You ever wander away as a young tot?

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 11:04 am
I've long been an urban photographer of arguable ability but keen interest, but also am into landscape as such, when get out in it. As a land arch and landscape painter I got out in it quite a lot, but not the serious roaming a lot of you are talking about. Most of all of that was for my own pleasure, but I've had one photo featured in the LA Times and sold paintings at a fair pace before I moved here. Never have been rolling in money, though. I missed the money gene that some of my larger family had.

Meanwhile, our gallery showed local photographers as well as painters, and I'm keen on lots of photographers I now get to see online. Knew a few in person; for instance, a guy famous for album cover art, whose major interest when we knew him was photographing L.A. in the tough parts of town in the middle of the night.

Good thread, wanderlust is a good thing, eh?
Ragman

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 11:43 am
@ossobuco,
Good for you...you saw the connection. As a young wanderer, I loved exploring even at young stage of development. As I got older I just changed by putting a camera in my hands as I went wandering.

I was one of those children who was a wanderer. At the age of 6, while my family and I were at the beach, I wandered off. Oh..not too far..but my parents thought I went missing (building a sand castle with another family). A period of time elapsed and after awhile ... I walked over to a policeman and told him that my parents were missing. I thought that THEY were the ones who were lost. I knew exactly where I was. They were just not where they're supposed to be.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2015 01:20 pm
Forgot to say that in the Santa Monica Mountains we called them mountain lions.
One was seen recently in downtown Santa Monica.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 04:40 am
@ossobuco,
Along the foothills of the Rockies (like around Colo Springs and Can'on City) Mountain lions have had a field day with taking peoples pets.

0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 04:48 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Some recent images are posted on FB for those who are interested.

Am interested. How can I find them on FB? Searching for "Ragman" didn't work. PM me if you don't want to share it in the thread.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 04:49 am
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/DSC_0070copy_zps5bd47bb1.jpg

D90 again. Here in Korea. Common buzzard.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:02 am
@FBM,
You guyss all call BUTEOS "buzzards"
We call vultures buzzards.

Remember , a red tailed hawk is a Buteo, they have broad wings and rounded tails and are definately NOT carrion birds around here. Because they fly in circles way up high, theyve been misnamed "buzzard hawks".

Im on a tear to get rid of the "buzzard name' for these noble killer birds
FBM

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:20 am
@farmerman,
Heehee...I was disappointed when I found out its classification. I was hoping for something more interesting than "common buzzard." If I had my druthers...

Anyhoo, here's a good one I snapped in Missouri, on the same day that I got the D90:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/DSC_0006copy.jpg

I should probably work that up a bit in Photoshop.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:38 pm
@FBM,
lens that you used? Bout how far were you cause it looks like you were really zoning him. Really nice. Is the Nikon equipped with stedy cam stuff in the lenses?
FBM

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:44 pm
@farmerman,
IIRC, the lens is a Sigma 120-400 and yes, it has what they call Optical Stabilization, aka Vibration Reduction in Nikonese. It was probably about 70 yards away. Very luck shot. That's cropped, too.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 05:49 pm
@FBM,
Its excellent quality. The damn long range Canon lenses re costing a fortune (waay more than the camera (Maybe its the white spray paint)

I rented a 500 mm lens when we went out looking for sea turtles off Ocean City Md last summer. It cost me about 50 cents a millimeter for two weeks. But it shot like a dream.

You do Photoshop? Im only getting half decent with ELements (I said I learnt on LYNDA, which is also a cool concept.
FBM

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 06:02 pm
@farmerman,
Gug. Tell me about it. That lens cost me 5 times what I paid for the used D90. I've got a few years of good use out of it, though. I also use it for solar and lunar shots, coupled with a 2x teleconverter.

I use Photoshop CS6 these days. I used to have Elements, but I get a lot more control over the image in CS6 if I open an .NEF file straight out of the camera. I don't do the sort of PS like when people add or remove objects from the image. I just enhance sharpness, bump the colors, tweak the histogram, that sort of thing.
farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 06:17 pm
@FBM,
Im a far piece down the learning curve on anything but Elements 13
Below viewing threshold (view)
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 06:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
No.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 06:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
<span class="EmojiInput mj24" title="Crying Face :Crying or Very sad:"></span>
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2015 06:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
Its all related Hawkee. It was the thread that introduced the fact that osso, Rags (I already knew bout him as a photog), FBM and me.
You know, you can resteer the thread and we may even join in. Try not to be a (______insert favorite negative epithet here_________)
izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 10:26 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
You know, you can resteer the thread and we may even join in.

Trust me. You don't want to see any of Hawkeye's snaps.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 10:35 am
@izzythepush,
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2015 10:44 am
@farmerman,
Farmerman, did you have any luck finding the sea turtles? I haven't been to OC, Maryland in years. It's become so crowded, all the dunes are gone and the undertow in some areas is very strong.