Saddam wasn't half bad....

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:05 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
You really think scrapping the EC is that big of a deal fishin?

It rarely ever makes a difference, except in the symbolism people attach to it I think it is a simple cog to alter.

I think it's a huge deal mentally to the people that live in the less populated states. Perhaps that's because I've almost always lived in the least populated regions of some very low population states but when you live in the boonies it's pretty easy to see that your voice gets over looked at pretty much every level.

People form populated ares don't have to much problem convincing the Congress to vote to dump nuclear waste out in the midle of AZ or NM and the people in the larger cities don't have much problem getting the state governments to force the small towns to accept their garbage, sewage and prisons. Anything that the "NIMBY" folks don't want in their cities or towns gets dumped on the poor schmucks out in the boonies were no one else has to look at it or smell it. But when those same cities need more water they also don't have much problem getting the government to dam up rivers and divert water and if a small town or two has to disappear for that to happen that's just to bad for them.

In my own experience, people in the cities don't really give a damn what happens out in the boonies until they decide they want to take a vacation and get away from it all and then they complain about how the government has let it all go to hell. Razz They don't care if people have jobs in the woods as long as they can get out there with their cameras and take pictures of those spotted owls or the snail darter.

It may not seem like getting rid of the EC is a big deal to you but to those people that get dumped on every day it's a much bigger deal. It's not a simple cog to eliminate either. Being that it's written into the Constitution it means passing an amendment which is not an easy thing to get done. I can think of several thousand things that could be done much easier and are more worthy of people's time and energy.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:12 pm
SCoates wrote:
Something like the Senate or Judicial system does not in fact check directly on majority opinion, but on elected representatives who should reflect that opinion.

Huh? How is the judicial system not a direct check on democracy? People vote for something and the court rules it unconstitutional. Your vote then means nothing. That's pretty darn direct! The same issue with the Congress. 200 million people can go and vote for something in this country but it can only become law if the Congress agrees to vote for it. If they vote it down then the issue is dead.

Quote:
I believe the electoral college is in fact a different issue as there is no middle man--it directly distorts the voice of the people, rather than being a check or balance set up against corruption.

The only difference between the EC and the Congress or the Judicial branch is that the EC check comes prior to getting into office and then goes away for 4 years. The checks with the Congress and Judicial branch come after the people are in office and remain in place every single day.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:18 pm
Perhaps you're right, but I can't help seeing it as two different issues. I definitely have a bone to pick with the Judicial system, but I feel the only influence it has had on me has been local. The electoral college affects one of my few opportunities to have a voice at a national level, and it can be abolished far more easily than the judicial system could even be revised.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:22 pm
fishin
If your voice as one from the boonies already gets overlooked at every level, then the checks and balances are pretty meaningless for you anyway, aren't they?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:25 pm
I think that's a fairly common view SCoates. I'm not sure how accurate it really is if you break it down though. The EC only affects your vote for the President. You still have a House and Sentate voice at the national level and 90% of what the President does is based on what comes to them from the Congress. Pretty much everything that passes through both the Legislative and Executive branch ends up in the Judicial branch in the end. I think the Judicial branch has a lot more effect oin you than you may realize. Wink
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:30 pm
Probably so, and I have plenty against it, but I don't view it as something which could be changed. Personally, I am only against the principle. One vote does very little even without the college. And in action the college usually somewhat accurately represents the view of the people, but I don't think that is good enough. It is largely a matter of what I think, regardless of how it affects me.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:37 pm
fishin' wrote:

I think it's a huge deal mentally to the people that live in the less populated states.

I recognize the symbolism of the system and I don't think we can easily be rid of it because of the symbolism to the people it benefits.

But do you think the EC itself is inherently something hard to change?

Quote:
Perhaps that's because I've almost always lived in the least populated regions of some very low population states but when you live in the boonies it's pretty easy to see that your voice gets over looked at pretty much every level.

No matter where I live I feel that way. Crying or Very sad

Quote:
People form populated ares don't have to much problem convincing the Congress to vote to dump nuclear waste out in the midle of AZ or NM and the people in the larger cities don't have much problem getting the state governments to force the small towns to accept their garbage, sewage and prisons. Anything that the "NIMBY" folks don't want in their cities or towns gets dumped on the poor schmucks out in the boonies were no one else has to look at it or smell it.

But in all of your examples the issues would probably not be affected by the EC at all...

IMO the president is a position that isn't reflected by the local/land factors many use in the "tyranny of the majority" argument.

