Some of Ronnie's other heroisms

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 05:53 pm
I read Time's obit issue for Ronald Reagan. Apart from eating jelly beans and scuffing White House tables with his cowboy boots he did a lot of other things that I didn't know about:
-he freed the slaves
-pitched baseball under a series of aliases winning the pennant six times
-captured the Kaiser and ended WW1
-was in charge of constucting both the Hoover Dam and the Empire State Building
-he ACTUALLY flew the Spirit of St Louis as far as Kent in England where he relinquished the controls to Lindy for the last hop across the English Channel
-led a crack team of commandos that destroyed Nazi heavy water facilities in Norway
-was the REAL pilot on the Enola Gay
-rescued John Kennedy's worthless ass when he accidently sank his PT-Boat on a secret tryst with Marilyn Monroe (cover-up by Joe Kennedy's muzzled press)
-was the inspiration for James Bond
-personally captured a Soviet Typhoon class nuclear submarine whilst on holidays in the Bahamas
-courageously led the first coloured students into Southern schools, pushing aside armed men who resisted
-struck a rock three times and bought forth water in the desert

Gosh, this list isn't inclusive enough. Can anyone remind me of the other Gipper miracles?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,035 • Replies: 42
No top replies

Gala

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:06 pm
he was the inspiration for some fine tv--dallas and dynasty.

when he was president, there was no poverty.

walked on water, with his horse.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:52 pm
... assisted various Central American countries to gain true autonomy & embrace democracy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 08:00 pm
Exhibited a stunningly deep and comprehensive grasp on international history, politics, current issues and names of countries.

Mind you, just wait until Gough dies! He already walks on water, in his own mind.....heehee...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 08:21 pm
Mr. Stillwater--

Boy, yer picking on a dead saint and if he remembers he's gonna come back and smite ya.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 08:24 pm
ronnie wouldn't smite, he's an eternal optimist
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 08:42 pm
Gala--

He'd turn you over to Ollie North and the Contras--and smile.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:18 pm
dlowan wrote:
Mind you, just wait until Gough dies!

Sad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:21 pm
Ms Olga--

In the afterlife does it all come down to "My ancestors can lick your ancestors"? Perhaps not all genetic abnormalities are caused by pollution?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:23 pm
"I don't remember"
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:28 pm
Noddy

Gough was the only half decent Oz PM in (my) living memory. The rest were totally abysmal. Sad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:31 pm
Heehee - one of me friends is off to interview him next week.

He is still a hoot - even more up himself than ever - but still very funny. Ego the size of Everest! Margaret cuts him down, though.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:33 pm
Msolga--

Thanks for the head up. Once again I'm revealed as a Woman With Unbounded Ego and Informational Limits.

I grovel. I also anticipate fireworks in the afterlife. Perhaps "they" will use my dead body for the nitrates?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:35 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Msolga--

Thanks for the head up. Once again I'm revealed as a Woman With Unbounded Ego and Informational Limits.

I grovel. I also anticipate fireworks in the afterlife. Perhaps "they" will use my dead body for the nitrates?

Hold your dominion.

Laughing
Oh, & you hold YOURS, too, Noddy! Very Happy
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:40 pm
Ann Coulter, in a rare bit of honesty, referred to Reagan in a recent column as 'our hero'.

The 'our' is interesting. Who do you suppose she might figure fits within that group of which she is member?

And the 'hero' is, to me, even more interesting. It's been evident for a while now that a mythology was forming up around Reagan (he brought down the Soviet Union single-handedly etc), and the recent successful campaign to have CBS not broadcast the made for tv movie was an indication that some folks very much wish to preserve a particular understanding of Reagan.

The following is from a piece on Leo Strauss, the 'patron saint', one might say and many do say, of the present crop of neoconservatives...

Quote:
Straussians love Lincoln and they love him for a couple of reasons, one of which is that he was not reluctant to set the law aside when he felt it was necessary. But they also venerate Lincoln because he quite consciously set about the business of constructing a mythology about American identity, a patriotic mythology. Lincoln made the claim, in his Lyceum speech in 1838, that those who had had the experience of fighting for the establishment of the country in the Revolution were dying out as a generation and that future generations would have to revive this experience through myths and stories that they told about this founding generation. And that is what Straussians do in terms of American culture, primarily through the myth of the Founding Fathers, the notion of this aristocratic elite that established America and the way that it is established. So Lincoln is a very important figure for them because he resorted to tyrannical measures when he had to and because he sought to mythically restore heroic virtues.
http://www.logosjournal.com/xenos.htm

ps...this is a 13 page document if you print it out, but I highly recommend it. There's much in here quite delicious and precisely relevant to this administration.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:42 pm
dlowan wrote:
Heehee - one of me friends is off to interview him next week.

He is still a hoot - even more up himself than ever - but still very funny. Ego the size of Everest! Margaret cuts him down, though.

Y'know, Deb, if it wasn't for his East Timor stuff up (which he's too arrogant to acknowledge) Gough would be perfect! Mind you, HE thinks he's perfect, anyway! Laughing Ask your friend to give him a big kiss from me. Very Happy (& two for Margaret. What a tolerant woman!)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:53 pm
Y'know, Blatham, this Coulter person sounds intriguingly weird! I'm fascinated, in a sort of warped way. Mind you, we in Oz don't get nearly as much benefit from her words of wisdom is you folk up there in the northern hemisphere. But the bits that filter down to us leave one wanting to know more ... Why is she so? (Please don't feel obliged to supply a lengthy explanation, but it's interesting that RR is her "hero". That says a lot!)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:00 pm
msolga

It's best to read a few of her columns to get a sense of who she is and what she's up to...
http://www.anncoulter.org/

She's also frequently on tv news and news debate shows as well as having a written presence (copied or linked on many websites).

I'll warn you beforehand though...it's not pleasant reading.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:10 pm
Thank you for the links & the warning, blatham. I will fortify myself with a couple of glasses of wine before reading later tonight.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:42 pm
Mr. Stillwater, I loved your long and accurate lists of Ronnie's attributes.

Does anyone know if he has risen from the dead yet? What a photo op that would be!!
0 Replies