Mistakes Do Happen: Errors in Consumer Credit Reports

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 03:07 pm
From the Executive Summary:

"The most valuable thing we have is our good name. The most common reflection of our reputation as a trustworthy consumer is our credit report. Unfortunately, the information contained in our credit reports, which are bought and sold daily to nearly anyone who requests and pays for them, does not always tell a true story.

[...]

We asked adults in 30 states to order their credit reports and complete a survey on the reports' accuracy. Key findings include:

- Twenty-five percent (25%) of the credit reports surveyed contained serious errors that could result in the denial of credit, such as false delinquencies or accounts that did not belong to the consumer;

- Fifty-four percent (54%) of the credit reports contained personal demographic information that was misspelled, long-outdated, belonged to a stranger, or was otherwise incorrect;

- Twenty-two percent (22%) of the credit reports listed the same mortgage or loan twice;

- Almost eight percent (8%) of the credit reports were missing major credit, loan, mortgage, or other consumer accounts that demonstrate the creditworthiness of the consumer;

- Thirty percent (30%) of the credit reports contained credit accounts that had been closed by the consumer but remained listed as open;

- Altogether, 79% of the credit reports surveyed contained either serious errors or other mistakes of some kind.
[...]"

Link to the summary U.S. PIRG Reports - Mistakes Do Happen: A Look at Errors in Consumer Credit Reports

View the Full report [PDF]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 557 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 12:31 pm
I order my credit report annually and I haven't reviewed one yet that was 100% correct. It drives me crazy how they can keep this report on you and it's not even correct. They don't take any responsibility for the information in it and it is up to each individual to make sure theirs is correct. I think these credit reporting agencies should be held up to SOME standard. What if, (horrors) they were held responsible for sharing information about you that was incorrect? Sullying a persons name or reputation? That would make them check and confirm information before entering it into your record, no?
0 Replies