Quote:
But when those same cities need more water they also don't have much problem getting the government to dam up rivers and divert water and if a small town or two has to disappear for that to happen that's just to bad for them.

But this again, isn't something that the EC addresses IMO.

Quote:
It may not seem like getting rid of the EC is a big deal to you but to those people that get dumped on every day it's a much bigger deal.

To me it's a big deal that my vote is practically useless too. I have considered travelling and registering in a different state for the upcoming elections.

And while I can understand that those who have a more valuable vote might feel particularly attached to it I'm not sure that it says anything about the merit of them having it.

Quote:

It's not a simple cog to eliminate either. Being that it's written into the Constitution it means passing an amendment which is not an easy thing to get done. I can think of several thousand things that could be done much easier and are more worthy of people's time and energy.

Agreed, I don't expect it to change.

But beyond the symbolism to the special voters, and the protocol for changing it do you see anything inherent to the EC system that would cause a great imbalance if it were eliminated?

Personally I don't think it will make another difference in my lifetime so either way it's just a conceptual qualm I have.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:38 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
fishin
If your voice as one from the boonies already gets overlooked at every level, then the checks and balances are pretty meaningless for you anyway, aren't they?

Probably so.. At least until the next Presidential election rolls around and the candidiates know that to play the game they have to pay attention to folks in the boonies!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:42 pm
fishin' wrote:

Huh? How is the judicial system not a direct check on democracy? People vote for something and the court rules it unconstitutional. Your vote then means nothing. That's pretty darn direct! The same issue with the Congress. 200 million people can go and vote for something in this country but it can only become law if the Congress agrees to vote for it. If they vote it down then the issue is dead.

But congress is composed of elected representatives... I do think it's less arbitrary than being a fortunate voter.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:50 pm
Pity the liberal voter in a state like Texas. Bush will carry all but a handful of precincts for certain, and the real campaigning hasn't even started.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:54 pm
Honestly, Fishin', with communication as advanced as it is, I don't see how a candidate could possibly neglect certain areas. Anyone who cares can become informed about the issues. Besides, I'm under the impression that most people just vote for parties, and that most parties are passed on genetically. Again, that's just an impression, but most people don't care who their voting for, just what party their parents voted for. Even is cases like that are the minority, it is obviously influential, and to me drowns out most other inaccuracies in voting. I won't try to argue that, it's just an opinion.

As far as the EC, I think it distorts the vote far more than the distortion you describe in its absence.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:54 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
But in all of your examples the issues would probably not be affected by the EC at all...

IMO the president is a position that isn't reflected by the local/land factors many use in the "tyranny of the majority" argument.[/quote}

But they ARE affected by the EC. The Presidential candidates are currently forced to go to the boonies and pay attention to people out there because they have to win the EC and then once they are in office, they have to at least consider the desires of the boonies because they'll need thier votes to get reelected. All of those things I mentioned get Federal funding so they need an act of Congress signed by the President to happen.

[quote]To me it's a big deal that my vote is practically useless too. I have considered travelling and registering in a different state for the upcoming elections.

And while I can understand that those who have a more valuable vote might feel particularly attached to it I'm not sure that it says anything about the merit of them having it.

Methinks the actual value shift in the votes is greatly overblown. I calculated it for Anon 2 years or so back and it really isn't thet much. If you compare are vote from CA to one from ID (the most populous and least) the voter in CA is actually 99.99999999% of a voite and the vote from ID is 100.000000001% of a vote. It worked out so that for every 325,000 votes in ID there needed to be one additional voter in CA to copunter the EC effect. It IS largely symbolic but when those candidates are coming through every 4 years that's all you've got to cling to for a voice.

Quote:

Agreed, I don't expect it to change.

But beyond the symbolism to the special voters, and the protocol for changing it do you see anything inherent to the EC system that would cause a great imbalance if it were eliminated?

Personally I don't think it will make another difference in my lifetime so either way it's just a conceptual qualm I have.

I don't think it would be in your lifetime either but I do think there would be a slow shift (100 years or more). Candidates would quit going to the boonies, no one would listen to anything people in the boonies had to say, people would feel even more isolated, they'd get dumped on slightly more. Eventully the population would shift more to the more metropolitan areas and the shift would become even greater. It would be a slow snowballing until the only people left in the boonies were the anti-social types and the cities would run the show. It would all add to the problems of urban/suburban sprawl which creates more demands on "the outlands" for resources.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:00 pm
SCoates wrote:
Honestly, Fishin', with communication as advanced as it is, I don't see how a candidate could possibly neglect certain areas. Anyone who cares can become informed about the issues. Besides, I'm under the impression that most people just vote for parties, and that most parties are passed on genetically. Again, that's just an impression, but most people don't care who their voting for, just what party their parents voted for. Even is cases like that are the minority, it is obviously influential, and to me drowns out most other inaccuracies in voting. I won't try to argue that, it's just an opinion.

