as they do? do what?

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 09:07 am
Failed to understand "as they do". Does it mean "as though the biblical prophecies (they) have come true"?

Context:

In talking about the good consequences that your beliefs have on human morality, you are following the example of religious liberals and religious moderates. Rather than say that they believe in God because certain biblical prophecies have come true, or because the miracles recounted in the Gospels are convincing, liberals and moderates tend to talk in terms of the good consequences of believing as they do. Such believers often say that they believe in God because this "gives their lives meaning." When a tsunami killed a few hundred thousand people on the day after Christmas, 2004, many conservative Christians viewed the cataclysm as evidence of God's wrath. God was apparently sending another coded message about the evils of abortion, idolatry, and homosexuality. While I consider this interpretation of events to be utterly repellent, it at least has the virtue of being reasonable, given a certain set of assumptions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 356 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
dalehileman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 10:43 am
@oristarA,
No Ori, I don't think so. What it is they do believe is vaguely unspecified until subsequently explained

I'm really impressed Ori by your determination. Many a2k esl rise far above us natives
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 10:49 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Failed to understand "as they do".

Believing as they do (believe)

the good consequences of believing as they do = the good consequences of their beliefs (on human morality).

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 01:05 pm
@oristarA,
Con's answers are almost always better than mine….

Quote:
While I consider this interpretation of events to be utterly repellent
Look at it this way Ori: She can only do what's possible; this seems so obvious to not require verification. The only way She could make us happen, evolution, was using a chunk of dirt orbiting a huge hydrogen bomb, with occasional disaster inevitable
contrex

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 01:07 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Con's answers are almost always better than mine….

No, just longer...
dalehileman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 01:11 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
No, just longer...
Con you've made my day once more….
0 Replies