Nothing has to be believed on insufficient evidence...?

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 09:06 am
Does "Nothing has to be believed on insufficient evidence for people to form bonds of this sort" mean "for people to establish such relationships, it needs sufficient evidence; otherwise, people have enough reasons to not form such bonds"?

Context:

While feeling love for others is surely one of the greatest sources of our own happiness, it entails a very deep concern for the happiness and suffering of those we love. Our own search for happiness, therefore, provides a rationale for self-sacrifice and self-denial. There is no question that there are times when making enormous sacrifices for the good of others is essential for one's own deeper well-being. Nothing has to be believed on insufficient evidence
for people to form bonds of this sort.
At various points in the Gospels, Jesus clearly tells us that love can transform human life. We need not believe that he was born of a virgin or will be returning to earth as a superhero to take these teachings to heart.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oristarA

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 06:06 am
@oristarA,
Is this question too simple to be answered?
0 Replies

FBM
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 06:12 am
@oristarA,
It means that one need not a religion, such as Christianity, in order to love someone else and feel altruism towards that person. Christianity and other religions lack sufficient evidence for their gods. One need not believe in any god in order to form loving bonds and feel compassion.
oristarA

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 08:13 am
@FBM,
Thank you.
BTW, what is the difference in meaning between "one need not" and "one needs not"?
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 09:24 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
"one needs not"?

I can't think of a context where this would make sense. Have you seen it before? Chances are it was a typo, if you have.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 09:35 am
@FBM,
Quote:
One need not believe in any god in order to form loving bonds and feel compassion.

Yeah, and I get the feeling that this author may, in the overall context here, be trying to make the case that Christian ethics are worthwhile, whether or not you believe he was any kind of deity. That's the way Thomas Jefferson felt. He couldn't buy into the supernatural claims, so he cut all the reference to miracles and such out of his bible, but still felt it was very useful and worthwhile for "spiritual" guidance after that.

Quote:
Jesus clearly tells us that love can transform human life

In the larger context (hard to tell, since we don't have it here), this guy's probably urging people not to "throw out the baby with the bathwater." Many people want to reject EVERYTHING in the Bible, simply because they don't believe it divinely inspired, etc.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 10:53 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
"one needs not"?

I can't think of a context where this would make sense. Have you seen it before? Chances are it was a typo, if you have.

Put "one needs not" into Google search box and find it in many native speakers' reports.
layman

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 10:57 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
Put "one needs not" into Google search box and find it in many native speakers' reports.

Hmm, I don't get that. I haven't looked at it all, but every hit I get simply refers to "one need not" (not "needs not").

EDIT: Sorry, I accidentally made the wrong selection. I tried it again, and came across this discussion thread, which you could look at.

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2368687
oristarA

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 11:42 am
@layman,
Got it, thanks.

Quote:
In "No one need worry about me" the "need" is operating like "should" would, as a modal

verb (as Lucas-sp said).

"No one should worry about me".
"No one must worry about me."
"No one need worry about me."
FBM

Reply Mon 6 Apr, 2015 04:28 pm
@oristarA,
Yes, it's a modal: http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/29409/why-use-need-not-instead-of-do-not-need-to
0 Replies