There is an article in the June 19th issue of "The Economist" magazine that lays out the changing face of "the voter". What you describe is the traditional voting pattern but that is changing. According to the article at the current rate of change 60% of us will be "Independents" by 2030. Younger voters aren't allying with the two major parties as they have in the past and are less likely to vote "the party line".
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:01 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Pity the liberal voter in a state like Texas. Bush will carry all but a handful of precincts for certain, and the real campaigning hasn't even started.

Or the Conservative in MA, NY or CA. Wink
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:03 pm
I don't care about the issue of distorting votes from small states to big states. I'm concerned about the distortion within states (well, except for two) in which one party wins the entire state, and all minority votes are converted to votes for the opposing team. States are granted votes in the electoral college based on population, and then the states misrepresent that populace. The two electoral votes that each state recieves to counter populaiton are also granted to a single party. It just doesn't make sense. I don't see how that grant (of voter conversion on state level) even addresses the problems you bring to light.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:12 pm
fishin' wrote:

But they ARE affected by the EC. The Presidential candidates are currently forced to go to the boonies and pay attention to people out there because they have to win the EC and then once they are in office, they have to at least consider the desires of the boonies because they'll need thier votes to get reelected.

Actually I do remember one such case. The steel tariffs. That was to appease a small regional, but politically important, area.

I remember another: the cuban expats in Florida.

But the problem is that now I think it's MUCH more important to get rid of the EC.

The clearest examples I can think of for such occurances are some of the things I most object to.

I now contend that the EC is not just a conceptual flaw but a system that gives minority lobbies inordinate power in a real and tangible way.

Most Americans do not want a Cuban policy that the Cuban expats want but the American Cuban policy is closer to that which the expats in Florida want.

Quote:
Methinks the actual value shift in the votes is greatly overblown.

If the EC does anything real to affect the "tyranny of the majority" then it is at least that real (read not overblown).

The Steel tarriffs and the Cuban expats are cases I think that are real examples of pandering to a minority lobby from a vocal EC-important demographic.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:12 pm
For SCoates: That's a different aspect of the EC. That one I think could easliy be fixed by going to proportional EC representation like NE and ME have. It doesn't change the number of EC delegates but it allows each to vote independently of their "state block". The states control that aspect and any of them can change it at any time if they want to!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:18 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I remember another: the cuban expats in Florida.

But the problem is that now I think it's MUCH more important to get rid of the EC.

The clearest examples I can think of for such occurances are some of the things I most object to.

I now contend that the EC is not just a conceptual flaw but a system that gives minority lobbies inordinate power in a real and tangible way.

Most Americans do not want a Cuban policy that the Cuban expats want but the American Cuban policy is closer to that which the expats in Florida want.

I'd have to spend some time digging into the details but I think those two particluar issues might actually hurt your case. Wink Steel is mostly PA and OH and the Cuban ex-pats are almsot entirely in FL. Those are all more heavily populated areas that get their vote "toned down" by the EC currently. If there were no EC I think their voices would be even louder but I'd have to research it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:32 pm
Well first Craven, we do not have a democracy. We have a republic specifically to be sure those of us out in dirtwater land are on more equal footing than those in New York City. And second, I'm not in favor of one man one vote in some cases. Personally I think those who are paying taxes and doing volunteer work in their communities and creating jobs and building schools deserve at least as much, if not more, consideration than those who are supported by the system. Where do most of the people supported by the system live? In the big metropolitan areas. I'll vote to keep the electoral college.

Anybody else here get the distinct feeling Craven is pulling our leg?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:35 pm
fishin' wrote:

I'd have to spend some time digging into the details but I think those two particluar issues might actually hurt your case. Wink Steel is mostly PA and OH and the Cuban ex-pats are almsot entirely in FL. Those are all more heavily populated areas that get their vote "toned down" by the EC currently. If there were no EC I think their voices would be even louder but I'd have to research it.

The EC's flaws (as I see it) are not just in the delienation of representation but the segmentation of the popular vote as well.

Florida may well be a populous state but it was also a state that decided the election against the popular vote.

If the popular vote ruled the expat community in Florida would not be as important and they would not have the power to shape foreign policy that the majority of America disagrees with.
0 Replies