Saddam wasn't half bad....

SCoates

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:36 pm
i don't understand, if the effects are so small percentage-wise, why do you want to keep it? Is it just the principle?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:41 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Well first Craven, we do not have a democracy.

So?

Quote:
We have a republic specifically to be sure those of us out in dirtwater land are on more equal footing than those in New York City.

No kiddin? That's what I'm complaining about. I don't like that some are "more equal" than others.

Quote:
And second, I'm not in favor of one man one vote in some cases. Personally I think those who are paying taxes and doing volunteer work in their communities and creating jobs and building schools deserve at least as much, if not more, consideration than those who are supported by the system. Where do most of the people supported by the system live? In the big metropolitan areas. I'll vote to keep the electoral college.

The majority of the people who support the system are also in the metropolitan areas. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:44 pm
SCoates wrote:
i don't understand, if the effects are so small percentage-wise, why do you want to keep it? Is it just the principle?

No, it works like this (for both sides).

For the one who wants to keep it: The reasons for keeping it are significant. The reasons for changing it are negligible.

For the one who wants to change it: The reasons for changing it are significant. The reasons for keeping it are negligible.

;-)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:50 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Florida may well be a populous state but it was also a state that decided the election against the popular vote.

Did it? Maybe it was NY or CA or WY that decided the EC vote. FL controlled what? 15 or so EC votes out of 500+ total votes? FL didn't decide the show by their little lonesomes. Wink

FL got the press because they couldn't get their sh** all in one sock. If they had finished voting and counting as they normally did people would be blaming HI and AK because their's were the last polls to close. If every other state had sent their EC delegates to vote for Gore what FL did wouldn't have mattered one bit.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:53 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
SCoates wrote:

No, it works like this (for both sides).

For the one who wants to keep it: The reasons for keeping it are significant. The reasons for changing it are negligible.

For the one who wants to change it: The reasons for changing it are significant. The reasons for keeping it are negligible.

;-)

lol Well, to some extent that's true I suppose. But mostly I just think we could expend the energy necessary to eleiminate the EC on lots of other things that would have a much higher payback. Getting voting machines that work is a much higher priority to me than the EC is...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:54 pm
Good point. Just before you posted I realized that they might not have decided it and that my impression might have been based on them being last.

Turns out I was wrong both times though and last wasn;t it either.

It sure as hell wasn't CA or NY though, it went the other way.

Ultimately, I do think that what I am trying to get at (clumsily) is valid, and that the EC and segmentation of the popular vote contributes to there being small demographics that are inordinately powerful.

Like the Cuban expats in FL and the steelworkers in PA.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:46 pm
Craven writes:
Quote:
Florida may well be a populous state but it was also a state that decided the election against the popular vote.

The count spread in one U.S. city, New York and/or possible L.A., was more than enough to have decided the election based on a popular vote.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:51 pm
Yeah, that brainfart was already addressed above by fishin'.

What wasn't yet addresses is whether the segmentation of teh vote and the EC creates minority lobbies such as the Cuban expats with inordinate power over the nation.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:54 pm
Abolish the senate.
0 Replies