go all the way down

SMickey

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 09:48 am
Hi all?

This is part of the sitcom Friends.

Chandler says that though he's a gym member, he has missed like 12,00 times so far, which means he practically is not going to the gym any more.
With a puzzled expression on his face, Ross asks him, 'Then, why don't you quit?
Chandler answers, "Oh, you think I like having 5o bucks taken out of my bank account every month? They make you go all the way down there."

The expression not familiar to me is 'go all the way down' part.
From the context, I assume that people of the gym do everything they can to prevent Chandler from quitting.
That's what Chandler was saying, I guess.
Then, would it be safe to say that 'go all the way' is almost same as 'do one's best'?

Let me make a sentence, and please tell me this makes sense.

I went all the way down to pass the exam.

Silly?
Please help me clearly understand what 'go all the way down' means.

Thank you.

View best answer, chosen by SMickey
Ragman
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 09:54 am
@SMickey,
It is simpler than you think. He means that he's saying that he actually is so lazy that he's shocked that in order to quit that he physically has to all the way down to the gym. An exaggerated example of how lazy he truly is.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 10:41 am
I believe Ragman is mistaken. To "go all the way down" in a gym situation refers to lowering oneself completely to the floor or mat between pushups. The gym is strict because the instructors make him do that. Thus it would be incorrect to use the phrase about an exam.

"Obama referred to Ellen DeGeneres, the stand-up comedian and television host and a lesbian.

'I want to thank my wonderful friend who accepts a little bit of teasing about Michelle beating her in push-ups but I think she claims Michelle didn't go all the way down,' he said."

Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 11:59 am
@contrex,
Why not re-read the phrase. I disagree. This is the phrase:
Code:"Oh, you think I like having 5o bucks taken out of my bank account every month? They make you go all the way down [b]there[/b]."

All the way down there..to the gym. Nothing at all to do with pushups.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 12:19 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Why not re-read the phrase. I disagree.

I agree with you, Ragman. I would have said the same thing you did. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "push-ups." It a comedy show, for god's sake. He would rather pay the $50/month than go "all the way down" to the fitness club, which he never does, anyway, to quit.
contrex

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 12:22 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
I would have said the same thing you did. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "push-ups."

That's bollocks, and you know it. (Layman is a retard and troll).

contrex

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 12:24 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
All the way down there..to the gym. Nothing at all to do with pushups.

They make you go all the way down there. (i.e. at the gym)

Everything to do with pushups. Is English your first language?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 12:55 pm
I agree. It's referring to pushups on the floor.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 12:59 pm
@SMickey,

Quote:
'Then, why don't you quit?
Chandler answers, "Oh, you think I like having 5o bucks taken out of my bank account every month? They make you go all the way down there."

It's kind of illogical. Not that everything Chandler says has to be logical, of course.
Since he was talking about the bank, I thought the phrase referred to the bank making him go "all the way down there" in order to cancel the $50 per month. In other words, you have to attend in person to do that at his bank. But I daresay that is wrong.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 01:00 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
That's bollocks, and you know it. (Layman is a retard and troll).

You made it clear, a long time ago, that you will attempt to dispute or deny EVERYTHING I say on any grounds, no matter how flimsy. But this really takes the cake.

Quote:
Oh, you think I like having 5o bucks taken out of my bank account every month? They make you go all the way down there."

What do "push-ups" have to do with $50 coming from his account?

On the other hand, what does "quitting" having to do with "going all the way down there?" There is the fitness center, not the god damn floor. Anyone who can't see that has NO sense, an no sense of humor, to be sure.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 01:03 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
Since he was talking about the bank,

He wasn't talking about the bank

They won't let you quit the fitness club unless you come in and make the request personally--that's the obvious implication, don't you think? The bank is not the one taking $50 from his account--the fitness club is.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 01:07 pm
@McTag,
You know what?. It's fairly ambiguous. Unless someone saw the show and saw him gesturing to the floor. I see no indication at all that pushups were mentioned or referred to in any way. Where is the reference to pushups anywhere in his dialogue?

I can see where it either could be referring to going to the bank or to the gym. I think he was referring (logically) to his going to the gym to cancel.

However, "going down there" is not spelled out but there's no reference whatsoever to pushups.

Bottom line is that someone asking for clarification due to English not being their primary language would be confused.

Contrex...a piece of advice...don't make this personal. It's senseless to make this an attack.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 01:14 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
It' s fairly ambiguous.

I can't see how. Like I just said:
Quote:
The bank is not the one taking $50 from his account--the fitness club is.
Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 01:17 pm
@layman,
That's fine.

At the risk of tediousness, Pushups are not mentioned so it's illogical to assume it's about pushups.
argome321

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 01:18 pm
@SMickey,
Quote:

"Go all the way down there" means to travel to.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 01:19 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
At the risk of tediousness, Pushups are not mentioned so it's illogical to assume it's about pushups.

Bingo.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 01:30 pm
This will help, maybe:

Quote:
JoeyWhoa-whoa, Treeger made you cry?
RachelYes! And he said really mean things that were only partly true.
JoeyI'm gonna go down there and teach that guy a lesson.
MonicaJoey, please don't do that. I think it's best we just forget about it.
RachelThat's easy for you to say, you weren't almost just killed.
JoeyAll right that's it, school is in session! (Exits and slams the door.)
Monica(Picking up a card from Chandler's wallet.) My God! Is this a gym card?
ChandlerOh yeah, gym member. I try to go four times a week, but I've missed the last 1200 times.
RossSo why don't you quit?
ChandlerYou don't think I've tried? You think I like having 50 dollars taken out of my bank account every month? No, they make you go all the way down there! Then they use all of these phrases and peppiness to try to confuse you! And then they bring out Maria.
RossWho is Maria?
ChandlerOh Maria. You can't say no to her, she's like this Lycra Spandex covered gym...treat.
RossDo you need me to go down there with you and hold your hand?
ChandlerNo!
RossAll right, so you're strong enough to face her alone?
ChandlerOh no, you'll have to come.
Treeger's apartment, Joey knocks on the door and Treeger opens it.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 01:31 pm
@contrex,
'I want to thank my wonderful friend who accepts a little bit of teasing about Michelle beating her in push-ups but I think she claims Michelle didn't go all the way down,' he said."

This joke has little to do with push-ups either, in case you didn't know.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 01:34 pm
@timur,
Quote:
This will help, maybe

Yeah, that may help those who need help, inasmuch as it makes the obvious even more obvious. Thanks.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 02:44 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
This joke has little to do with push-ups either, in case you didn't know.

It is a double meaning, and thus has equally to do with push-ups and another thing. The push-up meaning is essential for the the joke.