What is the reason to anything?

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 01:55 am
I mean literally, you're born to die.
You live a life, no matter how rich or how cool you are or were in it.
You die, game over there's nothing left of you.
Christians don't comment, and i'm 100% serious your religion is bullshit read the bible, see how much sense it actually makes.
Your brain contains you, contains your memories thoughts and all of that bs. When you die your brain rots into the ground and you're gone, end the of game of life.
So what is the point of even continuing life?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 789 • Replies: 10

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 02:01 am
One point of life might be to learn and apply what one has learned (certainly in a philosophical discussion). For example, you might learn how prepositions are used in English.
ApollosEnvy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 02:28 am
@Setanta,
You're very proud of your knowledge are you not? From dust you have became to dust you shall return. Your fate is the same as mine we are equal. Why not talk on the same level.
Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 02:44 am
@ApollosEnvy,
There is a great deal of projection going on there, and that's no fault of mine. The expression is not "from dust you have become," so we have yet another example of the imprecision of your ideas. That is not at all an untoward subject for discussion when someone sets us a philosophical conundrum.

I'm happy to "talk on the same level," even though not entirely sure what you mean by that. So here you go: existence is its own justification, it doesn't need a reason or justification. You seem to me to be hide-bound by the theistic crapola of the christisans--that there must be a reason for our existence. There is no need for such a justification. We just are.
ApollosEnvy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 02:52 am
@Setanta,
I understand that's not the exact expression. All i'm saying man is that you're going to die one day. Nothing you know will mean anything, nothing you've done will matter. I just want some help finding myself. I'm not trying to argue about who's more educated, because that doesn't matter we all die the same.
Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 03:03 am
@ApollosEnvy,
As i say, you're projecting--i've not said a damned thing about levels of education. There are at least hundreds, and perhaps thousands of people who have been remembered for thousands of years, usually because of their accomplishments, although sometimes for the evil that they do. So i cannot at all agree that nothing that you do will matter. Indeed, simply loving others, and making their world a better place is a worthy use of one's life. I truly do think that you are hag-ridden by the theistic concept of purpose. If, as you say, what you do doesn't matter, than please yourself. It could very well make you someone who will be revered down the ages. Or raise some children well, and become an ancestor worthy of remembrance. What your life is worth is only an issue to you. You can make it matter to others, but only you can accomplish that, and there's no handbook.
ApollosEnvy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 03:08 am
@Setanta,
You're the only person that's ever said something that's made sense about this. Thank you.
Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 03:22 am
@ApollosEnvy,
You're welcome.

Now my reputation is ruined . . .
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 06:38 am
@ApollosEnvy,
Now we know where the "existence" stuff is coming from !
As an atheist I concur with your views on established religion. However "atheism" need not exclude an investigation of "spirituality".( I'm not talking woo-woo stuff here! Smile ) For example, the writer J. Krishnamurti who rejected organized religion, attracted many individuals seeking "self realization". In that respect, issues such as "service to others", have been well explored in the K literature, which I recommend as a therapeutic starting point.

layman

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 03:02 am
@ApollosEnvy,
Quote:
So what is the point of even continuing life?

You mean what's the purpose? Well, as a wise man once said:

Quote:
“Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim.” (Bertrand Russell)

So, then, there ya have it, eh?
0 Replies

ApollosEnvy

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2015 09:58 pm
@fresco,
Well my friend fresco, if you must know I'm a seer.
0 Replies