What are Confederates proud of?

farmerjohn1324

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 05:49 pm
@Setanta,
I know all about the Confederacy. They did nothing to be proud of that no one else didn't do. And they did much to not be proud of.

I didn't say they should all be locked up. I'm just saying.... what is there to be proud of? I can think of nothing.

Should neo-Nazi's be locked up? If they do something violent... then yes.

Why would you assume that's all I know about them? I know they were the largest producer of cotton and supplied it to England.... then it was introduced to Egypt and Confederate cotton was no longer "so important" to the world economy. And England even considered helping the South in the Civil War to protect their cotton supply.

Why would you assume that I put some picture of black slavery and that is all I know?

But... I always get into these arguments on forums.... I really don't want to do it again.
Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 06:01 pm
@farmerjohn1324,
You don't need to ask me those questions, because i made no such claims. I was just disgusted by your idiotic comment about red-heads. I'd say you're working without a net here.
farmerjohn1324

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 06:05 pm
@Setanta,
Well.. previously to that, I thought "rednecks" were of English descent...

When someone said they has some Scottish and Irish, I said that explains why some of them have red hair.

Made sense to me.

But fact is... we're getting off on tangents... and the original question cannot be answered in any way that is different from neo-Naziism.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 06:23 pm
@farmerjohn1324,
Let see a large percents of our founding fathers was southerns including Washington and Jefferson.

In the civil war their generals for the most part ran rings around the Northerners allowing them to put up one hell of a fight against a far far superior force.

Bravery was a given to them and as an example of that fact in developing the first successful submarine they lost crew after crew of volunteers including the designer and yet they did not run out of volunteers.

There was no draft riots in the South unlike the north[ see the New York Draft riot].

farmerjohn1324

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 06:24 pm
@BillRM,
Good for them!!!

They were still a bunch of slave owners.

The Nazi's fought valiantly, too!!!
BillRM

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 06:41 pm
@farmerjohn1324,
Quote:
They were still a bunch of slave owners.

Most of the southern troops never own one slave in their life.

An the only reason that slavery was being slowly done away with in the north is it made far more sense economicilly to used new immigrates flooding the North in the mills and factories then slaves.

Hell New Jersey did not do away with slavery completely until the civil war even if it started to be phase out in 1846. http://slavenorth.com/newjersey.htm

To sum up history is never as simple as people like you would wish it to be.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 06:43 pm
Ah good . . . this guy deserves to converse with Bill . . . which thinks the civil wqr ended in 1846.
BillRM

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 06:46 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Ah good . . . this guy deserves to converse with Bill . . . which thinks the civil wqr ended in 1846.

LOL a law was passed in New Jersey in 1846 to phase out slavery in New Jersey but there was still slaves in New Jersey in the 1860s.
farmerjohn1324

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 07:00 pm
@BillRM,
That's great.

And maybe a lot of Nazi's were brainwashed from birth and may have been good people. Who knows?

The MAJOR facts still pertain.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 07:03 pm
@Setanta,
I don't want to influence anyone unfairly, but when I run into nut cases like the OP, I pretend I have to use the bathroom, or quietly ask the waiter to sit us at another table. Depending on the crazy level, I might slap money on the table and make a run for the exit.

I'm not joking, I think we've all been in places when we suddenly realize we are not safe. The safety professionals tell you to run if you can, hide if you can't run but fight like hell if the other 2 options aren't available.
NSFW (view)
glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 07:26 pm
@farmerjohn1324,
So who the **** cares, most of the people my age grew up in the same circumstances. You'd have had a point, if this was 1966. But it's not, I don't know if your kids pissed you off or you had a fight with your wife or girlfriend, but it's a little late in the game to be picking a fight over the Civil war. Do you realize how many people died in that unnecessary conflict??? It's history, look around, find a current social injustice to bitch about.

You seem to have zilch knowledge of the area at the time, and it's a cheap shot to blame 'mother lands, or father lands, for all the greed and misery that led up to the war.

If it helps, I didn't grow up in Jim Crow land, so I'm not making any excuses for slavery or racist views. You might as well be asking what the Mongols were up to, it's history, it's over. I see the Conferate flag as a symbol of treason.
BillRM

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 07:31 pm
@farmerjohn1324,
Quote:
or asking what a bunch of racist idiots are proud of?

Racism and slavery does not have a one to one connection and have zero connection for the majority of the history of the human race.

Even in the US, I do not think that free blacks that did own black slaves was racists.

Nor do I think for that matter that black tribes in Africa who had enslaved their enemies was racists.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 07:43 pm
@farmerjohn1324,
By the way, I am assuming that you are also of the opinion that there is no reason for Italians to be proud of the history of the Rome Republic and the Rome Empire or Greeks being proud of their heritage due to the fact both cultures foundation existed by having a large slave workforce.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 07:46 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Conferate flag as a symbol of treason.

So the US flag is a flag of treason to the British Empire and should be view as such?
0 Replies

farmerjohn1324

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 07:57 pm
@glitterbag,
I live in a place in Florida where people still fly the Confederate flag.

And Florida is not even a southern state. (some parts are, but most are populated by people who recently migrated from the northeast, or by Hispanic/black people) I can only imagine what it's like in Arkansas.

Right down the street, there is "Robert E. Lee Middle School." Why not call it Erwin Rommel Middle School? He was a great general too!!!

The state flag of Mississippi contains the Confederate flag. Is that okay? I have only driven through Mississippi. I've never lived there, but I can only imagine what kind of ignorant motherf****** live there.
BillRM

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:02 pm
@farmerjohn1324,
Quote:
Why not call it Erwin Rommel Middle School? He was a great general too!!!

Why the hell would that be a problem?

Rommel was beside being a great general was well thought of by even the soldiers on the Allie side and he was even force to committed suicide by the Nazis due to his part in a plot to kill Hitler.

Do you know any history at all??????
farmerjohn1324

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:07 pm
@BillRM,
Yea, you're right!!!

Let's call it Erwin Rommel Middle School!!!

Good idea!!!
BillRM

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:26 pm
@BillRM,
Footnote there is a large cultural center in the US name after a former officer of the SS!

His name is Wernher von Braun.

History is never as simple as some people would like to assume.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjG_3s6z8uGN1AkyIB2P1ENPEnuSoqMlIuBfLQFbdbVIwna9Hd
farmerjohn1324

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:53 pm
@BillRM,
Good for him.

He built rockets and helped start NASA, right?