what is left for me to kill you and you kill me ---there is nothing between?

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 11:32 am
Does "what is left for me to kill you and you kill me ---there is nothing between" mean "what is left for me to kill you and what is left for you to kill me (of course I can kill you at will and you do so as well)---there is nothing but we kill each other"?

Context:

While I am in substantial agreement with Hitchens on this point, there is no denying that Mother Teresa was a great force for compassion. Clearly, she was moved by the suffering of her fellow human beings, and she did much to awaken others to the reality of that suffering.

The problem, however, was that her compassion was channeled within the rather steep walls of her religious dogmatism. In her Nobel Prize acceptance speech, she said:

The greatest destroyer of peace is abortion.... Many people are very, very concerned with the children in India, with the children in Africa where quite a number die, maybe of malnutrition, of hunger and so on, but millions are dying deliberately by the will of the mother. And this is what is the greatest destroyer of peace today. Because if a mother can kill her own child! what is left for me to kill you and you kill me ---there is nothing between.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 596 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Miller

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 04:01 pm
Sometimes, a pregnant woman will undergo a medically necessary abortion.
The woman must choose between the life of the fetus and her own life.

In these situations, the fetus is aborted and with proper medical care the woman in question recovers from her preganancy and her surgery. She has aborted her fetus and she has survived to continue living.

In some cases, abortion of the fetus under sub-sterile conditions, results in a woman becoming septic, and with some degree of probablity, the life of the woman is aborted.

Under these conditions, the above comment "...for me to kill you and you kill me" could apply.

This is one possible medical/scientific explanation for the statement "kill you...kill me"...

According to Mother T. elective abortion (?) is a primary cause of the desruction of peace. Since Mother T, has never been pregnant, nor has she ever had an abortion, I doubt that she can be considered an expert in the matter, even though she is certaily widely know for her work in various peace movements.

Miller
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 04:15 pm
@Miller,
Sometimes, a pregnant woman will undergo a medically necessary abortion.
The woman must then choose between the life of the fetus and her own life.

In these situations, the fetus is aborted and with proper medical care the woman in question recovers from her preganancy and her surgery. She has aborted her fetus and she has survived to continue living.

In other cases, abortion of the fetus under sub-sterile conditions, results in a woman becoming septic, and with some degree of probablity, the life of the woman is aborted.

Under these conditions, the above comment "...for me to kill you and you kill me" could apply.

This is one possible medical/scientific explanation for the statement "kill you...kill me"...

According to Mother T. elective abortion (?) is a primary cause of the desruction of peace. Since Mother T, has never been pregnant, nor has she ever had an abortion, I doubt that she can be considered an expert in the matter, even though she is certaily widely know for her work in various peace movements.

(The above is an edited version of my first post. The EDIT function didn't work).
oristarA

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 10:51 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
Mother Teresa is a perfect example of the way in which a good person, moved to help others, can have her moral intuitions deranged by religious faith. Christopher Hitchens put it with characteristic bluntness:

[Mother Teresa] was not a friend of the poor. She was a friend of poverty. She said that suffering was a gift from God. She spent her life opposing the only known cure for poverty, which is the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2015 06:44 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Because if a mother can kill her own child! what is left for me to kill you and you kill me ---there is nothing between.

This is poorly written (stated). The "because" is the key here, I think. If it's OK to kill your own child, then what could possibly be wrong with killing some unrelated person? Nothing, she's saying. There could be no moral restraint "in between" to divert or stop two people from killing each other in that case. The "in between" kinda means a "barrier," a wall, or deterrent, I think. And, in her view, it is this lack of any moral compunction that "destroys peace."

I think that was her intent, I mean. But her intent is not really clear from the way it's written.
0 Replies