What good does religion offer the world today?

InfraBlue

Wed 14 Oct, 2015 04:03 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

God provided the warning, Frank.
Who do you suppose has been providing the conseqences?

According to you and your interpretation of the Job story, God, of course. The consequences are carried out with his permission.
neologist

Wed 14 Oct, 2015 04:05 pm
@InfraBlue,
You have a way with words, Blue.
InfraBlue

Wed 14 Oct, 2015 04:05 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Quote:
Who do you suppose has been providing the conseqences?

An agent of God, I'm guessing.

Yep. That would be Satan, according to neologist.

Watch him try to squirm out of this one, again.
InfraBlue

Wed 14 Oct, 2015 04:08 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

You have a way with words, Blue.

Thanky.
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 14 Oct, 2015 04:19 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Watch him try to squirm out of this one, again.
You never actually succeeded in shoehorning me into it.
You wish to prove Satan has a special commission from God.
An odd commission, since Satan is under a sentence of death.

But it suits you to profess as much.

Enjoy.
InfraBlue

Wed 14 Oct, 2015 04:54 pm
@neologist,
I'm going by what you said here.
Glennn

Wed 14 Oct, 2015 05:27 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Yep. That would be Satan, according to neologist.

And to that point, I would question the legitimacy of a god who was unaware that a serpent was crawling around the garden where his children were living. I would further question the legitimacy of a god whom, having failed in its duty as a parent to keep the backyard free of deadly serpents, decides to blame the intrusion on the kids instead. And if we are to believe that this angel, Satan, was a brilliant being, then this god’s failure is further compounded by the fact that he expected two unsuspecting beings of his own making to not be tricked by such a brilliant being. Satan versus newbees--like taking candy from a baby . . .
neologist

Wed 14 Oct, 2015 05:44 pm
@Glennn,
You neglect to take account the attribute of free will.
And Adam and Eve were not newbies
Adam had been around long enough to name the animals.

Don't fall into the misconception that the creative days were. 24 hours
The seventh has not ended.
Glennn

Wed 14 Oct, 2015 05:53 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
You neglect to take account the attribute of free will.
And Adam and Eve were not newbies
Adam had been around long enough to name the animals.

Don't fall into the misconception that the creative days were. 24 hours
The seventh has not ended.

Actually, it was the god who neglected to take the attribute of free will into account.

Also, it would be better if the days referred to in the creation narrative were 24 hour intervals. That would make the biblical claim that the earth was created along with all manner of green things before the sun a little more believable. But even then it remains unbelievable.
Leadfoot

Wed 14 Oct, 2015 06:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

I truly do not know what you mean by "denying reality".

I think you are being a little disingenuous there. If you've been on A2K for awhile and haven't seen examples of denying reality, you're not paying attention. Yes, I'm well aware that I am often accused of it myself, simply for believing there is a God. But the thing that defines it is when you take a position and defend it knowing that you are doing so on a false pretense. The TV evangelist who rails against homosexuality but is caught hiring a male prostitute is obviously denying reality.

Quote:

..but the bottom line is that instead of looking for a sin that is not a denial of reality...

...try looking for a sin that is not a thought or deed that offends your god.
Your statement clearly shows that you assume God and what offends him to be arbitrary and capricious. I'm saying that is not true and given you examples and reasoning supporting that position but you refuse to give me an example that demonstrates that he is.

Quote:

If you can offer one for consideration, we'll discuss it.

You are attempting to get me to argue your case for you. I've already stated that I don't think there is such an example. If you contend that there is, it is incumbent upon you to provide it. I'm saying they can all be traced to a denial of reality and that is the only thing that 'offends' God.
Frank Apisa

Wed 14 Oct, 2015 06:36 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

I truly do not know what you mean by "denying reality".

I think you are being a little disingenuous there. If you've been on A2K for awhile and haven't seen examples of denying reality, you're not paying attention. Yes, I'm well aware that I am often accused of it myself, simply for believing there is a God. But the thing that defines it is when you take a position and defend it knowing that you are doing so on a false pretense. The TV evangelist who rails against homosexuality but is caught hiring a male prostitute is obviously denying reality.

Quote:

..but the bottom line is that instead of looking for a sin that is not a denial of reality...

...try looking for a sin that is not a thought or deed that offends your god.
Your statement clearly shows that you assume God and what offends him to be arbitrary and capricious. I'm saying that is not true and given you examples and reasoning supporting that position but you refuse to give me an example that demonstrates that he is.

Quote:

If you can offer one for consideration, we'll discuss it.

