That Guy Christie Again...NJ voters disapprove of him.

roger

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 02:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oh, I don't know. He did such a great job of groveling for Obama after Hurricane Sandy I kind of felt like giving him a nice tummy rub.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 02:18 pm
These guys all hate Obama but they still suck at the teat.
roger

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 02:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's embarrassing.

Obama isn't always wrong. Neither is a clock that's broke.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 02:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

They just keep Christie's name out there to sell news space. There's no way in hell the voters like him very much.

Almost, he is in the "news" of this POTUS run because of his entertainment value, not his news value. This speaks to the decline of Journalism. One can rightfully be in the POTUS run news even if they have no chance of winning if they are talking about new/interesting ideas....for instance Nader and Perot, from what I can see this does not apply to Christie.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 02:40 pm
It's a shame none of those guys like Christie even knows what a clock is, let alone try to read one.
0 Replies

korkamann

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 03:33 pm
Governor Chris Christie realizes what time it is and most likely feels he doesn't have much to lose now. He's at the bottom of the presidential candidates polls and the most that can happen is a rise in poll numbers. That's why he dared to take a chance on speaking openly with reference to the Third_rail_of_politics, Social Security and Medicare -- taboo subjects most politicians avoid -- knowing it can kill a candidate's chances, or it may help Christie, forcing other presidential contenders to answer this question by reporters. Christie suggests raising the retirement age from 67 to 69.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 04:19 pm
@korkamann,
Quote:
Christie suggests raising the retirement age from 67 to 69.

A very bad idea. We need to move the other way, get old folks off the pasture so that young folks have some opportunity.
korkamann

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 06:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Christie suggests raising the retirement age from 67 to 69.

A very bad idea. We need to move the other way, get old folks off the pasture so that young folks have some opportunity.

In academia, an example: tenured professors will hold on to their jobs until they die...even when their memory is not as sharp as formerly; very few resign at 65 or 70. And yet a glaring truth is some tenured professors encounter fatal health problems and are forced to resign before reaching 65. The point is a few of these surviving tenured professors become sluggish, often have graduate students teach their classes, when it's really the professors' expertise and experience that the graduate student is paying for. These tenurial professors also tend to hold on to their office space which is sorely needed by incoming professors.

I do not favor raising the current retirement age, and yet I also believe as long as a person is healthy, gets satisfaction out of his duties, why not allow him to work as long as he is valuable to his employer? The incoming younger generation should make their own way in a changing world.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 06:16 pm
@korkamann,
Quote:
I do not favor raising the current retirement age, and yet I also believe as long as a person is healthy, gets satisfaction out of his duties, why not allow him to work as long as he is valuable to his employer?

That is a lot different than the government telling the citizens that they are expected to work deep into old age. Also, now that we have no likelihood of providing full employment even to age 65 anyone claiming extending the retirement age as a fix to anything is lying, they are advocating making a move to partly fix the governments books at the expense of making it increasingly likely that the young will burn the entire place down. This is not in the nations best interests.

I have long had a very low opinion of Christie, it surprises me not at all that he would put forwards irresponsible program proposals.
woiyo

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 07:45 am
@hawkeye10,
I recall Christie suggesting Means testing, which I could support. However, current FULL retirement age is NOT 65 for everyone. It was extended more than a few years ago. I would not support additional expansion.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 03:29 pm
@woiyo,
Quote:
I recall Christie suggesting Means testing, which I could support

If we are going to continue to have decent safety nets they will have to be means tested. There is no way America will go to high enough tax rates to keep them afloat as they are, as it is barely/not even possible for the state to raise that much money in a global economy. I have long argued that globalization was at heart a movement by the capitalists to depower the ability of states to remove capital from individuals. It worked.
0 Replies

korkamann

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2015 05:46 pm
Regarding Chris Christie's Federal investigation, the latest news is -- there exist no proof to Mayor Zimmer's of Hoboken's claim there was an offer, a quid pro quo, in exchange for FEMA funds following the Sandy disaster that left parts of that city inundated with water from the Hudson River. This does not have anything to do with Bridgegate where some of his Cabinet underlings might be indicted or implicate Governor Christie.

Despite what the Federal investigation did not uncover, I believe Mayor Zimmer, who by all accounts, is a role model of one of the most ethical and credible mayors I've ever encountered. It is Christie whom I do not believe because the offer of FEMA funds in return for contracts to build in Hoboken is very much in keeping with his double-dealing treacherous personality.

