be nice tomorrow or B) I wish the weather were/was nice tomorrow. ?

Which one is correct? A) or B)

Neither is correct. We use "I wish...that...were" and "I wish ...that...would" about the present or immediate future:

I wish that Sarah were here (Sarah is not here)
I wish that the sun would shine (it is not shining)

I wish that Sarah would come (now or very soon)
I wish that the sun would shine (now or very soon)

For the more distant future we would use "hope...that" when we do not know whether something will happen or not but we want it to happen:

I hope that the weather is nice tomorrow/next week/when I am in Spain next June
I hope that Sarah comes tomorrow
I hope that the sun shines tomorrow
I hope that Jane comes to see me later.

In casual conversation 'that' is often omitted.

ificouldreturnit

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 10:16 am
@contrex,
First of all, let me thank you for your help. Why "I wish Sarah were here now" is correct, but why "I wish the weather were nice tomorrow" would be incorrect?
You mean, we can never talk about tomorrow's weather using "wish clause" in English grammar?
contrex

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 02:37 pm
@ificouldreturnit,
ificouldreturnit wrote:
Why "I wish Sarah were here now" is correct, but why "I wish the weather were nice tomorrow" would be incorrect?

Because we use wish clauses about the past, present or future, about things that are known, that we wish were otherwise: Sarah was not here yesterday (I wish she had been); Sarah is not here today (I wish she were); Sarah won't be here tomorrow (I wish she was going to be).

Quote:
You mean, we can never talk about tomorrow's weather using "wish clause" in English grammar?

That is correct. We do not know for certain what tomorrow's weather will be. We can say "I wish it wasn't Monday tomorrow", but only "I hope it won't rain tomorrow".
ificouldreturnit

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 05:04 am
@contrex,
Finally, I got your explanation, but I admit that "wish clause" turned out to be a little bit confusing for me. Thanks so much for sharing your English with me.
0 Replies