You are attempting to get me to argue your case for you. I've already stated that I don't think there is such an example. If you contend that there is, it is incumbent upon you to provide it. I'm saying they can all be traced to a denial of reality and that is the only thing that 'offends' God.

If you want to think "sin" is a denial of reality...fine with me. If you want to think all can be traced to a denial of reality...also fine with me.

I think "sin" is doing something that offends a god.

I think I would win that argument every time.
Leadfoot

Wed 14 Oct, 2015 09:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

If you want to think "sin" is a denial of reality...fine with me. If you want to think all can be traced to a denial of reality...also fine with me.

You're missing the point. There is no argument because that is true. But Saying that a sin is something that offends a god adds no specificity to what sin is. It does nothing to tell the hearer what he must do to avoid offending God. It doesn't tell you what it is about sin that is offensive. It only leaves the hearer wondering and hoping he does not inadvertently stumble into offending because he has no ******* idea what it might be. I.e., a nightmare scenario.

My answer attempted to bring some understanding and meaning to the term 'sin'.

Of course this all assumes that one believes there is a God, otherwise Im wasting valuable time that I could be spending with my GF who is impatiently waiting for me in bed.

Good night all...
Frank Apisa

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 05:56 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

You're missing the point. There is no argument because that is true. But Saying that a sin is something that offends a god adds no specificity to what sin is. It does nothing to tell the hearer what he must do to avoid offending God. It doesn't tell you what it is about sin that is offensive. It only leaves the hearer wondering and hoping he does not inadvertently stumble into offending because he has no ******* idea what it might be. I.e., a nightmare scenario.

My answer attempted to bring some understanding and meaning to the term 'sin'.

IT IS?????

How the hell do you suppose saying that sin is "a denial of reality" helps anyone understand what "sin" supposedly is...

...while my saying "sin is something that offends one's god" is obscure?

Are you kidding...or just playing a game of some kind?

Masturbating is not denying reality...but it is considered a sin by many, because masturbating OFFENDS the god of the Bible.

Eating meat and cheese together is not denying reality...but it is considered a sin my many, because doing so OFFENDS the god of the Bible.

Quote:
Of course this all assumes that one believes there is a God, otherwise Im wasting valuable time that I could be spending with my GF who is impatiently waiting for me in bed.

Good night all...

Hoping into the sack with your girlfriend is not a denial of reality, Leadfoot...but many people consider it to be sin because doing it offends their god.

You are about to jump into the sack with your girlfriend. Have enough respect for her to wake the hell up before doing so.

Just sayin'.

Oh...and I am about to leave for the golf course. I intend to break 70 (!) today...WHICH IS A DENIAL OF REALITY...but not a sin.
Leadfoot

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 07:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
Defining the things you mentioned as sins is a denial of reality.

Hope you broke 70, and if you didn't, you can have a clear conscious. Hoping for better things does not offend God.
neologist

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 10:14 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Defining the things you mentioned as sins is a denial of reality.

Hope you broke 70, and if you didn't, you can have a clear conscious. Hoping for better things does not offend God.
Let's hope Frank will remain conscious all day.
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 10:19 am
@InfraBlue,
Jehovah's permission to Satan was not absolute.
I can give someone permission to drive my car without including permission to drive on the sidewalk.
neologist

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 10:33 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
. . Actually, it was the god who neglected to take the attribute of free will into account. . .
Amazing! Since he created humans with that facility. Do you suppose he forgot?
Glenn wrote:
Also, it would be better if the days referred to in the creation narrative were 24 hour intervals. That would make the biblical claim that the earth was created along with all manner of green things before the sun a little more believable. But even then it remains unbelievable.
Incredible!
How did you discover that?
Glennn

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 12:40 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Amazing! Since he created humans with that facility. Do you suppose he forgo

You miss the point. If the god created people with free will, then what possible problem would he have with our exercise of that attribute?

Quote:
How did you discover that?

I'm not sure what you mean to convey with this comment, as it is not a valid response to my point. But as it is written, I will answer:
I've read it. Haven't you?
InfraBlue

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 01:33 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I can give someone permission to drive my car without including permission to drive on the sidewalk.

So, God gave permission to Satan saying, "he (and by extension humankind, by your interpretation) is in your hands, just don't kill him," and by the way, don't drive on the sidewalk.

Got it.
neologist

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 06:02 pm
@InfraBlue,
neologist wrote:
InfraBlue wrote:
So, God gave permission to Satan saying, "he (and by extension humankind, by your interpretation) is in your hands, just don't kill him," and by the way, don't drive on the sidewalk.

Got it.
Mostly.
Satan's culpability is considerably greater and extends further back in history than the exchange of Job 2:4.