Mayor Zimmer, a lovely lady, appeared several times on MSNBC "Up w/Steve Kornacki." Had she been openly lying regarding Governor Christie he would have sued her for everything she's worth. Christie is a windbag---a know-it-all, and nothing on this earth would have prevented his obese body from jumping on Zimmer with both feet and hands had she been lying.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 1 May, 2015 01:15 pm
'Bridgegate' dogs Christie as indictments, guilty pleas unveiled
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 1 May, 2015 01:36 pm
@revelette2,
I really dislike this guy Christie...but I am beginning to think he will never be tarred with this thing. He may be a douche...but he is a smart douche. And he almost certainly has covered his tracks. I think several people will throw themselves under the bus to protect him.

But keep in mind that I once thought the Beatles would never make it big time.
revelette2

Reply Fri 1 May, 2015 03:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
But keep in mind that I once thought the Beatles would never make it big time.

Well you were obviously wrong about the beatles, (my favorite has always been John Lennon) but you're probably right about Christie. But I think his career is shot.
0 Replies

korkamann

Reply Fri 1 May, 2015 03:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I really dislike this guy Christie...but I am beginning to think he will never be tarred with this thing. He may be a douche...but he is a smart douche. And he almost certainly has covered his tracks. I think several people will throw themselves under the bus to protect him.

On the contrary, Frank, Governor Christie has been much tarnished if only by innuendo of the most derogatory nature. Christie's personality is seen as a ruthless, retaliatory, two-faced conniving underhanded crook who just barely remains out of reach of the authorities. -- He has been contaminated big time! These indictments of his closest aides force one to one ask the question "who stood to benefit the most from this illegal Bridgegate action; the governor vindictively sought revenge against a mayor who refused to vote for him?" One is asked to believe the impossible that Christie, one who micromanages his administration, was unaware of what his top aides were doing; he was quite clever in making sure no smoking gun involving him could be found, but unfortunately, not skillful enough because the scent of a skunk is strongly lingering around his person.

Christie's poll rating is at the bottom, following the myriad Republican presidential candidates for 2016. People might have had a false impression of Chris Christie at one time because one poll, a snapshot in time, saw him ahead of Hillary Clinton, but not anymore! The Republican Party is desperate for a candidate and usually the filthier the candidate the more value the Tea Party Republicans see in him/her as acceptable (See the current Clown car of GOP candidates.) representing their skewed political views. But even the Tea Party has put him down as having just too much dirty laundry.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 10:02 am
I have not thought much of the fat man for years, but he turns out to be even worse than I thought...the fact that he seems to have believed in the last year that he has a chance in hell at the POTUS chair speaks to his political incompetence.
0 Replies

korkamann

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 02:56 pm
Christie, a conservative Republican in a blue state, is hoping people will not see through his political maneuverings which were to create the impression he had cross-over appeal to all Democrats even though he shared the Tea Party's conservatism and meant he could get elected by mainstream voters.

Because Mayor Sokolich had declined to endorse Christie in his re-election bid, Christie's aides were working diligently on his behalf in seeking retribution against Fort Lee, NJ Mayor by closing lanes on the entrance to the George Washington Bridge in 2013, .

This exceedingly spiteful small-minded motivation is very much a part of the man's basic personality makeup....a sickening character flaw. When ex-Christie ally David Wildstein first volunteered to Bridgegate investigators he would tell all in exchange for immunity, Chris Christie flew into a hysterical rage. He sent an op-ed commentary to the New York Times that violently smeared the character of Wildstein, going all the way back to when the two of them were in college and the dirty political schemes that were played at that time by Wildstein for college positions. He ripped his ex-ally so unmercifully, that the question was put to the NJ governor: If Wildstein possessed such a treacherous personality why on earth would you give him such a high-profile position in your administration?* (Wildstein served as a senior official in the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, a position that had hitherto not existed, that had to be created especially for him.)

Immediately, Christie backed down, saying instead "one of his eager aides sent out the character assassination of Wildstein memo without showing it to him first."

Stick a fork in Christie -- the man is done!

*The reason the job was created for David Wildstein at the Port Authority was because he was supposed to be Chris Christie's eyes and ears in that position.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 03:08 pm
@korkamann,
Quote:
Stick a fork in Christie -- the man is done!

America is the better for it.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 03:25 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I hope you're both right.
0 Replies